IGNORED

Looking at the next 10 years

skydog
Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's starting to look more and more like Rory, Spieth, and Adam Scott are going to be the guys who separate from the pack and are the face of the game for the next 10 years. We've had more than a few false starts and surprise underachievers in the search to find the guys to replace Tiger and Phil, but these guys seem to be pulling away from the parity pack in golf.

When Rory reminds us like yesterday how good he can be, it's a bit scary, and anyone who thinks he can't win 10+ majors has their head buried in the sand in my opinion.

It's starting to look more and more like Rory, Spieth, and Adam Scott are going to be the guys who separate from the pack and are the face of the game for the next 10 years. We've had more than a few false starts and surprise underachievers in the search to find the guys to replace Tiger and Phil, but these guys seem to be pulling away from the parity pack in golf.

When Rory reminds us like yesterday how good he can be, it's a bit scary, and anyone who thinks he can't win 10+ majors has their head buried in the sand in my opinion.

Once Rory learns to separate his golf game from his personnel game he will be what you say.

It's starting to look more and more like Rory, Spieth, and Adam Scott are going to be the guys who separate from the pack and are the face of the game for the next 10 years. We've had more than a few false starts and surprise underachievers in the search to find the guys to replace Tiger and Phil, but these guys seem to be pulling away from the parity pack in golf. When Rory reminds us like yesterday how good he can be, it's a bit scary, and anyone who thinks he can't win 10+ majors has their head buried in the sand in my opinion.

10+ majors seriously? Do you know how many people in history have 10+?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scott's future lies with how he will fare with the short putter.     I think it will be very interesting to see if he can overcome the mental challenge of the switch ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I could not disagree more.

FIrst of all, Spieth only has one victory so far. He's not running away from anyone. Let's hold the phone on him dominating until he actually wins some tournaments. Remember Rickie Fowler and the so-called "rivalry" that him and Rory were going to have? Whatever happened to that?

Secondly, I must have my head buried in the sand because if you're going to win 10+ majors, you need to show me some consistency. Rory has been anything but consistent the last two years. He has just ONE win since 2012. He hasn't even contended in a major since he's won the PGA. I'm rooting for him and all because I like Rory, but it's going to be even harder to win majors as he goes forward with the competition stiffening.

Third, there's a new crop of talent coming up that's going to have people turning heads just like Spieth is here in the next couple years. There's a guy named Scottie Scheffler from Texas who some are saying is better than Spieth was at Texas. Matthew Fitzpatrick will be on the stage in a couple years and he has a ton of promise. I think Hideki Matsuyama is close to breaking out. Let's hold the phone here with this rivalry.

• Upvote 1

I could not disagree more. FIrst of all, Spieth only has one victory so far. He's not running away from anyone. Let's hold the phone on him dominating until he actually wins some tournaments. Remember Rickie Fowler and the so-called "rivalry" that him and Rory were going to have? Whatever happened to that? Secondly, I must have my head buried in the sand because if you're going to win 10+ majors, you need to show me some consistency. Rory has been anything but consistent the last two years. He has just ONE win since 2012. He hasn't even contended in a major since he's won the PGA. I'm rooting for him and all because I like Rory, but it's going to be even harder to win majors as he goes forward with the competition stiffening. Third, there's a new crop of talent coming up that's going to have people turning heads just like Spieth is here in the next couple years. There's a guy named Scottie Scheffler from Texas who some are saying is better than Spieth was at Texas. Matthew Fitzpatrick will be on the stage in a couple years and he has a ton of promise. I think Hideki Matsuyama is close to breaking out. Let's hold the phone here with this rivalry.

