IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice look at the first hole, I really like the "minimalist" look. U.S. Open is only 18 days away!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love Pinehurst, I was there for the 1999 US Open and personally witnessed Payne Stewart sink that final putt on 18. It was an incredible experience.

My prediction will be Tiger wins, and Phil is second with 1 shot behind.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I love Pinehurst, I was there for the 1999 US Open and personally witnessed Payne Stewart sink that final putt on 18. It was an incredible experience. My prediction will be Tiger wins, and Phil is second with 1 shot behind.

Tigers probably not even going to play, i can see a guy like Kuchar or Furyk winning

Riley

http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen14/story/_/id/10968093/callaway-offers-match-phil-mickelson-us-open-payday-contest

Quote:

The company announced Thursday the "Big Big Bertha Payday" promotion whereby golfers who demo the brand's Big Bertha drivers or fairway wood at retailers before the final round of this year's U.S. Open will be entered into a drawing. The winner will get a lump sum payment of the exact amount of money Mickelson, who endorses Callaway, wins at Pinehurst.

Consumers who demo the product will be given a code and entered into a random drawing. The winner will win whatever Mickelson wins. If he wins the U.S. Open, Mickelson and the lucky consumer will win $1.5 million.

Tigers probably not even going to play, i can see a guy like Kuchar or Furyk winning

Your sarcasm detector is off a bit.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

My prediction will be Tiger wins, and Phil is second with 1 shot behind.

Your sarcasm detector is off a bit.

I htink your sarcasm creator is off by a bit as well.  Nothing about your comment implied you were joking, and @RJH999 was just trying to inform.  Gotta add a smiley at the end :-P , or make it obvious by picking somebody a lot less likely to come in second than Phil. :beer:

Would love to see a close up of that sandy rough area on the fairway edges.

I'm picking Sergio

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I htink your sarcasm creator is off by a bit as well.  Nothing about your comment implied you were joking, and @RJH999 was just trying to inform.  Gotta add a smiley at the end :-P , or make it obvious by picking somebody a lot less likely to come in second than Phil.:beer:

I think Michael Campbell will win.

Riley

I think Michael Campbell will win.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

I[quote name="k14" url="/t/74727/2014-us-open-at-pinehurst-2-discussion-thread#post_993272"]Well sorry to burst your bubble but he has already pulled out :( [/quote] I know

Riley

looking at all the flyovers now...this is laid out TOUGH

T to green it is honestly not a tough course - it is all about the greens. I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys. i am excited to for the open - I loved #2 before the makeover and after it is even better - i would not be shocked to see -7 or 8 as a winner and I think it will be an exciting Open.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

T to green it is honestly not a tough course - it is all about the greens. I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys. i am excited to for the open - I loved #2 before the makeover and after it is even better - i would not be shocked to see -7 or 8 as a winner and I think it will be an exciting Open.

I would agree with this 100%. I loved playing there and even the sandy areas and pinestraw are not going to be killers....the greens are the key.

Playing there and having the caddie tell me to hit a right to left put 5 inches out, when I KNEW the break I saw was at least 5 inches left to right...well, it only took me 2 misses and him laughing and saying "trust me" before I listened.

I have never played greens where you could trust your eyes less.

Both U.S. Opens held there had a winning score of Even, so I'm not expecting low scores unless it gets really wet.

Last US Open there was the one where Goosen had a firm grip on the Championship and was on his way to winning his 3rd US Open in 5 years and then shocked everyone by having an awful final round and Michael Campbell ended up winning.

Usually the rough isn't bad at Pinehurst....it's just a matter of holding your shots on the green. and grinding for pars. I think Spieth is a good US Open-style player and I think he has to be the favorite coming into the Open, especially given the way he's been playing. No doubt he's the favorite. Kaymer's on good form, but not sure his short game can hold up at Pinehurst.

I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys.

I would agree with this 100%. I loved playing there and even the sandy areas and pinestraw are not going to be killers....the greens are the key.

What about the "grassy and weedy" areas off to the side.  What is it?  Is it rough?  Ice plant?  Anything at all to worry about?

I can't tell from the flyover.  What I can tell, though, is that that course looks pretty amazing.  I'd love to play there!

I like Spieth, but I am not sure his putting is going to hold up on the greens. For some reason, Graeme McDowell seems to me like he will be standing at the end.

I agree, I'm always just amazed at the length of the pro tees.  The numbers seem huge to someone like me.

Still, I'm sure my guess for winning score (-6), is still optimistic.  I think scores will be held tighter than some of the birdie-fests out there, but I always expect someone or three to have a breakout tourny and stand apart.  (i.e., lots of players at +1 to -1, maybe one or two to break away at -5 or -6.....)

just guessing, I haven't been checking stats or watching as much this year.

Bill - 

Anyone know where the women are playing their US Open this year? ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!