IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was practising clubhead path change, into more of an in-to-out clubpath. This was something that my instructor told I should try to fix. Originally, when I started golf I had an in-to-out path, I think. But I must have adjusted it in order to avoid massive hooks.

I'll be playing on my membership course with my dad on saturday so hopefully I can replicate this draw-biased swing at the course somehow.

Mostly I was getting today...

-straight-hooks, ( not duck hooks, but high, straight, hooks )

-straight-draws,

- mild push draws

-maybe one straight-fade

-occasional shank

it was sort of difficult to judge the spin, really. Reason being, that there was quite rippling sidewind, as I was able to observe with the range flags. Wind was going from right to left. (wind was pushing the balls even more left than normal)

I was hitting off a range mat, with mostly and 8-iron, and I simply put a range bucket to the right of the ball, and slightly more towards my body. The idea being, that I would try to take the club to the inside, at the takeaway, and also the same at the downswing. Idea being, to avoid hitting the bucket of course! :-P

It was mildly positive feeling to have some control over the ball.

After a week of shooting 105-107 on five consecutive days ( and always shooting a 51 on the front nine of my home course) today I went a few miles out of town and shot a 99 at a slightly easier golf club.  I shot a 50 on the front, no real trouble just a lot of doubles, and pulled out a 49 on the back, with two blowup snowmen to boot.

I shot another 99 today at a local course. 48 in, 51 out. Missed three birdie opportunities, including a two foot gimme on hole #2. Putting absolutely killed me today. Far too many three putts for this kid. Hit 88% of the fairways on the front and a third of the GIRs. Missed a few fairways on the back, but by inches. I didn't play my usual drastic slice today. I swung a lot easier with the boom stick and surprisingly managed to keep the ball in play. And I only lost one ball. Far from great, but I'll take this round over a kick in the nuts anyday.

Two in a row, nice!  I am getting jealous. :-P

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, rough outing last night.... 6 penalty shots and a final score of 58....  Brutal

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Last round 46 with 14 putts.  Had two kick in chips.  No penalties, no lost balls.

Hit zero greens.  Need to work on this.

Working on extending swing back and through.

Believe I can break 100 on a regular basis but aiming for bogey-max to consider myself recovered from five years of illness.

I broke 100 for the first time last year.  It was kind of a long journey . .took me 4 years.  The first 2 I made little progress.  I was teaching myself . .and not getting anywhere.  Then I started taking sporadic lessons as I could afford them . .and started making progress finally.

Even though everybody says distance is not important - it was actually distance that allowed me to break 100.  Other things, too - but primarily distance.  Once I started hitting my driver more than 200 yards it was a LOT easier to make pars and bogeys .. and even the occasional birdie.

Obviously getting rid of my huge slice was instrumental in my being able to hit drives more than 200 yards . . to get rid of my slice I had to change everything about the way I swing and the way I think about swinging a golf club.  I just had horrible, deeply ingrained misconceptions about what I was supposed to be doing, lol.

I'm terrible, this year I have invested in lessons and have been working on range. Haven't seen any improvements in score yet, have yet to break100. I've only played 4 rounds this summer though. Going this morning on my own for first time, and hoping to relax and put together a score. I am busy and don't really have the time to put in tons of work on my game, but if I could get to where half my shots weren't dubs and shanks into the woods, that would be great!

golf is a life long struggle, bro.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Played a new course today. Cedarbrook red course. I shot a 47-54 for a 101. Couple snowmen prevented me from posting my first <100 score. I did only lose one ball and had a run of 4 straight pars. It was a fun day!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I shot a personal best nine hole 46 on the front nine of my home course this morning. Then I utterly and completely shit the bed on the back, rounding out with a horrendous 59 for a 105 total. I believe I had three quads. I wish I'd never counted the scorecard between nine and ten:(

Corey

I shot a personal best nine hole 46 on the front nine of my home course this morning. Then I utterly and completely shit the bed on the back, rounding out with a horrendous 59 for a 105 total. I believe I had three quads. I wish I'd never counted the scorecard between nine and ten:(

I never count score until I am all done. On Saturday i shot a 47 on the front and the guy I was playing with told me where i stood. Shot a 54 on the back.

Played a new course today. Cedarbrook red course. I shot a 47-54 for a 101. Couple snowmen prevented me from posting my first <100 score. I did only lose one ball and had a run of 4 straight pars. It was a fun day!

