IGNORED

Why is Calvin Peete not talked about?

RightEdge
Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bobby Nichols, Wayne Levi, Tony Lema, Bruce Lietzke, Dave Hill, George Archer, Art Wall Jr., Bruce Crampton, Mike Suchak, Julius Boros, Hubert Green, Doug Ford, Doug Sanders.

All of these guys have as many, or more, PGA Tour wins as Calvin Peete, and all of them played in the somewhat modern-ish era (I left off several guys who have 12-15 wins but stopped playing prior to the 1960's)

Why are these guys not talked about?!?!?!?!?!?!  I demand an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost positive it's racism though. :-P

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bobby Nichols, Wayne Levi, Tony Lema, Bruce Lietzke, Dave Hill, George Archer, Art Wall Jr., Bruce Crampton, Mike Suchak, Julius Boros, Hubert Green, Doug Ford, Doug Sanders.

All of these guys have as many, or more, PGA Tour wins as Calvin Peete, and all of them played in the somewhat modern-ish era (I left off several guys who have 12-15 wins but stopped playing prior to the 1960's)

Why are these guys not talked about?!?!?!?!?!?!  I demand an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost positive it's racism though.

Doug Sanders is, back off you fool and start your routine again............

Doug Sanders is, back off you fool and start your routine again............

Ah nuts, I guess that means my entire point is 100% invalid because one of the 13 guys I listed is talked about.

Dangit, silly me!!

When I was young, I was a fan of Tom Watson and Calvin Peete (nice hat).  I mentioned him in the 'favorite golfers' thread along with Chi Chi and a couple others too.

Bill - 

He's never taken a lesson and didnt pick up the game until his 20's

This is one of the most overlooked facts when talking about Peete. That's absolutely incredible. So rare.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I'm pretty young by the standards of being around while these guys were playing. I do remember Hoch, because he played for a long time, I remember seeing him play. I also think I remember Peete here, the discussion about his arm and not healing correctly and that being the reason why he never had a straight left arm. There are a lot of players that a majority won't know, it's just the nature of how many players come and go in golf. It's the same for a lot of sports too though. If a person isn't exciting to watch they will be forgotten most of the time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

David Leadbetter mentioned him today on the Morning Drive...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

David Leadbetter mentioned him today on the Morning Drive...

Coincidence???

Perhaps @davidleadbetter is a TST member and read this thread?!?!?!

Mr Peete was my idol for years when I started , that man allowed "All" of us to play this great game . Golf had a way of being a one color game he changed this for us . If you closely follow his bio he experiences quite a bit of racism . It's still there every day I see it everyday and experience it / Still more needs to be done to eliminate it and golf still has a longs wayz to go. Lots lots of big clubs frown on us Worlds still not fair at all not at all

There are lots of guys (actually 85 of them) who had as many wins, but I doubt if anyone was ever more accurate off the tee.  Moe Norman for example gets talked about for his accuracy, and he was a much less accomplished golfer, and I would bet he also wasn't as accurate as Peete.

Peete led the PGA tour for 10 years in a row in driving accuracy. For three years in a row (1981-1983) he led in both that and GIR.

In PGA tour history, only four times has a player played a 72-hole tournament without missing a fairway. Peete was responsible for two of those, at the Memorial tournament in back to back years (1986 and 1987).

In the Champions tour history, only twice has a player hit every fairway in a 54-hole tournament. Peete did it in 1996 at the VFW Senior Championship.

He was also one of the top overall golfers from 1981-1985, ranking 1st in scoring average in 1984, and second in 1982 and 1983, and in the top 5 in money won in 1982, 1983, and 1985.

But mainly, he's worth remembering because he can probably fairly claim to be the most accurate driver ever.

Mr Peete was my idol for years when I started , that man allowed "All" of us to play this great game . Golf had a way of being a one color game he changed this for us . If you closely follow his bio he experiences quite a bit of racism .

It's still there every day I see it everyday and experience it / Still more needs to be done to eliminate it and golf still has a longs wayz to go. Lots lots of big clubs frown on us Worlds still not fair at all not at all

You are literally the only person that continues to bring up race. We get it, racism is still very much part of society, you don't have to spin it four different ways.

Also proper grammar goes a long way too.

Joel Holden

Calvin Peete regularly was the most accurate driver on tour during the 80's, he said maintaining good balance was the single most important factor for being so accurate with the driver, it was usually him and Mike Reid as the 2 most accurate during that time.

So because of this thread, I went to the range on my lunch break with balance and ONLY balance in the back of my mind. One of the best range sessions I've ever had. Just thinking about keeping as properly balanced as I could be kept my head still...and I didn't swing as hard. I found the sweet spot nearly every time.

Going to have to remember this one.

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

Watcha sayin. ? Grammar? My kind isn't educated like your kind?

Tipical. White response

What is "your" kind?  Honest question.  Aren't we all "golfers" here?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Watcha sayin. ? Grammar? My kind isn't educated like your kind?

Tipical. White response You cant be serious.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I'm an older guy I guess. I remember watching Calvin compete. I liked him a lot. Always seemed like a class act.

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!