IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

I am hoping to smoke my first brisket here soon. I had an UDS smoker which I miss and loved, now it have a smokey mountain from Weber which I like but not as much as my UDS. Any good brisket advice out there. I have done scores of Boston Butts and a few ribs but no brisket yet.

I prefer 6-10 pounds and right around 3/4" to 1" maximum on the fat cap. I usually shoot for 210° which should be about 195-205° at grate-level in most smokers. For a 10 pound brisket at 220°, you're looking at about 14-16 hours of time so it's literally an all day event. Pick a nice relaxing Saturday or Sunday and grab a few of your favorite beers. Try not to leave the smoker unattended for too long though. You should be good to check in on it every 30-45 minutes or so at max though.

Please don't get me started on rubs though because I'll never shut up and I don't want to take over the thread lol :beer:

Finally, carving is extremely important as well. I usually start at the point. Always keep your eye on the grain and cutt cross grain into 1/8-1/4" thick slices. I've had briskets where the grain changed 4-5 times while cutting. Always keep up on the grain's direction for the most tender cuts. (I cringe when I see people carving up a steak in all different directions, so maybe I'm too crazy about this step)

Finally, carving is extremely important as well. I usually start at the point. Always keep your eye on the grain and cutt cross grain into 1/8-1/4" thick slices. I've had briskets where the grain changed 4-5 times while cutting. Always keep up on the grain's direction for the most tender cuts. (I cringe when I see people carving up a steak in all different directions, so maybe I'm too crazy about this step)

no, not at all.  i do an awesome flank steak and the most important steps are the heat of the grill and then the cutting.  if its not across the grain then its ruined.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just blew it for the day. Should have taken a picture of the monster elk roast sub I just ate, elk roast, tomato, red onion, shredded lettuce, hot peppers with oil and seasoning. All in all somewhat healthy if not for the massive roll. I gave half to an employee because I couldn't resist the pheasant breast on rye with house smoked swiss so I'll be hitting the carbs again later. I'm not big on diet "cheat days" but I'm cutting loose today. Dang near bought a corned buffalo sub just because.

Dave :-)

Di Fara's in Brooklyn. Gets a lot of accolades but overrated imho. Very good pizza, but doesn't live up to the hype but very few do.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just blew it for the day. Should have taken a picture of the monster elk roast sub I just ate, elk roast, tomato, red onion, shredded lettuce, hot peppers with oil and seasoning. All in all somewhat healthy if not for the massive roll. I gave half to an employee because I couldn't resist the pheasant breast on rye with house smoked swiss so I'll be hitting the carbs again later. I'm not big on diet "cheat days" but I'm cutting loose today. Dang near bought a corned buffalo sub just because.

Holy eff... Where is this place?

Colin P.

Tomato ricotta chicken roll ups and Zucchini chips

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

this is for Cipher. Two drunk chickens and a whole pork loin.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

The pork loin.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Here is the before. It has now been rubbed down and is sitting in the fridge. At 4am it goes on the smoker! I will send an update when done.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

195f baby, 195f.

Tom R.

195f baby, 195f.

Just put them on.... Heck yeah!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Chipotle triple chicken bowl, salsa, black beans, sour cream and double cheese

Mike McLoughlin

Been planning this meal for a while. Told my KB instructor that if I hit my body weight goal I'd take him to IHOP.

I had the chicken and waffles, omelette with bacon, mushroom, tomato, cheese and blueberry pancakes.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Donuts from Brooklyn's Dough. From bottom right counter clockwise, that's a salt caramel, lemon poppy, hibiscus, and dulce con leche.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Grilled Pizza ... homemade everything for the pizza eating dieter...  peppers, mushrooms, San Marzano, Basil, Spinach, and reduced cheese.

Not the most appetizing look, and I was low in the cupboard or I would have added sautéed onions and kalamata olives.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I made an apple pie yesterday (first photo) mostly because I'm working on perfecting my crust technique, and apples were on sale. I had two apples and some paste left over, so I made "baked apple apple-pie" thingies. I cored out the apples through the top and hollowed them out a bit, chopped the scooped out apple meat with pie seasoning, and stuffed it back in. Then I rolled out the dough. Half I cut into strips and made a lattice top for one apple, the other half I shaped into a full pie crust and put it on the other. Then I baked it off as you would baked apples. I liked the original full pie better myself, but I think the individual apples would make a neat Thanksgiving dessert for friends. They came out pretty good. I played around and sprinkled the tops with colored sugar, as you can see. But I don't think it looked good. Next time I'm just brushing it with an egg wash and white sugar. (BTW the miniature corgi figurine is mandatory.)

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.