IGNORED

My Swing (Vinsk)

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Both videos are with a wedge. Ball striking was overall nice. The most occurring miss was a fade. Had a few fat shots that looked no different on video. Still working on keeping right arm extended and a good shoulder turn. My left arm feels a little off....hard to describe ......

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really nice job with the pivot.

Keep an eye on that grip, make sure the heel pad of the right hand is "on top" of the grip. Can see how your heel pad is more on the side of the grip.

Will help with the structure at the top of the backswing (and downswing), make things less "bouncy" at 4 and help reduce/eliminate those fat shots.

Also, are you close to Lake Mary? That's where Mike Bender teaches and he would be a great guy to go to for lessons. One of the one or two guys in the top 10 that actually belongs in the top 10 ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Again thanks Mike. I checked and Mike Bender is only an hour away from me so that could be a great idea. I've watched a few videos of him and liked them so I'm glad you approve of him. I'm a bit perplexed with the grip. I honestly feel my heel pad is in the proper position. I'm using a midsize grip now because I think the standard grip was slipping. I read your grip instruction post and feel I'm doing it as you show. I'll post a pic of my grip from different angles. I wonder if my grip is changing during my swing? I have a hard time getting a "feel" with the grip because multiple sizes feel good to me. If it helps, my wrist to tip of middle finger is 7 5/8" and longest finger is 3.5".

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Again thanks Mike. I checked and Mike Bender is only an hour away from me so that could be a great idea. I've watched a few videos of him and liked them so I'm glad you approve of him.

For sure, he's certainly been a positive influence on me through other instructors I've learned from.

I have a hard time getting a "feel" with the grip because multiple sizes feel good to me. If it helps, my wrist to tip of middle finger is 7 5/8" and longest finger is 3.5".

You want the tips of the fingers of the right hand to touch the inside part of your hand. Don't want the fingers digging in or for there to be space.

Mike McLoughlin

Mike! Had a great 9 holes today. Only focused on what you've said and shot 38 (+2). Hit all 7 fairways including one drive 307yds. Really felt nice. Grip photo next....thanks!

@mvmac Hey Mike. Based on what you've seen of my swing, what is your opinion as the cause of my chicken wing? I've tried to do slow swings and focus on my follow through to look like yours, but as soon as I try a full swing my right arm automatically bends just after impact. My right ac joint has some osteoarthritic problems but it doesn't seem to bother me in other movements so I don't think that's the cause. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry, getting ahead of myself, I need to wait before addressing that.

@mvmac

Hey Mike. Based on what you've seen of my swing, what is your opinion as the cause of my chicken wing? I've tried to do slow swings and focus on my follow through to look like yours, but as soon as I try a full swing my right arm automatically bends just after impact. My right ac joint has some osteoarthritic problems but it doesn't seem to bother me in other movements so I don't think that's the cause. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ask Mike Bender ;-)

Chicken wing is typically an attempt to save the shot. Pulling the arms apart shortens the swing radius to avoid hitting the ground well behind the ball.

So the less narrow you get at the top and the better the grip is, the less you'll "throw" the club from the top.

Heel pad not being on top (at that's what I'm seeing) leads to the shaft collapsing towards you. Not saying it has to look exactly like the right pic, just an example.

When it gets narrow you have to throw the club from the top. This will cause problems with contact.

But the right arm isn't all that bad, it's pretty straight at impact. You'll notice that the shaft and lead arm aren't lined up (Key #3), so that early "throw" is causing things to line up too early and the bent right arm in the next pic is just a result if the club overtaking the hands at a fast rate.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 years later...
43 minutes ago, GOLFNINJA said:

Thank you for that. I have had much success teaching my USS. I guess with basketball the ball is up in the air a bit rather than sitting on the ground - nevertheless - a stance in readiness to make a dynamic move is required. Of course every sport will be different - just the nature of the beast, but if I can relate to people leaning the game skills they may have already used and modify them for golf then that is surely a good thing.

