IGNORED

Will Tiger Ever Ascend to No 1 Again?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Tiger Ascend to #1 Again

• Yes
    • No

No it's not. And Tiger's too old to give up two or three years to change his swing. PLUS, Foley has a reputation as helping players with bad backs. That's how he got his start (with Ames).

Well, he has to do something. Since 2011, Woods has missed or withdrawn from 14 tournaments he plays in due to injuries. The only other thing I can think of is playing a limited schedule like Stricker, but he already doesn't play in that many tournaments.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When Tiger comes back, he won't be in top form. He has a swing that requires a strong build. With this injury, he's going to lose a significant amount of muscle mass that came from years of weight lifting and intense workouts. At 38 years old (turning 39 this year), Tiger will likely have some trouble regaining the strength he had before the injury.

That's possible. Time will tell. He may regain his strength, but the better question is.....what will be his next injury? Over the last 6 years he has had several. Knee, achilles heel and of course his back. With his history, no reason to think they are going to stop at this point.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I wonder if his short game will be on another level when he comes back. He's been using all this rehab time to work on chipping and putting...ughhhh I can't wait!

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• 2 months later...
Thought I'd bring this back, given the weekend's events coupled with his poor play in the 3 tourneys he's played since his surgery. Wonder if anyone would like a do-over. He's down to #10, a full 3.5 points behind #1, closer in points to #50 than to #1. May be 30 or 40 by the time he tees it up again. I don't believe Tiger Woods ever again sniffs #1 in the world.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'll reserve judgment until we see the repercussions of this latest back problem. If it forces him to swing easier and lighten his schedule (which I think might be the result of this), then I agree....he won't sniff #1 ever again. He may actually drift outside the top 50 in that scenario. Like I said in another post, Tiger Woods without explosion in his swing is like Mariano Rivera without the cutter. But if he gets that explosion back in his swing and stays healthy, then he can be right back up there on top of the world.

If Tiger can overcome the knee injuries, the achilles pain, the neck trouble, the stress fractures in his left leg, the back surgery, and at age 39 win 5 times next year, then maybe he can ascend back to #1.

I wouldn't rule it out because he is THAT good, but if Rory keeps his head in the game and Tiger continues to struggle to play a somewhat full schedule it's gonna be a lot tougher. Right now Rory is looking like a guy that's going to be top 10 in any tourney he doesn't actually win which is going to make it really hard to knock him out of that spot. Unless Joost Luiten gets hot. ;-) :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think the only person in his way is McIlroy. I'm as big a Tiger fan as they come, and I hope he gets back there, but it'll be tough. Two super duper stars playing at one time? Great for golf.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I think the only person in his way is McIlroy.....

Or Scott, Garcia, Stenson, Rose, Kuchar, et.al......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Or Scott, Garcia, Stenson, Rose, Kuchar, et.al......

I don't think any of them are on his or Rory's level, which is why I only mentioned Rory.

Especially Garcia, Rose, and Kuchar. Scott and Stenson, maybe, but definitely not the other three, imo.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

like one of the guys above me said,,,,, i wonder how many people would like a Do-over, now that Tiger hurt his back again and hasnt played worth a damn.....

jmo, i've said it for a while since Tiger came back to the PGA Tour, that he is just a Regular guy out on the tour now.....   yea he had a good year, last season, but he didnt win any majors again.....

I mean this is what i see, he has a good round, then falls apart, has 2 good rounds, then falls apart.. or just plays average for the tournament or completely misses the cut...

nobody on tour fears TW like they did in the past...

It is what it is

like one of the guys above me said,,,,, i wonder how many people would like a Do-over, now that Tiger hurt his back again and hasnt played worth a damn..... jmo, i've said it for a while since Tiger came back to the PGA Tour, that he is just a Regular guy out on the tour now.....   yea he had a good year, last season, but he didnt win any majors again.....   I mean this is what i see, he has a good round, then falls apart, has 2 good rounds, then falls apart.. or just plays average for the tournament or completely misses the cut... nobody on tour fears TW like they did in the past...

He won three world golf championships and won player of the year. That's pretty dominant.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

I don't think any of them are on his or Rory's level, which is why I only mentioned Rory.  Especially Garcia, Rose, and Kuchar. Scott and Stenson, maybe, but definitely not the other three, imo.

And yet, they, and a handful of others are ahead of a Tiger. FWIW, I voted that Tiger would regain number one at some point, but it sure isn't guaranteed.

In David's bag....

I voted no. It use to be never bet against Tiger. Well I am betting against Tiger. Until he shows me some sort of sustainability, I think he's done being world's number 1.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

And yet, they, and a handful of others are ahead of a Tiger. FWIW, I voted that Tiger would regain number one at some point, but it sure isn't guaranteed.

In terms of what? The OWGR? That's not always accurate, as we all know. What I was more saying is that when tiger is healthy and without rust, they are nowhere near his skill level, even at 39. Rory is the only one I think is close.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

In terms of what? The OWGR ? That's not always accurate, as we all know.

But that's the subject of the thread.....

In David's bag....

But that's the subject of the thread.....

I know that. But that doesn't mean they are better players, and when tiger is healthy and without rust, he wouldn't be held up by them. The only person who could hold him back from taking the #1 spot is Rory, as I've said. Just because they are ahead of him right now doesnt mean they'll be ahead of him once he's fully recovered.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

I know that. But that doesn't mean they are better players, and when tiger is healthy and without rust, he wouldn't be held up by them. The only person who could hold him back from taking the #1 spot is Rory, as I've said. Just because they are ahead of him right now doesnt mean they'll be ahead of him once he's fully recovered.

If he ever "fully recovers". We're still not even sure he was actually hurt this last week or is just finding it easier to claim injury than to justify poor play. Time alone will tell.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!