IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

SUCCESS! I went out today and shot and honest to goodness, no mulligans, count every stroke 95 for the first time. What's crazy to me is that had I been a little more on my game, two holes could have made the difference between 88 or 89 versus the 95 I shot. I'm really thrilled but I need to go out and do it again and reaffirm. I also posted this in my thread about trying to go from super hacker to decent, here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940]http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940[/URL].

Congrats! You have separated yourself from the weekend hacker!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@BallMarker  Must disagree about the slice being the most dreaded of golf shots.  Wait till you experience 3 shanks in a row.

Ok.

But I wouldn't know that because I've NEVER shanked a golf shot. :whistle:

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

so what causes shank? Shank is  hosel impact?

standing too close to the ball?

hosel is the connection of shaft and clubhead correct? Toe is the... toe of the clubhead I suppose. The outward protruding part of the clubhead is toe definitely? :blink:

hosel is the connection of shaft and clubhead correct? Toe is the... toe of the clubhead I suppose. The outward protruding part of the clubhead is toe definitely?

Golf shank is not any different from a football punter shanking a punt.

The ball hit off the side of the punter's foot so severely that it goes virtually dead left, or dead right.

It doesn't matter which side of the foot, or which end of the club, the ball shanks off of....I know bad grammar, but screw it. :smartass:

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

hosel is the connection of shaft and clubhead correct? Toe is the... toe of the clubhead I suppose. The outward protruding part of the clubhead is toe definitely?

Oh... you asked what causes shanks.

Well,,,, I don't know.... maybe a very severe inside-out swing or maybe a severe outside-in swing.... or it could be any other severe swing flaws.

SUCCESS! I went out today and shot and honest to goodness, no mulligans, count every stroke 95 for the first time. What's crazy to me is that had I been a little more on my game, two holes could have made the difference between 88 or 89 versus the 95 I shot. I'm really thrilled but I need to go out and do it again and reaffirm. I also posted this in my thread about trying to go from super hacker to decent, here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940]http://thesandtrap.com/t/73507/super-hacker-to-decent-golfer-whos-done-it/90#post_1000940[/URL].

Congratulations, however be prepared to go backwards again! I got 103 then 100 before breaking 100 by getting a 93. I was confident I could stay below 100 but my last rounds have been 123, 115 and 112. Golf makes no sense to me!

Had a decent range session yesterday. Ended with practicing 2 putting from 30 ft out and sunk the last one and chipping went well. For my full swing I was working on a draw and had success except for my 6 iron at times and was slicing my woods a tad...go figure

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Had a decent range session yesterday. Ended with practicing 2 putting from 30 ft out and sunk the last one and chipping went well. For my full swing I was working on a draw and had success except for my 6 iron at times and was slicing my woods a tad...go figure

You practice your 6 footers and inside? Those are the must makes.

Congrats ... I going to do it tomorrow!

Good luck man. Be the next one to join the club! [quote name="PJCdude" url="/t/74913/breaking-bad-club-a-thread-for-those-trying-to-break-100/90#post_1001127"]Had a decent range session yesterday. Ended with practicing 2 putting from 30 ft out and sunk the last one and chipping went well. For my full swing I was working on a draw and had success except for my 6 iron at times and was slicing my woods a tad...go figure[/quote] PJCDude, I am finding out that taking advantage of my practice time is huge on lowering my high handicap..... I used to go buy a large bucket and fly through it. I now buy a medium and it takes me even longer because each swing has a purpose. You are further along than I am currently and it looks like you are knocking on 99's door.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

You practice your 6 footers and inside? Those are the must makes.

Oh definitely. You read Ray Floyd's book too? I practice on a putting rug in my apt putting over dimes 6 feet away. I just like ending practice with a lag putt and then walking up and sinking the same ball. More realistic:

Good luck man. Be the next one to join the club! PJCDude, I am finding out that taking advantage of my practice time is huge on lowering my high handicap..... I used to go buy a large bucket and fly through it. I now buy a medium and it takes me even longer because each swing has a purpose. You are further along than I am currently and it looks like you are knocking on 99's door.

I agree totally. My wife gave birth a week ago so right now I don't have a ton of opportunities (but that's fine...I love the little guy!) however I feel a double digit round coming soon. Best of luck Gipper!

I agree totally. My wife gave birth a week ago so right now I don't have a ton of opportunities (but that's fine...I love the little guy!) however I feel a double digit round coming soon. Best of luck Gipper!

Congrats, being a dad is the greatest job we can have. It may slow your golf down a little bit but it won't be long till they are tagging along. My 6 year old girl hits buckets with me two-three times a week and loves it.

Congrats, being a dad is the greatest job we can have. It may slow your golf down a little bit but it won't be long till they are tagging along. My 6 year old girl hits buckets with me two-three times a week and loves it.

Glad to hear!

Oh definitely. You read Ray Floyd's book too? I practice on a putting rug in my apt putting over dimes 6 feet away. I just like ending practice with a lag putt and then walking up and sinking the same ball. More realistic:

No, i just had some people point out that the make percentages from longer distances even for pros are low because missing by an inch costs the same as one missed by 4 feet. As far as use of time, you shave more strokes putting around 8 feet and in. It is fun to lag putt when you're rolling them well though :)

OK I brought home a 95 ... today's goal ... no penalties ... easy swings with the driver trying to cut out being way off the fairway ... results:

No penalties!!! (but very short drives ... )

Fairway 68% .. with the exception of on topper out of one tee box, the others were right next to the fairway ... first cut ..

Putts 1.84% ... really made some good 5-6 foot one putts (just put in a practice green in my back yard!)

Blowup holes ... 2 but was able to stop the bleeding at 8 ... (I have done worse)

What worked ... not trying to hit the ball hard and far, but a solid strike and straight

When I was 175+ out I opted for two shorter irons ... result was a more controlled shot from the fairway into the green, rather than from a bunker or some crazy place, like in the trees etc ... this seems to work the best.  100 yards in I am actually pretty good ...

Next steps, continue working the longer yardage ... while on the range I focus on the target and the hit, but on the course especially from the tee box, I see all the places I do not want to be and tend to look up a lot, and hold on to the club rather than looking at the ball and swing through it ... its a mental thing for me ... I have just nailed too many houses with a slice lately ... so I am very tentative

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Nice round!

Arghhhhh!!! I have not hit a ball yet this weekend. Not good. I practiced putting in the house for a while but I need to get to the range!

Note: This thread is 1319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!