IGNORED

Self driving car project

flopster
Note: This thread is 2697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just stumbled across this and think this is simply amazing, this is certainly something that will make the world better IMO.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Interesting, but if he thinks it's going to do away with parking, private vehicle ownership, and traffic related deaths, he's a complete whack job. Hell, I don't know that everyone would even want one. I don't know that I would. But then, he's an engineer and a geek, so he's completely out of touch with reality anyway. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting, but if he thinks it's going to do away with parking, private vehicle ownership, and traffic related deaths, he's a complete whack job. Hell, I don't know that everyone would even want one. I don't know that I would.

But then, he's an engineer and a geek, so he's completely out of touch with reality anyway.

Definitely not in our lifetimes, but I could see this becoming a large portion of the vehicles we see on the road in the next 20-30 years and eventually taking over in 50 or so years, I for one hate commuting in the morning a drive that will only take 20 minutes with no traffic takes at least 35- 50 minutes on average and has even been an hour in worst cases, with these cars traffic will be greatly reduced IMO because the operation of the car is being done by a program that gives 100% attention at all times. Like anything else that comes along there will be resistance and skeptism and that is probably warranted to some degree but I think we are definitely seeing the future of one part of transportation.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I need a new career.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Hope it doesn't use Google maps

People complain about iOS maps, Google maps is great, but it still asks me to make turns across highways with a divider, left turn where there is none, asks me to go off the highway when I should stay because it's near an exit ramp, etc... Don't get me wrong, I'm very dependent on it, but it's still got kinks.

Interesting, but if he thinks it's going to do away with parking, private vehicle ownership, and traffic related deaths, he's a complete whack job. Hell, I don't know that everyone would even want one. I don't know that I would.

But then, he's an engineer and a geek, so he's completely out of touch with reality anyway.

Screw self driving cars. Teleportation baby. Poof!!!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Unless lanes are designated for these vehicles I don't see how they will reduce commute times.  I'd also guess one of the programming rules is to adhere to the posted speed limits which means no one under 90 will be interested here in  NY.

Joe Paradiso

I like driving. I don't want a freaking robot doing it for me. ::grumpy old man rant::

Rant aside, I think this is going to be a big problem with selling these cars.  People don't want to give up control in general.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Rant aside, I think this is going to be a big problem with selling these cars.  People don't want to give up control in general.

I can see some useful applications such as when people have driven long distances and are either too sick or too tired to drive home so they allow the car to drive for them (depending on how the laws work it will be interesting to see if this is a legal alternative to DUI / DWI)

Problem is eventually the roads will evolve so that driving will be more like riding on a commuter train, except instead of sitting on a train we're sitting in our MTA controlled private vehicles and paying for gas.

Joe Paradiso

I can see some useful applications such where people have driven long distances and are either too sick or too tired to drive home so they allow the car to drive for them (depending on how the laws work it will be interesting to see if this is a legal alternative to DUI / DWI)

Problem is eventually the roads will evolve so that driving will be more like riding on a commuter train, except instead of sitting on a train we're sitting in our MTA controlled private vehicles and paying for gas.

I agree, those are great points, I just think it will be a while yet before this is the accepted norm.

Nate

I agree, those are great points, I just think it will be a while yet before this is the accepted norm.

I agree, a fair number of people will push back that these automated cars restrict their right to drive how they want and it will be a huge political mess.   If they start out with dedicated lanes like they did with HOV / carpool I think it will gradually catch on.  As I said I can see the benefits but I also see plenty of room for abuse depending on who controls the cars.

Joe Paradiso

It would be a cool feature on a long trip like when I drive to South Alabama once or twice a year. It would be cool to engage something that would drive me through the LONG state of AL and I could nap or whatever. It would take me a while to trust it though.

- Shane

Unless lanes are designated for these vehicles I don't see how they will reduce commute times.  I'd also guess one of the programming rules is to adhere to the posted speed limits which means no one under 90 will be interested here in  NY.

Yeah, it's basically quantity of cars vs. lane space that determines traffic speeds, so not sure how that would affect commute times at all.  I could see how it would only if 100% (or close) of cars were these types of cars because then they could have slightly different traffic rules of thumb.  The 2 second rule, for example wouldn't be necessary, and when lights turn green ALL of the cars could start moving at once.

I can see some useful applications such as when people have driven long distances and are either too sick or too tired to drive home so they allow the car to drive for them (depending on how the laws work it will be interesting to see if this is a legal alternative to DUI / DWI)

It would be a cool feature on a long trip like when I drive to South Alabama once or twice a year. It would be cool to engage something that would drive me through the LONG state of AL and I could nap or whatever. It would take me a while to trust it though.

Yes, these are applications where I could see it helping - another type of hybrid.  Basically, a car that runs like an airplane where you control in manually when you need to, and put it on "auto-pilot" when you can.

I like driving. I don't want a freaking robot doing it for me. ::grumpy old man rant::

Exactly.  Not just "control" either.....the daily commute notwithstanding, a lot of people simply enjoy driving.  If all we wanted was to get from point A to point B, there'd be a LOT fewer sports cars sold than actually are.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It would be incredible, for tons of reasons. You could just relax with some coffee and the newspaper of the commute, and just think about how many lives it would save,

It would be incredible, for tons of reasons. You could just relax with some coffee and the newspaper of the commute, and just think about how many lives it would save,

Assuming it doesn't malfunction...

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!