• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetFan1983

In the Rough, Close to the Hole -- What's the Preferred Technique?

81 posts in this topic

Hopefully I'm describing this accurately. You're in the rough, but close to the hole. Maybe you're only 15 feet away from the pin.

How are you approaching this shot? Let's assume varying types of lies here, but still in the rough, so if you could, mention variations you would make based on deep, mid or light rough. What's your club selection? Your ball position?

Lately, I've tended to get better results playing a 56.14 degree sand wedge off my back foot for this type of shot in most types of rough and lies. I'm wondering if that's how a pro would play it, but if not, I'd love to get an idea of what's better.

And just so there are some visuals here, I'm stealing these three photos from @boogielicious 's thread on how to play longer shots from the rough. Check out his thread on that sometime and contribute if you can :-) :

Anyway, back to this thread, here are the three different lies we can work from. Mostly, I'm curious about lie no.2 but feel free to share your approach for all three.

Remember, we're about 15, maybe 20 feet away from the hole for this shot. The green is fairly level. It's not too sloped in either direction.

Lastly, for extra bonus points, how would your approach change -- if at all -- if this was Bermuda rough?

Thanks, guys! :beer:

Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Pitch shot for all three scenarios.  The pitch technique will work better with grass behind the ball.  Dave Stockton talks about this in his book.

I used to try and chip them and didn't believe his advice at first.  But damn!  It works fine.  For the three lies, you just need to increase the length of your pitch with respect to the thickness of the grass.  If it is sitting up, treat it like a sand shot and choke up a bit so you don't go under the ball.

Bermuda is tough stuff and need more club head speed from my limited experience.

Edit, for all the photos, I am assuming that up is the direction you want to go.  If it was left, I may chip the first one.

Awards and Achievements

1. i use a SW and mid trajectory shot where I roll my forearms . ball is low and lands close to hole and rolls.

2.if this bent grass , it be the same as 1. might swing a bit harder to get thru grass. still use SW

if soft turf , i might try to flop or lob depending on my confidence on that day. I usually like to chip if I can.

3.Lob , too much grass( i like to go from open to close face usually ), so i will keep open face lob method. i look for a specific landing spot.

the other shot I tend to aim for a circle around the hole.

For 1, just play it like standard pitch. Could even chip it like this.

For 2 and 3 play it more play a bunker shot. Worst thing you can do would be to play those shots back in the stance.

Awards and Achievements

For 1, just play it like standard pitch. Could even chip it like this.

For 2 and 3 play it more play a bunker shot. Worst thing you can do would be to play those shots back in the stance.

Hey no fair!!  I was totally going to say this!

Seriously ... for 1, I would be worried that I might chunk a standard pitch, so I'd go with chip/putt method, probably with my 54, maybe with my 50.

For 2 and 3 I'd use Eric and Mice's ( :-P )  standard pitching method with my 59.  I'd keep reminding myself "speed, speed, speed" and with a really short backswing.

Awards and Achievements

I would probably use my 60 and chip/punch it with my hands forward.  At only 15'-20', I like to chip.  It seems I have a bit more feel for distance control than a pitch.

If there was a bunker to carry, I would try to pitch it.

Awards and Achievements

Appreciate the replies, guys. Thanks. Not sure why I was having trouble with these the other day on the practice green. I guess it's just tough to control distance when short sided in general.

Awards and Achievements

For 2 and 3 I'd use Eric and Mice's ()  standard pitching method with my 59.  I'd keep reminding myself "speed, speed, speed" and with a really short backswing.

:-P

Yes very true, gotta use speed, going to try and film a couple shots now. I really flare my left foot and "sink" down and into that left leg. Then just let the club head swing with the handle of the club not getting above hip height on the followthrough.

Awards and Achievements

Yes very true, gotta use speed, going to try and film a couple shots now. I really flare my left foot and "sink" down and into that left leg. Then just let the club head swing with the handle of the club not getting above hip height on the followthrough.

This fascinates me, because if I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, Erik has me doing exactly the opposite.  My feeling is to have a more rigid left leg, and almost "stand up" as I'm coming through.  And it has worked like a charm.  When I "sink down" or "go down and get it" ... that's when I end up chunking it 5 feet.

I guess, different strokes (no pun intended) for different folks. :beer:

Awards and Achievements

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

For 2 and 3 I'd use Eric and Mice's ()  standard pitching method with my 59.  I'd keep reminding myself "speed, speed, speed" and with a really short backswing.

Looking forward to the video! :-)

I feel like I have a good short game in general, but these close to the hole shots kind of give me fits. I guess because I'm so close I feel like I should get these up and down at a much higher percentage, but at the same time, on TV, pros always lament getting short sided, so maybe I shouldn't.

Sometimes I'll just grab a 3-wood and putt it (lie no.1 and no.2), and that can be really effective for me as well.

For lie no.2, playing it back in my stance (even though I never do that for really any other short game shot) was giving me the most consistent results during my practice. Not sure why. For lie no.3 I would play it like a mini-bunker shot (probably should've said that in the OP, my bad). And if the green is sloping away from me at like 3% or something, I'll play all three lies like a very mini-bunker shot with the face 45 degrees open or so.

