IGNORED

A question for singles

Bej0520
Note: This thread is 3616 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know many golfer's and want to get out more. I don't mind heading out as a single but I feel awkward doing so during courses busy hours (Sat or Sun before 11). Do courses generally frown upon singles coming out during these hours?

The course that I work at actually is a bit happy when a single wants a tee time around then. That's because otherwise if a group of 3 wants to play, they get a separate tee time from the other groups of 2, 3, and 4 when they could be selling an extra round in that timeslot. As long as you don't mind getting paired up with others, and expect to, it should be a-ok for you to do this. The only issue would be if you wanted a tee time all to yourself.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am sometimes in the same boat ... I wait until after 10 am ... Usually get paired up with others. So good question for me too ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I don't mind getting paired up with random people, but I sometimes really would rather not play with someone I don't know. Sometimes it does feel like you play to the level of those around you. There are times where I play really well with other people, so well they think I'm a single handicap, if they are good players. However if I play with some real duffers it seems like it infects my swing when I watch them. Also, sometimes if I start struggling, having someone else around can increase my anxiety and cause it to get worse. Another thing is, you never know if you are going to get a person who likes to give you advice and/or asks for advice constantly. I'd typically rather play by myself or with someone I know.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Thanks for the response. I don't mind getting paired up at all but worry that people don't like getting paired with a single. I know that a twosome would expect to get paired up but I feel awkward getting paired with a threesome.

No need to feel awkward if that's how the course pairs you up. In your first post you mentioned not knowing many golfers. Getting paired up or playing in choose up games is the best way I know to remedy that. When I was a club member I would see people join the club but always play alone and never go to any effort to join up with any of the games. They almost never improved much and almost always (and inevitably) quit playing after a year or two. Those that joined in with the groups more improved more and the friendships they formed kept them playing the game as much as the golf did. When I decided to quit the club the worst part about it (and the thing that made it a hard decision) was leaving all of my friends that I had played soooo many rounds with.

If you're a nice guy then don't worry about it in the least. People might be a little wary at first but by the end of the round of your nice they'll have had a great time and you will as well.

Colin P.

I play as a single most of the time - never had an issue, never even thought about people not wanting to get paired with a single - it's part of the game.      Play golf when your schedule allows ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Thanks for the response. I don't mind getting paired up at all but worry that people don't like getting paired with a single. I know that a twosome would expect to get paired up but I feel awkward getting paired with a threesome.

I don't think it matters whether you get paired with a twosome or a threesome.  Only once did I get paired with a twosome and have a lame round.  It was a guy and his wife and the wife was pleasant to me but the guy seemed pissed the entire time.  I'm pretty sure he wanted a date round with just him and his wife.  And only once did I have a lame round with a threesome.  I can't even remember anymore but it was 3 Asian or Mexican guys and I think only 1 of them knew some English.  We made almost no attempt to talk to eachother the entire round so I was stuck in this slow group and couldn't even pass the time with random conversation.

Just like Pretzel said, golf courses want your money. They "don't like" to give a single a tee time without pairing them with some one because that would be unsold slots. However, when it's slow, they ultimately want your money and they want you to come back and pay them again.

As far as feeling awkward, there were several times I was paired with threesomes because they lost their 4th. By the 12th hole they were asking me if I'd be interested in joining them regularly. So try thinking of it as an opportunity to meet 3 new golfers. If you get stuck in a bad group, just go into Tiger mode (don't worry about them, stop talking, focus very hard on just playing golf and try to score low). Good Luck.

I play as a single frequently and I've never ran into an issue where the others I joined had a problem.   I'm not the best golfer in the world but I do play ready golf and try to always be on my best behavior.   Yesterday I played for $10 via Golf Now and ended up playing with two mechanics that work on the golf carts at a local course!   We had a great time.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I go out single upon occasions and have met some great folks that way.  Sometimes I feel a little out of place when I get paired up with some scratch golfers playing from the tips but I just make sure I don't hold them up.  However I don't play the the tips in any case and it doesn't bother me to play shorter tees as long as I keep up.   Just an aside comment, scratch players are not always the quickest players, just sometimes.