I tend to agree with this entire post. 5 or 6 years ago some were saying pretty much the same of Anthony Kim that they are of Jordon Spieth right now....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

McIlroy is a streaky player. When he's hot, he's hot. When he's not, he's terrible. The first two rounds at the Memorial pretty much sum him up. He's going to have some spectacular victories, but in my opinion he doesn't look like developing the sort of consistency that would allow him to grind out 10 majors. One of the more attractive things about the game at the moment is how many very, very good young players there are. It's impossible to predict how things will look in ten years time because most of us have probably never heard of the kid who is going to be the best in the world.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

I can see McIlroy getting up towards the high single digits by 2030. Less likely for Spieth, if only because Rory's already got a 2-major lead. And I doubt Adam will win more than 2 or 3.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Based on what's happening now, I'm seeing a lot more parity in the future. How does BW look healthwise? He'd be my next 3 years pick. But I bet there are lots of no-names and those we kind of already know what will come to the fore.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I hate parity in golf. I know some like it.....I hate it. I think it's bad for the game. But unfortunately, I think it's what we're headed towards. I truly hope Spieth and McIlroy do separate themselves, along with guys like Scott and some of the young stars. But I don't think it's going to happen. I think we're entering into an age where you're going to see new names popping up every week that come out of nowhere.

I can see McIlroy getting up towards the high single digits by 2030. Less likely for Spieth, if only because Rory's already got a 2-major lead. And I doubt Adam will win more than 2 or 3.

Im not disagreeing with you but Im just curious why do you think Rory will win 6+ more and Adam won't win 1 or 2 more?

Im not disagreeing with you but Im just curious why do you think Rory will win 6+ more and Adam won't win 1 or 2 more?

Age is a big part of it. It took Adam a long time to break through, while Rory has 2 major wins at 25. Scott is also going to have to switch putters at some point. That'll take a lot of practice time away from other facets of his game. And I just think Rory is better, frankly.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've had a similar discussion in some previous threads, but I contend that outside of Jack, Gary Player and to an extent Tiger, players have a 10 year window of winning majors, then they are done.  Tiger is flirting with validating this, he won 14 majors in 11 years, court is still open for him.  Lee Trevino and Ernie Els can almost be thrown in with Jack and Gary, but Ernie's 2012 win was more of a falling into, not like he finished the Open on a flurry like Phil did, more like Scott let it slip away.

Based on that, the major clock is ticking for Rory, he's just too inconsistent to pile up majors, he more like Phil than Tiger, he might get 5 or 6 majors and 40+ wins, but not 14 majors and 80+ wins, IMHO.  I have to think the next great player/players aren't on tour yet, as we've seen throughout history, it might be 10-15 years from Tiger and Phil's retirement before we see the next player that will surpass 10+ majors and/or challenge Jack's record.  And when you consider that only 3 people have 10+ majors, the next great player might still be waiting to be born.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I've had a similar discussion in some previous threads, but I contend that outside of Jack, Gary Player and to an extent Tiger, players have a 10 year window of winning majors, then they are done.  Tiger is flirting with validating this, he won 14 majors in 11 years, court is still open for him.  Lee Trevino and Ernie Els can almost be thrown in with Jack and Gary, but Ernie's 2012 win was more of a falling into, not like he finished the Open on a flurry like Phil did, more like Scott let it slip away. Based on that, the major clock is ticking for Rory, he's just too inconsistent to pile up majors, he more like Phil than Tiger, he might get 5 or 6 majors and 40+ wins, but not 14 majors and 80+ wins, IMHO.  I have to think the next great player/players aren't on tour yet, as we've seen throughout history, it might be 10-15 years from Tiger and Phil's retirement before we see the next player that will surpass 10+ majors and/or challenge Jack's record.  And when you consider that only 3 people have 10+ majors, the next great player might still be waiting to be born.

I agree with the post above, I too believe that the next guy, who will dominate hasn't arrived yet. It might be another 10-15 years I think it could be someone who is 6'3" to 6'7" perhaps a bruiser at 225+ pounds, a consistent 320 years driver, with a John Daly like short game and a Stricker or Zach Johnson ability putting. The same thing happened in tennis most of the guys that were dominating were 5 8"- 5' 10" then a guy like Pete Sampras comes along, tall, agile, fast and dominating and changes the game and makeup. It's happened in other team sports too.