But, like I said, looking forward to the video, and again, enjoying the replies. Thanks, fellas.

Awards and Achievements

This fascinates me, because if I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, Erik has me doing exactly the opposite.  My feeling is to have a more rigid left leg, and almost "stand up" as I'm coming through.  And it has worked like a charm.  When I "sink down" or "go down and get it" ... that's when I end up chunking it 5 feet.

I guess, different strokes (no pun intended) for different folks.

Looking at the video I maybe don't "sink" as low as it feels. I tend to like to "set" myself into the left leg and pivot around it. You might have done it too much or the "stand up" feel helped you open up more through the shot. My tendency is too sag the knees too long for a standard pitch and I've been working on that. But for these shots, I basically feel like I'm hitting a bunker shot.

Looking forward to the video!

I feel like I have a good short game in general, but these close to the hole shots kind of give me fits. I guess because I'm so close I feel like I should get these up and down at a much higher percentage, but at the same time, on TV, pros always lament getting short sided, so maybe I shouldn't.

Sometimes I'll just grab a 3-wood and putt it (lie no.1 and no.2), and that can be really effective for me as well.

For lie no.2, playing it back in my stance (even though I never do that for really any other short game shot) was giving me the most consistent results during my practice. Not sure why. For lie no.3 I would play it like a mini-bunker shot (probably should've said that in the OP, my bad). And if the green is sloping away from me at like 3% or something, I'll play all three lies like a very mini-bunker shot with the face 45 degrees open or so.

But, like I said, looking forward to the video, and again, enjoying the replies. Thanks, fellas.

Unfortunately they cut the rough down around the practice green and I didn't have time to get out on the course. Tried to step on the balls to get some grass behind the ball.  Can see how lose I am with the arms and hands, almost trying to let the shaft "fall" on my left shoulder in the followthrough. Back of the right hand is stay facing the ground, "dealing cards" feel. The lies are more "scruffy" than they look on camera.

Is this about the distance you're talking about?

Awards and Achievements

Thanks @mvmac !  Now how about a video for the rough with full swing shots in the other rough thread?

Awards and Achievements

@mvmac Thanks a lot for that. It's too bad they cut the rough!!! :mad:

But I dig the video anyway. I think I mean even closer to the hole than that.

Hey, this weekend, when I get out there, I'll try to make a video to show the situation I'm talking about! And I'll be sure to use more of a pitch technique, than one back in my stance, for sure.

Still, thanks for that great response. :-)

Awards and Achievements

Looking at the video I maybe don't "sink" as low as it feels. I tend to like to "set" myself into the left leg and pivot around it. You might have done it too much or the "stand up" feel helped you open up more through the shot. My tendency is too sag the knees too long for a standard pitch and I've been working on that. But for these shots, I basically feel like I'm hitting a bunker shot.

Unfortunately they cut the rough down around the practice green and I didn't have time to get out on the course. Tried to step on the balls to get some grass behind the ball.  Can see how lose I am with the arms and hands, almost trying to let the shaft "fall" on my left shoulder in the followthrough. Back of the right hand is stay facing the ground, "dealing cards" feel. The lies are more "scruffy" than they look on camera.

Is this about the distance you're talking about?

Nice Mike!  What club are you using there?  60??

Awards and Achievements

Thanks @mvmac !  Now how about a video for the rough with full swing shots in the other rough thread?

I'll check that out.

Hey, this weekend, when I get out there, I'll try to make a video to show the situation I'm talking about! And I'll be sure to use more of a pitch technique, than one back in my stance, for sure.

Yeah sorry I was thinking I was maybe too far away. When you can take a video or pic of what you mean.

Nice Mike!  What club are you using there?  60??

58. I do tend to open to face up a bit more than a standard pitch, even more than a bunker shot. The rough, especially on lies 2 and 3, can get grabby and if I'm going to err, I'm going to swing faster than slower, so it helps to have a little more loft. First thing I want to make sure I do is to get on the green, this isn't a technique or shot that puts you in danger of thinning over the green so I'm not afraid to use a little extra speed.

I don't consciously think "swing faster", it's more of a feel with my practice swings.

Awards and Achievements

I play the shot for 2 and 3 as a bunker shot when I don't have much green to work with such as in your video. If I have green o work with, I'd rather chip it out. Easier shot for me to hit cleanly. I have shots like that all the time. :) In Bermuda. I live in Florida. In Bermuda, you gotta pop it out.

I filmed myself practicing this shot today, so check it out if you all are interested. Took the advice of playing it like a pitch shot. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I'm using a 56.14 degree sand wedge, square face. Lie no.2 in the OP for both shots. I'm about 14 feet from the hole. Bermuda rough.

In retrospect, from face-on, the ball looks too far back in my stance. And maybe I should've opened the face a bit, I dunno. I guess stance width could be narrower.

@mvmac what do you think about the setup and motion? And it doesn't have to be Mike that responds, anyone can. Thanks, guys :-)

Crap, it's hard to see the lies I had. Should've paid more attention to that. My fault.

Awards and Achievements

@JetFan1983 , nice video. Couldn't help but chuckle. "So that's what you want me to do" after your first pitch.

Awards and Achievements