Butch

I play often as a single and for the most part do not have a problem.  For 18 holes, I usually ride, and do prefer to ride by myself if playing with strangers, but most golfers are good people and it works out.  The only really bad experience I had was when the starter paired me up with a three-some of golfers who were from a different country.  They insisted that they play only with another golfer from their country - I am not certain if they understood my terse response.  The starter got upset with them and insisted that I be the fourth golfer, and of course I offered to wait for the next opening and &%$# these guys.  The starter asked politely if I would go along with the point he was trying to make and let me take my own cart.  Putting was uncomfortable on the first few greens but after a while we tolerated each other and we did nod at each other at the end of the round.  But most of my experiences have been fine.

I don't know many golfer's and want to get out more. I don't mind heading out as a single but I feel awkward doing so during courses busy hours (Sat or Sun before 11).

I hear you.  I have played many times as a single over the past 25 years.  My approach works for me and it might work for you.

1. Over time I have learned which courses are more "single friendly".  These courses are perfectly fine with placing a single with a 2-some or 3-some or collecting a bunch of us strays and creating a 4-some.  Because of the course's approach, most players know if they arrive with less than four golfers, the course may insert one or two players.

2. The courses I play as a single typically allow walking at all times.  I prefer to not spend 4 hours rubbing shoulders with someone I do not know and my assumption is he/she probably feels the same way.

3. I usually play the same tee as the other players I have joined (unless it is 3 women playing the forward tees).  On rare ocassions I have joined a group that play the tips at 7,000+ yards.  In those instances I will play up one or more tees so as to not hold things up when I can't reach most of the holes in regulation.

Brian Kuehn

I hear you.  I have played many times as a single over the past 25 years.  My approach works for me and it might work for you.

1. Over time I have learned which courses are more "single friendly".  These courses are perfectly fine with placing a single with a 2-some or 3-some or collecting a bunch of us strays and creating a 4-some.  Because of the course's approach, most players know if they arrive with less than four golfers, the course may insert one or two players.

2. The courses I play as a single typically allow walking at all times.  I prefer to not spend 4 hours rubbing shoulders with someone I do not know and my assumption is he/she probably feels the same way.

3. I usually play the same tee as the other players I have joined (unless it is 3 women playing the forward tees).  On rare ocassions I have joined a group that play the tips at 7,000+ yards.  In those instances I will play up one or more tees so as to not hold things up when I can't reach most of the holes in regulation.

I schedule 99% of my tee times as a single and not once have I got the feeling the course didn't like solo players; the idea of a non-single friendly course seems extremely unusual to me.  I have caught a little bit of a cheapskate vibe once or twice when visiting a course and they see I used golfnow to play there though and I thought that was a little bit funny.

I play a lot of solo golf.  I've only had one less than optimal experience with a 3-some that I was put with, but otherwise I've really enjoyed it.  Any time you can be out for a 4 hour walk in the park while chasing that little white ball is good time.  I'm not good, but I don't play slow and I like to think of myself as someone that can get along with anyone.

As long as you're not being 'that guy', I wouldn't feel awkward at all.  You'll be surprised how many times you get paired up with another solo player and have a great time.

I don't know many golfer's and want to get out more. I don't mind heading out as a single but I feel awkward doing so during courses busy hours (Sat or Sun before 11). Do courses generally frown upon singles coming out during these hours?

Not where I play - they like everyone's money.  When you show up as a single, they almost always pair you up with someone.  Very rarely see a single on the course mixed in with a course full of foursomes.  When I was working there, if I did get a single and couldn't find a short group to slip him into but I did have an open time due to a cancellation, I always gave him the warning that he was going be waiting a lot, and not to expect to play through anyone, as the course was full.  Sometimes he'd go out anyway, other times he'd wait and hope for a group to show up short a player.

But we never turned anyone away.  If necessary, I'd put walk-on players on a waiting list and page them as opportunities came up.  I've known a single to wait around for 2 hours before I got an opening for him, but most would give up before that long.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3616 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!