IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ha.. Now I see it in my reply.... Again I admit I am lousy with computers

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see what i did wrong ... it was my fault ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Glad to see a hackers thread!! I had, and still sometimes have, a tempo/mental problem that I have been fighting the last year or so. I would try to force the club into the ball on every shot, even though I knew that technique would not work....doesn't matter, I did it anyway. I just had to force the shots so I could get the perceived extra distance needed to get on the greens in regulation. Then one day during a practice round, I decided the way to break my habit of forcing the shot was to lay up short on most all shots. Then make a 70 yard or shorter shot onto the green with a putt stroke type chip. My thinking was if I take it easy, I would get less penalty strokes and at the same time, if I learned to two putt, I would be able to get a bogey on most holes. Someone earlier said it best; nine bogeys and 9 doubles = a 99. It became obvious to me if I played this kind of game, I would have to get good at the 80 yard and in shots..So practice it was,.... everything from a wedge to a 7 iron using a putt stroke chip shot (for me , it was easier to control this kind of shot than a partial swing type shot). The idea was to be able to make these shots onto the green without any stress, then 2 putt for a possible bogey. I tried this technique for most of last season (2013) and out of 38 rounds recorded, 12 were under 100 (about 33%). My usual score prior to this was around 115, with 0 scores under 100 in 2012 and years before. This year (2014) I am at 10 out of 20 rounds under 100. I think I can do even better this year; if I get my tempo issues ironed out (pun intended) So for me, what I did works!! I call it playing within my means. It's not pretty, and certainly not macho, but it seems to get the job done. Hope if you try this idea it will work for you as well.

• Administrator
In my new swing, as Lee Trevino says, I open the door and then close door ... Rolling my hands over was a VERY foreign concept to me ... Well my instructor has asked me to pretend I am trying to draw the ball ... Meaning go ahead and try to actually to come through the impact zone with a close club face ... Because god knows I had coming open down to an art

Where does your golf ball start in relation to the target?

Before you got this advice, I mean. Where did it start? Right? Left? At the target? Then it curved well to the right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am joining this quest. Started working on better practice this last week. Playing a round tomorrow and will hopefully post my score free of and foot wedged and mullies!! Lol... working on counting everything as per rules to see where I need to improve most.

Glad to see a hackers thread!!

I had, and still sometimes have, a tempo/mental problem that I have been fighting the last year or so.

I would try to force the club into the ball on every shot, even though I knew that technique would not work....doesn't matter, I did it anyway.

I just had to force the shots so I could get the perceived extra distance needed to get on the greens in regulation.

Then one day during a practice round, I decided the way to break my habit of forcing the shot was to lay up short on most all shots. Then make a 70 yard or shorter shot onto the green with a putt stroke type chip. My thinking was if I take it easy, I would get less penalty strokes and at the same time, if I learned to two putt, I would be able to get a bogey on most holes. Someone earlier said it best; nine bogeys and 9 doubles = a 99.

It became obvious to me if I played this kind of game, I would have to get good at the 80 yard and in shots..So practice it was,.... everything from a wedge to a 7 iron using a putt stroke chip shot (for me , it was easier to control this kind of shot than a partial swing type shot). The idea was to be able to make these shots onto the green without any stress, then 2 putt for a possible bogey.

I tried this technique for most of last season (2013) and out of 38 rounds recorded, 12 were under 100 (about 33%).

My usual score prior to this was around 115, with 0 scores under 100 in 2012 and years before.

This year (2014) I am at 10 out of 20 rounds under 100. I think I can do even better this year; if I get my tempo issues ironed out (pun intended)

So for me, what I did works!! I call it playing within my means. It's not pretty, and certainly not macho, but it seems to get the job done.

Hope if you try this idea it will work for you as well.

Fighting off golf demons never ends. These demons will always be there.

Once you've mastered the bogy game, you'll naturally will want to get pars. Then the demons will start to creep into you game even more.

The better you get at this game, more demons there are.

The best you can do is to manage the demons, not completely defeat them.

I think that's what professional golfers call GRINDING. :-)

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Where does your golf ball start in relation to the target?

Before you got this advice, I mean. Where did it start? Right? Left? At the target? Then it curved well to the right?

I was at the target ... for just a bit, then the slice would come  ... I was hanging on trying to help the ball up and staying with the weight in the back of my stance, using my arms and shoulders for the power...

he has been working with me to get my hands to turn over and bring my right side around more ...

