IGNORED

I am nothing like a Pro Golfer!!!!!

Break80
Note: This thread is 3613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shoot, I'm a lot like a pro golfer. ;-) We both have 14 clubs, a golf ball and a tee. We both tee the ball up and whack it down the fairway (or other places), and we both try to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as we can.

It wasn't like I was waiting for you to say this or anything :whistle: I'm sure he "controlled" the scoring with the higher handicaps, but I bet he sweated a few holes to make sure you and he only tied them. B-)

Trust me, he didn't sweat anything! Well, maybe 9. Thought I was gonna beat him with my birdie there, but he jammed in a 15 footer to tie me. Funny though...afterwards, when his wife joined us, she did mention that when he came home, he was pretty proud of the way he played. He wasn't messing around. Nothing on the line, but wanted to show us what a top tour pro could do. I'm still stunned, and I play with some pretty solid (genuine scratch) players on a regular basis....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trust me, he didn't sweat anything! Well, maybe 9. Thought I was gonna beat him with my birdie there, but he jammed in a 15 footer to tie me.

Funny though...afterwards, when his wife joined us, she did mention that when he came home, he was pretty proud of the way he played. He wasn't messing around. Nothing on the line, but wanted to show us what a top tour pro could do. I'm still stunned, and I play with some pretty solid (genuine scratch) players on a regular basis....

What are you, a fisherman???  It was 8 feet!! :beer:

Again, you see it all the time, pros make mistakes too. I mean De Jonge shoots an 80...then fires a 62 the next day. Kucher shoots 65....then 78. Settle down. None of us are saying we can beat a pro in a match....silly. Stick to the argument and read carefully. Winning one hole in 18 against a pro is hardly impossible for an 8 handicap. Period. End of argument.

Okay, but we were talking about a 20? Or 25 handicap, and not a single digit winning a hole.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just a little input here. When i was playing at my home course one weekend me and my friend got paired up with about a 25 year old guy who had just graduated from golf school and is now an assistant pro, soon to be the head pro (current pro very old) at a respectable local course.  I was expecting something like a 68-72 range from this guy, but this was not the case at all.  I had a decent day for myself and shot 84, but this guy was very whiny but clearly had some good shots in the bag, but on holes where we both killed our drives i would be about 15 yards past him.  and im a sophomore in high school!!! he ended up with an 80.  From only 6,500 yards! now, i know that an assistant pro is not even close to a tour pro, but i would at least think he should be mid to high 70s at worst on a relatively easy course such as the one we played at, as he is a golf PROFESSIONAL...no disrespect to pros here, especially tour pros, but just a story i thought i should share....yes this is 100% true

Yeah, but that 6 hcp guy really sucks!

He was a 5 then ;-)

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Just a little input here. When i was playing at my home course one weekend me and my friend got paired up with about a 25 year old guy who had just graduated from golf school and is now an assistant pro, soon to be the head pro (current pro very old) at a respectable local course.  I was expecting something like a 68-72 range from this guy, but this was not the case at all.  I had a decent day for myself and shot 84, but this guy was very whiny but clearly had some good shots in the bag, but on holes where we both killed our drives i would be about 15 yards past him.  and im a sophomore in high school!!! he ended up with an 80.  From only 6,500 yards! now, i know that an assistant pro is not even close to a tour pro, but i would at least think he should be mid to high 70s at worst on a relatively easy course such as the one we played at, as he is a golf PROFESSIONAL...no disrespect to pros here, especially tour pros, but just a story i thought i should share....yes this is 100% true

Being that type of pro does not require very good golf skills, I know they have to do a playing qualification but it's not as hard as people would think but then again when your playing for your livelihood nothing is easy.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yeah, but im just saying, as a 15 year old who has taken golf seriously for about a year coming within 5 strokes of someone who does it for a living?

Your story sounds a lot like my son's, and like many other high school golfers. Most of you guys have gotten into the low teens and high single digits by the end of freshman year.

However, the person you are talking about is supposed to be an instructor, and not a player. He doesn't really need to play that much better than he already does. Although it would be nice, he has nothing to worry about if he has a bad day playing, but a great day teaching.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Who said anything about bogey golfer against graeme mcdowell? On a legitimate bogey golfers good day I dont think it would be impossible to win a fricking hole vs A Pro Golfer. (It doesnt have to be a poster boy of golf that hes playing against) Lets put e.g. british amateur champion vs graeme mc dowell or jim furyk or somebody... I hope you people realize that golf amateurs have ACTUALLY BEATEN ENTIRE FIELDS OF PRO GOLFERS IN TOURNAMENT. They just cant accept monetary prizes for winning because theyre amateur status and not pro status.

1:1,000,000 chance is all you give a bogy golfer at winning 1 hole in an 18 hole match play?

That's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? Or do you really believe that? :)

Who said anything about bogey golfer against graeme mcdowell?

On a legitimate bogey golfers good day I dont think it would be impossible to win a fricking hole vs A Pro Golfer. (It doesnt have to be a poster boy of golf that hes playing against)

Lets put e.g. british amateur champion vs graeme mc dowell or jim furyk or somebody...