I agree with the post above, I too believe that the next guy, who will dominate hasn't arrived yet. It might be another 10-15 years I think it could be someone who is 6'3" to 6'7" perhaps a bruiser at 225+ pounds, a consistent 320 years driver, with a John Daly like short game and a Stricker or Zach Johnson ability putting.

The same thing happened in tennis most of the guys that were dominating were 5 8"- 5' 10" then a guy like Pete Sampras comes along, tall, agile, fast and dominating and changes the game and makeup. It's happened in other team sports too.

One thing that makes the 6'6'' 225 lb. world class athlete golfer hard to find is that most are spending their time on a basketball court or a football field and don't have enough time for golf.

Not that I can blame them. That guy can sign a contract and be more likely to get an immediate spot at the top level in those sports, where in baseball or golf it's more the norm to have to grind it out in the minor leagues for at least a while.

I agree with you that guy will show up and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he comes from another country where the pull of other sports may not be quite as strong.

I've had a similar discussion in some previous threads, but I contend that outside of Jack, Gary Player and to an extent Tiger, players have a 10 year window of winning majors, then they are done.  Tiger is flirting with validating this, he won 14 majors in 11 years, court is still open for him.  Lee Trevino and Ernie Els can almost be thrown in with Jack and Gary, but Ernie's 2012 win was more of a falling into, not like he finished the Open on a flurry like Phil did, more like Scott let it slip away.

Based on that, the major clock is ticking for Rory, he's just too inconsistent to pile up majors, he more like Phil than Tiger, he might get 5 or 6 majors and 40+ wins, but not 14 majors and 80+ wins, IMHO.  I have to think the next great player/players aren't on tour yet, as we've seen throughout history, it might be 10-15 years from Tiger and Phil's retirement before we see the next player that will surpass 10+ majors and/or challenge Jack's record.  And when you consider that only 3 people have 10+ majors, the next great player might still be waiting to be born.

Totally agree. As much as I hate to say it because I like Rory, I do feel like he will finish with 5-6 like Phil. Still a great career, but I think when Rory is all said and done, we will be slightly disappointed that is didnt achieve TW status. Still so early and with all the technology and trainers and psychologists, etc, these guys can play for a looonnnnngggg time.

Jury's still out on Spieth. Lets all just pump the brakes. Guy has 1 win. He is a joy to watch and hopefully he continues to grow, but lets seriously just simmer down until he get another few wins.

Adam Scott to me is purely an incredible athlete. He is like TW, but doesnt have the elite, 1 percenter edge/mindset. He doesn't have the moxie. To me the reason he one that major and has as many wins as he does is purely the swing. He is an athlete, not a golfer. All the hardwork he put in, he is too good an athlete not to close at least 1 major. But he is sure as hell not a good enough golfer to get 5+ majors.

I'll be honest, and i've posted this before, I really don't think we're gonna have an elite talent in the next 10 years. There is simply too much parity. Golf is too popular at a young age right now among the well to do and in college. They have so many opportunities to succeed. 14 year olds can hit it 280+ and shoot low 70s. There are just too many good kids these days. Just look at the numbers from the college playoffs; they are all incredible. I really dont think we know the next elite player yet. I don't think he is on tour as of yet and if he already is, then it might already be too late to rise to 10+ majors. They need to do it at a young age; regardless of them playing longer. They gotta get out ahead of the rest and get some early majors.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I would almost include Phil with Jack, Player and Tiger. Even though he's got all his majors in 10 years, he had a lot of runners-up and chances to win from 1995-2003 that with one bounce here or there (i.e 2001 PGA and '99 USO) he'd have racked some up. Plus, I do think Phil has another major or two in him the next few years. Still too much talent left in him.

But Phil is one of the very few players who has been a strong contender consistently in majors from his 20s to his 40s. Not a lot of guys can say that at all.

I think more of what scores will be shot in 10 years time, not so much who will be shooting them. I think that unless courses are made virtually unplayable for the average golfer then scores of 7 or 8 under on all 4 days will be required to win. What will club and ball technology be able to provide in 10 years time? Will clubs get more accurate, will balls fly farther, will balls spin more etc.

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!