IGNORED

Whats the 5 wood/3 hybrid arguement?

Note: This thread is 3611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently I hit a 3 hybrid, but it's kind of wore so I'm looking to replace it.  My 3 wood is my most consistent bag in my club (off the tee or the deck).  What would be the benefit of getting a 3 hybrid rather than a 5 wood?

Currently I hit a 3 hybrid, but it's kind of wore so I'm looking to replace it.  My 3 wood is my most consistent bag in my club (off the tee or the deck).  What would be the benefit of getting a 3 hybrid rather than a 5 wood?

It's simple, which goes further and can you see yourself using more often? For me there's no purpose to having a 5 wood. My 3 hybrid is just as good or better. Hybrids are just so much more versatile and practical. Say you get to a 215 yd par 3 - would you rather hit a fairway would or an iron?

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

It's simple, which goes further and can you see yourself using more often? For me there's no purpose to having a 5 wood. My 3 hybrid is just as good or better. Hybrids are just so much more versatile and practical. Say you get to a 215 yd par 3 - would you rather hit a fairway would or an iron?

Would you be able to hit a 5 wood out of tight lies?

Would you be able to hit a 5 wood out of tight lies?

Sure, but why would you want to? I've used my hybrid in horrible right lies and it's smooth as butter.. the 5 wood would sill work but it wouldn't be nearly as successful most times for me. At the end of the day, my hybrid can play from 195-230 yards.. a 5 wood would play 200-230 for me.. But it's the versatility of the hybrid and the fact I can tune the loft lie component to my liking for more situations. You don't have to take what I say extremely seriously, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable hitting. If you much rather hit a 5 wood then by all means go that route. All I know is hybrids are a win win situation for me. I don't have any gaps in distances from my setup you can see in my sig.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I have a 3W and a 5W and can't see a reason to not have both clubs. I also have a 3 hybrid and I seem to rotate back and forth between having the 3 hybrid in the bag and a 3 iron in the bag (mostly just whatever I'm in the mood to hit that day).

This depends on two things: Your swing and your yardage gaps.

Since you do well with your 3W, a 5W probably fill a gap between your 3W and 3H. If you have iron replacement hybrids - designed to replace 3i and 4i within an iron set, you'll probably find a place for the 5W.

If it's "traditional" hybrid, the shaft may be quite a bit longer than your lowest numbered iron, so it might carry farther than an iron-replacement hybrid. With a traditional H, you might end up with both a 3H and a 3i in your bag.

So, you need to find the distance gap between your 3W and longest iron, and find a club or two to bridge the gap. Whether it's a 5W or a hybrid, you probably want a club that will give you distance out of the rough.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best bet is to try a demo or borrow a friend's 5 wood and see how you do.  I have lost some swing speed over the last several years and it is no contest - I can rip (for me) the ball off the fairway with a 2 hybrid but struggle with my 3 wood.  I now carry hybrids from 2 through 6, and carry a 4 -iron for a low running shot only.  But in your case since you hit the 3 wood well I suspect you will do as well with the 5 wood.  Have fun experimenting!

I have a 5W and a 3H (replacement for my 3i). While I hit them both similar distances, I find the hybrid much easier to hit out of the rough while I hit the 5W much better out of the fairway. Needless to say, given my handicap and inconsistency off the tee, I spend a fair amount of time having to hit long approach shots out of the rough so the 3H usually gets more use in any given round. The 5W has, however, been great for me for 2nd shots on par 5s.

But it's the versatility of the hybrid and the fact I can tune the loft lie component to my liking for more situations.

Not during a scoring round, hopefully...  I really want a Titleist hybrid and fairway, but after buying a club membership this year, the better half has slammed the door on any more golf related purchases this season.

I just dropped my 5 wood this season and put a 5H that I bought a few years ago back in the bag.  I tossed it after a year or so, as my swing was pretty aggressive for the flex and the results were terrible.  I previously dialed my iron swing speed back, and this year I did the same for the driver and woods.  I reveling over the ability to hit almost just as far with a stiff shaft and a slower (than usual) swing speed, not to mention better accuracy/repeatability.  I am definitely giving the hybrid a fair chance to stay in the bag this year.

Is the 3H normally comparable to a 5W for distance?  I seem to be carrying the 5H further than the 5W, or maybe the 5W was just a poor fit?