I hope you people realize that golf amateurs have ACTUALLY BEATEN ENTIRE FIELDS OF PRO GOLFERS IN TOURNAMENT. They just cant accept monetary prizes for winning because theyre amateur status and not pro status.

I brought it up, and that has been the subject of argument, although I have no idea why there is any argument. Sure, it does not have to be Graeme. Someone mentioned that John Daly struggled on on a particular hole with 12 strokes. If he were to play a bogey golfer, he would make different decisions to win more conservatively. He knows that he can out drive a bogey golfer with his irons and would adjust his strategy accordingly.

Also keep in mind that the 80's the pros score are on courses a bogey would struggle quite a bit on, and a bogey (roughly 18 handicap) golfer does not even typically score 80's even on standard courses.

It's not some mystical awe of the supernatural professional golfer, golf is a game of statistics. The odds are stacked against the bogey golfer even winning one hole.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Rory lost by one stroke to his marker buddy at Augusta during one round. And rory was outdriving that clubplayer all the time. I guess pros can lose to amateur once in a while ;) Rory even admitted that this club amateur was playing really well. He had the course record at 65 strokes. Rory played 71 and the guy played 70.

Rory lost by one stroke to his marker buddy at Augusta during one round. And rory was outdriving that clubplayer all the time. I guess pros can lose to amateur once in a while ;)

Rory even admitted that this club amateur was playing really well. He had the course record at 65 strokes. Rory played 71 and the guy played 70.

That's kind of obvious. . .but what does it have to do with our discussion about me giving nearly million to one odds for a bogey golfer vs a pro? I'm giving up.

I feel bad for the original poster who stated the obvious in my mind.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Rory lost by one stroke to his marker buddy at Augusta during one round. And rory was outdriving that clubplayer all the time. I guess pros can lose to amateur once in a while ;)

Rory even admitted that this club amateur was playing really well. He had the course record at 65 strokes. Rory played 71 and the guy played 70.

Yeah I remember reading a story about Garcia losing to the marker at Augusta as well and refused to shake his hand at the end of the round.  I don't know the stats of the round though, the story was more about pointing out how much of a monstrous douchebag Garcia is.

What are you, a fisherman???  It was 8 feet!! :beer:

This time next year it'll be 30 feet! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I brought it up, and that has been the subject of argument, although I have no idea why there is any argument. Sure, it does not have to be Graeme. Someone mentioned that John Daly struggled on on a particular hole with 12 strokes. If he were to play a bogey golfer, he would make different decisions to win more conservatively. He knows that he can out drive a bogey golfer with his irons and would adjust his strategy accordingly.

Also keep in mind that the 80's the pros score are on courses a bogey would struggle quite a bit on, and a bogey (roughly 18 handicap) golfer does not even typically score 80's even on standard courses.

It's not some mystical awe of the supernatural professional golfer, golf is a game of statistics. The odds are stacked against the bogey golfer even winning one hole.

I have no idea why there is an argument either, but for the opposite reason. You do realize that bogey golfers sometimes make birdies and eagles don't you?

Hell I made an eagle on the fourth hole of the first round I ever played and I wasn't even close to as good as a "bogey golfer". As time went on that first year or two I made just as many eagles and almost as many birdies as I make now (sandwiched in between multiple snowmen and much worse).

It doesn't matter how good a Tour player is he can't just summon a birdie or an eagle anytime he wants.

Quote:
I have no idea why there is an argument either,

There isn't really.  What I actually wrote isn't being debated.  What I actually wrote was that an 8 handicap couldn't beat a pro one hole under the pressure of a PGA Tour event on a PGA Tour course under the bright lights.  That was subsequently changed to both "any amateur" (not an 8 handicap) and "on my local course" (so, not in a PGA event then).

Quote:
I hope you people realize that golf amateurs have ACTUALLY BEATEN ENTIRE FIELDS OF PRO GOLFERS IN TOURNAMENT. They just cant accept monetary prizes for winning because theyre amateur status and not pro status.

*Sigh*.  Obviously "an amateur" can beat a pro one hole.  Justin Rose got T-3 at the British as an amateur.  What I said was that that particular poster can't, who is an 8 handicap.  That isn't the same thing.

Not sure why I bother, but to restate it:

I agree that an amateur golfer (i.e. 8 handicap etc.) playing at his local against a pro on a Saturday with no pressure and no reason for the pro to try could, theoretically, win a hole.  I think its unlikely, but possible.  I said this in the first post pretty explicitly.

I contend that such a golfer has no chance to win a hole against a pro on a PGA Course with the pressure of a gallery and a real incentive for winning/losing such that the pro tries as hard as he can to win every hole.

• Administrator
I contend that such a golfer has no chance to win a hole against a pro on a PGA Course with the pressure of a gallery and a real incentive for winning/losing such that the pro tries as hard as he can to win every hole.

Remember the guy who triple bogeyed then lost in the playoff (Kyle Stanley?)? Pretty sure you could have put a hundred 8s on that tee and a good number of them score a 7, 6, or even a 5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!