His advice all in all is very similar to your videos ... thanks for those my the way.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I am joining this quest. Started working on better practice this last week. Playing a round tomorrow and will hopefully post my score free of and foot wedged and mullies!! Lol... working on counting everything as per rules to see where I need to improve most.

Welcome, please keep us updated on how it goes ...

Hackers unite!

My hcp American style is about 30, I guess...

I'm gonna go buy a new driver tomorrow btw. My dad's old big bertha isn't cutting it anymore.

I'm gonna try out Mizuno jpx EZ , Cobra biocell plus , Cobra biocell standard , and Taylormade RBZ 2 . :dance:

Gotta try to break 100 on sunday for the first time!

Or break 50 on front9 to be honest, really...

Hackers unite!

I'm gonna go buy a new driver tomorrow btw. My dad's old big bertha isn't cutting it anymore.

I'm gonna try out Mizuno jpx EZ, Cobra biocell plus, Cobra biocell standard, and Taylormade RBZ 2.

Keep us updated on what you get Late347.... I just got the RBZ fixed driver and really like it.

Good luck on Sunday!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Good luck and keep us updated.  I think playing by the rules is huge to improving your golf game.  The only rule(that I am aware of) that I currently dont always follow is provisional balls.  If I can not find my ball after looking quickly I will drop as close as I can honestly guess the ball went and take a penalty stroke.  I know should walk back to the tee box but I just dont currently.  If I hit it into the woods then I re-tee it up with the penalty.  I know that is not correct but not sure if a better way to do this yet.  In the last two rounds I have played this has only happened once so at least it is happening less frequently.

Hackers unite! My hcp American style is about 30, I guess... I'm gonna go buy a new driver tomorrow btw. My dad's old big bertha isn't cutting it anymore. I'm gonna try out Mizuno jpx EZ , Cobra biocell plus , Cobra biocell standard , and Taylormade RBZ 2 .:dance: Gotta try to break 100 on sunday for the first time! Or break 50 on front9 to be honest, really...

I have the rbz tour series one with the interchangeable lofts and I love it so far. Thinking about getting a stiffer shaft but havent come to a conclusion yet. Works good for me but pushing right. Think its probably my swing though...

I have the rbz tour series one with the interchangeable lofts and I love it so far. Thinking about getting a stiffer shaft but havent come to a conclusion yet. Works good for me but pushing right. Think its probably my swing though...

Push shot without spin is better than full SLICE in my opinion!

Push shot without spin is better than full SLICE in my opinion!

Yes.

A slice is the most dreaded of all mis-shots.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Hackers unite!

I'm gonna try out Mizuno jpx EZ, Cobra biocell plus, Cobra biocell standard, and Taylormade RBZ 2.

I was in my clubs pro shop and they had a few traded in drivers for sale...so I took all of them to the driving range and had a play and in the end I settled on a titliest 910 with an Aldila stiff shaft (cost £80).

At that time I was battling a massive power slice where I was easily getting 300 yards in total distance BUT the only problem was only 100 of that was forwards!

For what ever reason the stiff shaft made an almost instant difference. Suddenly I was no longer getting massive slices off the tee and more and more of my drives are now going straight...ish! :)

Oh...and lesssons. Especially on course tuition with the course pro, this single lesson helped me immensely. Basically he plays 9 holes with you talking through issues and faults as you go which I found particularly helpful.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

SUCCESS! I went out today and shot and honest to goodness, no mulligans, count every stroke 95 for the first time. What's crazy to me is that had I been a little more on my game, two holes could have made the difference between 88 or 89 versus the 95 I shot. I'm really thrilled but I need to go out and do it again and reaffirm. I also posted this in my thread about trying to go from super hacker to decent, here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940.

• Upvote 1

SUCCESS! I went out today and shot and honest to goodness, no mulligans, count every stroke 95 for the first time. What's crazy to me is that had I been a little more on my game, two holes could have made the difference between 88 or 89 versus the 95 I shot. I'm really thrilled but I need to go out and do it again and reaffirm. I also posted this in my thread about trying to go from super hacker to decent, here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940]http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940[/URL].

Good stuff man. I still remember the first time i broke 100, then 90. That round will stay with you.

SUCCESS! I went out today and shot and honest to goodness, no mulligans, count every stroke 95 for the first time. What's crazy to me is that had I been a little more on my game, two holes could have made the difference between 88 or 89 versus the 95 I shot. I'm really thrilled but I need to go out and do it again and reaffirm. I also posted this in my thread about trying to go from super hacker to decent, here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940]http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940[/URL].

Congrats ... I going to do it tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!