Wow that is great ... Your almost there!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Yesterday, shot the game of my life...88...with an 8 on hole 16! That was the only ball I lost all day. I've never broke 90. Yesterday's game seemed so easy. Get to the ball, figure the distance, pick a club and swing. I wish I could bottle what I used yesterday. My handicap is around 24, so this was a huge accomplishment. Hopefully, I can use this as a confidence builder. We'll see what Monday League night brings. WindLaker

Hey guys, completely new to tst but I've been lurking for a while, reading about tips just trying to get better. Some really good stuff here which helped me finally break 100 with a 99 at what is basically my home course. I actually opened with a 10 on the par 5 1st (really 10th but went off the back), basically just said **** it! No way today is the day. Played free the rest of the round not really paying attention to my score just tracking fiairways, greens and putts, till we get to the last hole. My friend starts adding up the scores while I walk to the tee (160 par 3), and just smiles and says "do me a favor and bogey this hole". Had a pretty good idea what he's talking about so of course I take about an 8 in divot off the tee and hit the ball 40 yards. Miss the green on my next shot which sucks, but then I just told myself you only need a bogey anyways. Pitch and a putt. Left myself an uphill 6footer and drained it! Absolutely amazing feeling, I've been hovering around the 102-105 mark for over a year and just couldn't seem to break it. Best part too is that I actually had a 7 hole stretch In the middle of the round that I played at +4 with 4 gir, just gotta find a way get rid of the 10s and 8s I seem to have on every 9. One of best tips I got recently was to pick a ball and play it. I'm kinda cheap, never really bought balls. My old philosophy was actually to always leave the course with more balls than I brought, so I was that guy fishing around in hazards for a stray pro v1. Because of this I was always hitting a different ball, made it really hard to get my distances down and get a good feel putts. I'm sure I was in the minority but if you don't play a specific ball already I highly recommend it! Honestly I'd say that once you get used to it it'll give you at least a stroke or two.
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys, completely new to tst but I've been lurking for a while, reading about tips just trying to get better.

Welcome to the forums. Well, I nearly achieved one of my goals for the season by breaking 100 at my home course this morning. I was two strokes under fifty on the front, but went double bogey and quadruple on the final two holes to shoot a 53 on the back. Putting and second shots were good today. Driving and short chipping weren't. Baby steps, deep breaths.

Corey

Played my first round in over 2 months yesterday. was supposed to play a few weeks ago but weather had something to say about that. I shot a 99! I took the advice from someone on here (who's name i cant find now) sorry, but thank you, you know who you are. He told me just relax and not even worry about the score. well I did keep score but i didn't care what number I posted. I even bent my leading elbow on my backswing to the point where i saw my clubhead out of the corner of my leading eye. but it worked. my swing (most of the time) was relaxed. My shots and swing felt good. Obviously I made mistakes and lost balls and shanked shots but just keeping that relaxed attitude really helped.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Played my first round in over 2 months yesterday. was supposed to play a few weeks ago but weather had something to say about that. I shot a 99! I took the advice from someone on here (who's name i cant find now) sorry, but thank you, you know who you are. He told me just relax and not even worry about the score. well I did keep score but i didn't care what number I posted. I even bent my leading elbow on my backswing to the point where i saw my clubhead out of the corner of my leading eye. but it worked. my swing (most of the time) was relaxed. My shots and swing felt good. Obviously I made mistakes and lost balls and shanked shots but just keeping that relaxed attitude really helped.

Great job!

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

There is another thread out there that goes kind of hand in hand with this one...there are some good tips in there. http://thesandtrap.com/t/71851/how-to-break-100

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Getting awful quiet in here... I think I am talking to myself. :-P

Anyhow I put in 18 tonight after work..it was a roller coaster ride.  I tried to play "smarter" but it didn't do me a lot of good when I muff the "safe" shot.  I had 3 pars and a birdie but those were offset by multiple blow up holes. I shot a 105, 51-54.   I feel a little guilty on one of my pars, they had white tees moved up to the next tee box on a par 3 which turned a 185 yard hole into a 115 yard hole. I feel less guilty on my birdie, they had the tees moved up on that one too but that only gained me 10 yards. ;-)

Sometimes I wish my home course was a little easier. On a lot of my problem holes the layup shot can be about as dangerous as pulling out the driver.  Ok enough whining.  There is always next time.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Getting awful quiet in here... I think I am talking to myself.  :-P Anyhow I put in 18 tonight after work..it was a roller coaster ride.  I tried to play "smarter" but it didn't do me a lot of good when I muff the "safe" shot.  I had 3 pars and a birdie but those were offset by multiple blow up holes. I shot a 105, 51-54.   I feel a little guilty on one of my pars, they had white tees moved up to the next tee box on a par 3 which turned a 185 yard hole into a 115 yard hole. I feel less guilty on my birdie, they had the tees moved up on that one too but that only gained me 10 yards. ;-) Sometimes I wish my home course was a little easier. On a lot of my problem holes the layup shot can be about as dangerous as pulling out the driver.  Ok enough whining.  There is always next time.

Whine! It's how you know you care. I remember a basketball video where some team lost and the coach tells the players to remember the pain in their stomachs during practice next year. May have been a Gatorade commercial, haha. But the point stands. Have the fire to make sure you improve your mistakes and faults. And I did post in that other thread at the very end some of my own personal experiences and advice that I would greatly hope might be of even a little help to you as well. Cheers.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!