IGNORED

Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

ScratchInAYear
Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

But I'm a trier, have self-belief, and dedication to do it.

Unfortunately, these are qualities that are not relevant, believe it or not.

You will certainly lose the bet, and you were foolish to take it on.

If you were to get to a handicap of 10 within 2 years, that would be an outstanding effort.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Unfortunately, these are qualities that are not relevant, believe it or not. You will certainly lose the bet, and you were foolish to take it on. If you were to get to a handicap of 10 within 2 years, that would be an outstanding effort.

Agreed.. You will need some coaching to get to that as well! I suggest you start now and get a coach and tell him about your plan and draw up a timeline full of target dates for specific things and treat it like a project plan.. Good luck

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still say that isn't accurate. It may be accurate for people who actually keep a handicap, but people who keep handicaps aren't exactly the average golfer. The average golfer on the course shoots mid 90's to low 100's from what I've seen.

Yeah, I agree. There's a big difference between average golfer and average handicap. In my league, I am in the top third, but carry a 19 handicap. I am one of only a handful that actually carry an official handicap. I would say that fewer than half of golfers regularly score <100.

@ScratchInAYear , I wish you the best of luck. You are faced with a truly uphill battle. I'd just like to point out that, as a 20-25 handicap, you are not an average golfer. The average golf handicap is somewhere around 15 or 16 IIRC. You have a way to go just to be average.

No way. I think your average weekend golfer shoots mid 90s maybe even 100. If you're shooting in the 80s, you're doing way above average.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Hello all, Question for you. Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?   That's the challenge I'm facing after I took on a challenge from my brother and started officially on May 11th. I currently play off around 20-25, putting him in the distinctly average category. But I'm a trier, have self-belief, and dedication to do it. I'm currently playing at a particularly difficult course in Kent called Westerham (well I think it's difficult). Anyway, thought I'd pop along here and get your thoughts. What do you guys think, is it achievable? Cheers Folks Jimmy

I don't think you, or anyone else, can do it in one year. But I think you can become a 80% free throw shooter in a year relatively easily.:-D

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

If it was that easy ... There would be a BUNCH of scratch golfers around ... People who put forth the effort, self believe, and are incredibly dedicated to getting better ... It just does not work that way in this game we call golf ... But hey good luck to ya ... I take one look at my wife, and one look at myself in the mirror, and can tell ya stranger things have happened ...:-D

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

nope don't think so.

I ones believed that i could. And i was told to have feel for the game.

At hdc 21, i played loads off golf practiced the right things i became

a far better player and reached hdc 11 in 12 months. the year after

same loads off practice and went just under 10.

now 10 more years later i'm a high 6. But struggle to get lower.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Just to clarify, the aim of this guy is to hit a scratch round within a year, not become a scratch handicap golfer. I'm guessing somewhere in the 10 handicap region makes this a possibility.

Not saying its going to happen, but there is a sliver of hope, whereas getting to 0 handicap, no chance.

Hi, My name is Matt.

Hello all,

Question for you.

Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

That's the challenge I'm facing after I took on a challenge from my brother and started officially on May 11th.

I currently play off around 20-25, putting him in the distinctly average category. But I'm a trier, have self-belief, and dedication to do it.

I'm currently playing at a particularly difficult course in Kent called Westerham (well I think it's difficult).

Anyway, thought I'd pop along here and get your thoughts. What do you guys think, is it achievable?

Cheers Folks

Jimmy

I can relate it to being a musician ... I've been playing electric guitar for 30 years (probably equivilent to being a scratch guitarist) - there's just fine points that you pick up along the way that a beginner just can't master in such a short amount of time.      Sure, there may be a golf protoge out htere than can or has done it ... but it's got to be some kind of extraordinary talent.    I would think putting and chipping / pitching would be the limiting factor in a one year players journey to scratch ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Hello all, Question for you. Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?   That's the challenge I'm facing after I took on a challenge from my brother and started officially on May 11th. I currently play off around 20-25, putting him in the distinctly average category. But I'm a trier, have self-belief, and dedication to do it. I'm currently playing at a particularly difficult course in Kent called Westerham (well I think it's difficult). Anyway, thought I'd pop along here and get your thoughts. What do you guys think, is it achievable? Cheers Folks Jimmy

[quote name="Dinoma" url="/t/74833/is-it-possible-for-mr-average-to-become-a-scratch-golfer-in-just-12-months/18#post_998693"]Just to clarify, the aim of this guy is to hit a scratch round within a year, not become a scratch handicap golfer. I'm guessing somewhere in the 10 handicap region makes this a possibility. Not saying its going to happen, but there is a sliver of hope, whereas getting to 0 handicap, no chance. [/quote] Nope. Says "become a scratch golfer".... FWIW, no chance of an honest, even-par round either though. 10 hcps very seldom even break 80 on a course of moderate difficulty.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It does on this thread, but I looked on his twitter and facebook feeds it says a scratch round.

Hi, My name is Matt.

I can relate it to being a musician ... I've been playing electric guitar for 30 years (probably equivilent to being a scratch guitarist) - there's just fine points that you pick up along the way that a beginner just can't master in such a short amount of time.      Sure, there may be a golf protoge out htere than can or has done it ... but it's got to be some kind of extraordinary talent.    I would think putting and chipping / pitching would be the limiting factor in a one year players journey to scratch ...

Actually, the putting/chipping/pitching is something that can be improved on pretty quickly imo. Full swings are the hardest to get consistent in my experience.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

It does on this thread, but I looked on his twitter and facebook feeds it says a scratch round.

Still not gonna happen. Although I'm on a bit of a hcp up-tick right now, I tend to play off of mid-5's most of the time, and have for years. I'll end up playing a lot more golf this year than the OP is likely to (120+ rounds), and if I had to bet on my own chances of putting up an even par round, I'd call it 25% or so.....and that may be a little generous.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Is it possible? Sure it is.......and so is winning power ball when it hits 750 million bucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Actually, the putting/chipping/pitching is something that can be improved on pretty quickly imo. Full swings are the hardest to get consistent in my experience.

Thing is to be scratch, can't afford but a couple mistakes on the greens and greenside a round.     It's not a matter of being good with the short game, you have to be REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y good with very few mistakes.    This requires a great deal of feel ... and FEEL is the component that takes time to develop.   It not just putting - getting those chips/pitches to 3-5 ft from everywhere is required proficiency for a scratch golfer - practically every time.     A gifted natural player (ok, with proper instruction) can master the full swing stuff far easier IMHO ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

If you make it in one year to scratch you have so much talent to play on the Tour.

The difference between "scratch" and Tour level is so much greater than the difference between 25 and scratch that it really isn't comparable.  I think that given the right situation (cherry-picking qualifiers and main event sites to suit ones game), a scratch golfer could play in a tour event...but not sustain a card.  Those guys are really, REALLY, really good.

The difference between "scratch" and Tour level is so much greater than the difference between 25 and scratch that it really isn't comparable.  I think that given the right situation (cherry-picking qualifiers and main event sites to suit ones game), a scratch golfer could play in a tour event...but not sustain a card.  Those guys are really, REALLY, really good.

What I meant is if he can make it in 1 year to scratch he must have so much talent to even make more progress to be able to play on the tour. Scratch certainly isn't enough.

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!