• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WeltDog

Obsessed with golf again and need recommendations, please

2 posts in this topic

I have become obsessed with golf again after 14 years away from the game due to kids, family, etc.  I am over-whelmed by the new technology but I know it will help.  To put it in perspective I asked the 30 year old behind the counter for a sleeve of Titleist Tour balata balls ( because that's what I used to play and that was THE ball ) and he looked at me funny. I've hit friends' new clubs and the feeling and distance difference is amazing.   I'd truly and sincerely appreciate some club recommendations; I know club fitting would be helpful but that $150 could pay for 4 or 5 rounds!  Summary:

* I'm a pretty decent player : played 11 times since June of last year and broken 80 on 7 occasions with scores ranging from 76-83 ( I used to be a 3 hdcp in the late 80s/early 90s )
* I'm playing 1986 Ping Eye 2 black dot 3- PW ( steel shafts ) with 3 additional wedges I've pieced together from friends
*I  bought some used TM RBZ woods so I'm really in the market for irons ( I'll worry about proper metals next year; same for wedges )
* I'm looking for 5-gap/A wedge and I'll likely get a 3 or 4 hybrid
* I"m 44 yrs old,  6'1 and flexible as a ballerina and as strong as a 4th grader ( I've been told I have a long, fluid, "natural" swing so i don't muscle the ball out there )
* I tend to miss left unless I completely forget to finish

Cavity backed?  Forged?  Blades because I can play a little bit but I'm not getting younger?  Just shut up and practice more and be proud of playing ~25 yr old clubs?

thanks for your time.  really

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I have become obsessed with golf again after 14 years away from the game due to kids, family, etc.  I am over-whelmed by the new technology but I know it will help.  To put it in perspective I asked the 30 year old behind the counter for a sleeve of Titleist Tour balata balls ( because that's what I used to play and that was THE ball ) and he looked at me funny. I've hit friends' new clubs and the feeling and distance difference is amazing.   I'd truly and sincerely appreciate some club recommendations; I know club fitting would be helpful but that $150 could pay for 4 or 5 rounds!  Summary:

* I'm a pretty decent player : played 11 times since June of last year and broken 80 on 7 occasions with scores ranging from 76-83 ( I used to be a 3 hdcp in the late 80s/early 90s )

* I'm playing 1986 Ping Eye 2 black dot 3- PW ( steel shafts ) with 3 additional wedges I've pieced together from friends

*I  bought some used TM RBZ woods so I'm really in the market for irons ( I'll worry about proper metals next year; same for wedges )

* I'm looking for 5-gap/A wedge and I'll likely get a 3 or 4 hybrid

* I"m 44 yrs old,  6'1 and flexible as a ballerina and as strong as a 4th grader ( I've been told I have a long, fluid, "natural" swing so i don't muscle the ball out there )

* I tend to miss left unless I completely forget to finish

Cavity backed?  Forged?  Blades because I can play a little bit but I'm not getting younger?  Just shut up and practice more and be proud of playing ~25 yr old clubs?

thanks for your time.  really

Welcome back, and boy, you're a great golfer. To really answer your question and reccommend certain things, I need to know what you PREFER from your irons. Do you dislike the chunky head of the Game Improvement (GI) irons? Do you prefer the light weight head of a blade? Do you mind paying a little extra for forged irons? Do you like certain brands over others? Ex. I like Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Adams, Mizuno and dislike Taylormade, Cobra, Nike, Wilson, Cleveland. Do you like a soft feel, or do you prefer a firm hit? Do you want to feel if you hit a little thin or toward the toe or do you want more forgiveness?

From what you have provided, I recommend the Mizuno JPX-825 irons. You talk about amazing feel. They feel forged, and have a little GI technology in them, but remain a "players" club to an extent. I really wanted these clubs, but I couldn't afford them, so I got what I liked next best. http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/1024711-mizuno-jpx-825-iron-set/

I would get new irons if I were you because the game and technology of clubs have made leaps and bounds in 25 years. Then again, if you hit the Ping Eye 2 really well and you don't want to change, then don't.

Honestly, this game comes down to preference in most areas. All of these companies make excellent equipment. Go to a golf shop and hit on different brands and models to decide what you do and do not care for. Let us know what you hit and what you like and why. I would like to hear others opinions on different equipment and why.