Not during a scoring round, hopefully...  I really want a Titleist hybrid and fairway, but after buying a club membership this year, the better half has slammed the door on any more golf related purchases this season. I just dropped my 5 wood this season and put a 5H that I bought a few years ago back in the bag.  I tossed it after a year or so, as my swing was pretty aggressive for the flex and the results were terrible.  I previously dialed my iron swing speed back, and this year I did the same for the driver and woods.  I reveling over the ability to hit almost just as far with a stiff shaft and a slower (than usual) swing speed, not to mention better accuracy/repeatability.  I am definitely giving the hybrid a fair chance to stay in the bag this year. Is the 3H normally comparable to a 5W for distance?  I seem to be carrying the 5H further than the 5W, or maybe the 5W was just a poor fit?

I meant you can simply adjust it based on distance gaps if there are any. And as far as distance gains between a 3H and 5 wood, like mentioned before I get better numbers with my hybrid than I would with a 5 wood. I'm also able to get the ball higher with my hybrid, an issue I would sometimes have with my woods.

I dont beleive all this.

Real hybrides like adams are rare, most hybrides are just small woods and dont play better than a wood on rough or tight lies or sand.

A 3H is the same loft as a 5W = 19° (both replace a 2 iron and are a bit longer than a 3 iron). A 5W may be a bit longer for the shaft but all depends on the ball trajectory and player ability.

All this hybride thing is good business for clubmakers who sell irons in your set then a hybride to replace it, then sell more wedges to recover shots since you think you can hit long clubs thanks to hybrides but it's not true, a 4 iron is the same as a 25° hybride.

If you are more comfortable with a 5 wood take a 5 wood. Some do it simple, just like tiger.

What would be the benefit of getting a 3 hybrid rather than a 5 wood?

Some players like the look of a hybrid over a 5 wood. Hybrids tend to be more versatile from a variety of lies.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I dont beleive all this. Real hybrides like adams are rare, most hybrides are just small woods and dont play better than a wood on rough or tight lies or sand. A 3H is the same loft as a 5W = 19° (both replace a 2 iron and are a bit longer than a 3 iron). A 5W may be a bit longer for the shaft but all depends on the ball trajectory and player ability. All this hybride thing is good business for clubmakers who sell irons in your set then a hybride to replace it, then sell more wedges to recover shots since you think you can hit long clubs thanks to hybrides but it's not true, a 4 iron is the same as a 25° hybride. If you are more comfortable with a 5 wood take a 5 wood. Some do it simple, just like tiger.

So you're basically saying hybrids don't work as well as they're advertised. Well sir, you are wrong. Get hooked up to track man, hit your 2 iron then hit a 2 hybrid rescue equivalent. Compare the forgiveness, ball height and distance.

Real hybrids like adams are rare, most hybrides are just small woods and dont play better than a wood on rough or tight lies or sand.

I get what you are saying (but just for this part)....I find the "appearance" of most hybrids to just look like small fairway woods also.  I don't find the performance to be so identical though, but it's pretty minor IMO.  YMMV

That said, for hybrids, I hit this one (bag holds the 4 and 2h) which I think is more what a 'hybrid' concept should be (or at least look like)...  If I want the big 'pear shape' I'll put the fairway woods back in the bag.

As for which to use.  I'd go with whatever is more comfortable on an individual basis.  I hit my 5w about 235.  I hit that 2h about 230 - so I only need one or the other, not both.  I absolutely LOVE that 5w, but........the 2h feels about as good and I find I can hit it from a lot more situations.

That was the toughest decision so far to put the 5w into the 'backup' pile.

Trading the 4i for the 4h was easy, I just hit the 4h a lot better.

Bill - 

I hit my 2H today as far as I hit a perfectly struck 2i 20 years ago when I had more club head speed.  The biggest difference is that I will strike the 2H well at least 90% of the time while the 2I had a 50% probability of good contact.  Hybrids have been a game changer and last year I replaced my 2i - 6i with 2H-6H.  Now, I am 62, and there is no doubt in my mind that hybrids are easier to make good contact with than corresponding irons.   In fact, throw in utility woods - I was carrying a 7 and 9 wood, but they have both been replaced by hybrids.

So you're basically saying hybrids don't work as well as they're advertised. Well sir, you are wrong. Get hooked up to track man, hit your 2 iron then hit a 2 hybrid rescue equivalent. Compare the forgiveness, ball height and distance.

I did'nt say the contrary. I have a 3 hybride, same distance as a 2 irons or 5 wood.

I said that between a "wood" and a "hybride" it's very much the same.

very few companies make hybrides as real rescues.

I did'nt say the contrary. I have a 3 hybride, same distance as a 2 irons or 5 wood. I said that between a "wood" and a "hybride" it's very much the same. very few companies make hybrides as real rescues.

I must be missing something with your argument then.. and it's spelt Hybrids lol. Fair enough maybe I should go back and read your post but it came off as if you don think hybrids are as good as they're made out to be.

Note: This thread is 3611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!