If it gets your students to do what’s needed I’m sure that’s fine. For me, I’ve given up trying to relate any prior athletic or common body mechanics to the golf swing. Nothing in the golf swing feels natural to me. The ‘skip a rock, throw a ball at the ground with your trail hand? Nonsense. I can do both of those repeatedly with precision. Put a golf club in my hand? Zero ability to do it. No sport I’ve played do I stand as I’m supposed to in golf. Being prepared to quickly move forward or backward fits many sports whereas  neither action occurs in golf. And most sports with body action don’t require a steady head. Of course I’m not knocking anybody’s instruction. I just happen to suffer from being one of the most untalented  and zero sense of feel for the golf swing. 

29 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

If it gets your students to do what’s needed I’m sure that’s fine. For me, I’ve given up trying to relate any prior athletic or common body mechanics to the golf swing. Nothing in the golf swing feels natural to me. The ‘skip a rock, throw a ball at the ground with your trail hand? Nonsense. I can do both of those repeatedly with precision. Put a golf club in my hand? Zero ability to do it. No sport I’ve played do I stand as I’m supposed to in golf. Being prepared to quickly move forward or backward fits many sports whereas  neither action occurs in golf. And most sports with body action don’t require a steady head. Of course I’m not knocking anybody’s instruction. I just happen to suffer from being one of the most untalented  and zero sense of feel for the golf swing. 

I’m sure you’re not too bad!! I think as golfers we can suffer a bit from over thought at times. I think it’s is fantastic that we have so many ‘ways’ of doing it and they’re all being discussed and put forward for us all to learn from. Good luck with your swing mate - whatever you can do, bear in mind I have seen much much worse!

1 hour ago, GOLFNINJA said:

I’m sure you’re not too bad!! I think as golfers we can suffer a bit from over thought at times. I think it’s is fantastic that we have so many ‘ways’ of doing it and they’re all being discussed and put forward for us all to learn from. Good luck with your swing mate - whatever you can do, bear in mind I have seen much much worse!

Lol. I’m sure you’ve seen uglier swings than mine. But I’d wager I may make the top of your list as quite an anomaly. I even had a rather popular YouTube instructor who favors wisdom and a grass whip who basically gave up on me and just told me to start playing right handed instead of left. 😖

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol. I’m sure you’ve seen uglier swings than mine. But I’d wager I may make the top of your list as quite an anomaly. I even had a rather popular YouTube instructor who favors wisdom and a grass whip who basically gave up on me and just told me to start playing right handed instead of left. 😖

Hahaha....never!!!

• 1 month later...

0EEF2144-2E33-4A3D-93C3-E44B1A878925.thumb.png.607c470a15b656b4fd3c8a86ff98da02.png@mvmac Hey Mike! I was just wanting to ask how this bs position looks to you. I’ve been practicing this in a mirror and tried to duplicate what I felt while on the range. I’ve been swinging way too inside and flat and thinking I may need to put a stick in the ground off my trail foot to encourage me to swing over it. 

THIS IS JUST A SNAP SHOT.

Edited by Vinsk

On 9/17/2018 at 4:50 PM, Vinsk said:

0EEF2144-2E33-4A3D-93C3-E44B1A878925.thumb.png.607c470a15b656b4fd3c8a86ff98da02.png@mvmac Hey Mike! I was just wanting to ask how this bs position looks to you. I’ve been practicing this in a mirror and tried to duplicate what I felt while on the range. I’ve been swinging way too inside and flat and thinking I may need to put a stick in the ground off my trail foot to encourage me to swing over it. 

THIS IS JUST A SNAP SHOT.

@mvmac Sorry, I forgot to use the call sign. Thoughts on this position? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone? I seem to be able to make this bs when I’m just practicing without hitting a ball. However as soon as I go to hit the bs becomes flat and miserable again. WTF is the matter with me?

Edited by Vinsk

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

WTF is the matter with me?

Looks like you suffer from incontinence 😊 I can sweat like crazy as well. 

5 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Looks like you suffer from incontinence 😊 I can sweat like crazy as well. 

lol! Yeah...Florida in September. Too hot for Depends so I just let it go.....lol.

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Florida in September. Too hot

I am glad you have a sense of humor. I was a little hesitant pushing the submit button. My wife claims she wouldn't mind living in Florida year round, but I am not sure I could handle the heat. She says the coastal breezes would make it OK. Heading there in November for a couple weeks. The courses I usually play are closed. One permanently and one temporarily. Will probably try a Donald Ross course in Dunedin.

Edited by Carl3

Note: This thread is 1418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!