IGNORED

Will Tiger Ever Ascend to No 1 Again?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Tiger Ascend to #1 Again

• Yes
    • No

If I had to bet on this, then I would have to bet no. Do I think he can get back to No. 1, sure - just look at how he played last year. But from where he is today (recovering from surgery), I think he has to redo his swing, again, to try and put less stress on his back & knees and I think he will play a reduced schedule, primarily focusing on preparing for majors.

I will say with certainty, that if he were to rise to No. 1 again and win another major or two it would be great for the game of golf - both those who love him and those who hate him are going to watch whenever he is in contention, as well as people who otherwise never watch golf.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes.

With Tiger playing pain free the intimidation factor will kick back on and he'll swiftly rise to #1

Who knows if Tiger will ever be playing pain free again. Back surgery isn't a cure and from what I've heard, he'll likely still have problems with it.

With that said, Tiger has played through a lot of pain before. Pain or no pain I think it will happen.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Yes, without a doubt.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Absolutely.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Absolutely yes.  I see Tiger reclaiming the number 1 spot.  The only reason why he wouldn't is if this current surgery doesn't help and/or his back gets worse.

If he can stay healthy, I think he could hold the #1 spot for most of the next 10 years.

He's an old 38 year old.     Not sure he has the body (or if we're being brutally honest, the mental toughness on sunday) left to ever regain his past form.      Plus the competition is undoubtedly deeper than it ever was before - every week, there are 50-60 different guys with legitimate shots at winning given a little luck on their side.      This simply was not the case in Tigers prime.     I vote no

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I voted yes.  I think its more likely that he reaches number #1 than that he wins another major.  He could pull off another year like last year.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Tiger will be back at #1 if his injury is healed and he can swing a club without re-injuring his back.   It's going to take some time for him to gain confidence that the surgery repaired his back and that he can swing 100% without risking another injury too it.  I voted yes, but as @David in FL the first time there is real uncertainty to the answer.

Joe Paradiso

When Tiger comes back, he won't be in top form. He has a swing that requires a strong build. With this injury, he's going to lose a significant amount of muscle mass that came from years of weight lifting and intense workouts. At 38 years old (turning 39 this year), Tiger will likely have some trouble regaining the strength he had before the injury. Not to mention, with a back injury, I'm sure his doctor is advising against heavy lifting for quite some time, especially squats. I don't think he'll do very well the remainder of this year and next season, and he'll get rid of Foley. Will he ever come back to number 1? Maybe, but not with the swing he currently has.

• Administrator
When Tiger comes back, he won't be in top form. He has a swing that requires a strong build. With this injury, he's going to lose a significant amount of muscle mass that came from years of weight lifting and intense workouts. At 38 years old (turning 39 this year), Tiger will likely have some trouble regaining the strength he had before the injury. Not to mention, with a back injury, I'm sure his doctor is advising against heavy lifting for quite some time, especially squats. I don't think he'll do very well the remainder of this year and next season, and he'll get rid of Foley. Will he ever come back to number 1? Maybe, but not with the swing he currently has.

Filed for future #claimchowder. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Filed for future #claimchowder. :)

Okay. :-) You know me - I like to make bold predictions. Most of the time, they are wrong. But when they are right, I am going to brag about it. :-P

Why do you think he'll get rid of Foley?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Why do you think he'll get rid of Foley?

Because he'll be pressured into making a change if he's not winning after the injury.

Because he'll be pressured into making a change if he's not winning after the injury.

By whom? There's no evidence to suggest that Tiger changed his swing because of media pressure. And I doubt that Tiger himself thinks that his swing is the problem. He was a dominant force on the Tour before this back injury last year. If not for a few bad breaks and a couple loose shots, he wins the Masters and maybe the British too.

I think Tiger believes in his swing. He's a smart guy; all the stats back Foley's methodology (at least in Tiger's case) up.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

By whom? There's no evidence to suggest that Tiger changed his swing because of media pressure. And I doubt that Tiger himself thinks that his swing is the problem. He was a dominant force on the Tour before this back injury last year. If not for a few bad breaks and a couple loose shots, he wins the Masters and maybe the British too.

I think Tiger believes in his swing. He's a smart guy; all the stats back Foley's methodology (at least in Tiger's case) up.

Tiger felt like he had to make changes in his swing to reduce pressure on his knee, now he'll feel like he has to make changes in his swing to reduce pressure on his back. It's as simple as that.

• Administrator

Tiger felt like he had to make changes in his swing to reduce pressure on his knee, now he'll feel like he has to make changes in his swing to reduce pressure on his back. It's as simple as that.

No it's not. And Tiger's too old to give up two or three years to change his swing. PLUS, Foley has a reputation as helping players with bad backs. That's how he got his start (with Ames).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!