IGNORED

Which iron shaft have the best feel

Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With all due respect, that's an entirely subjective question with no real answer that doesn't boil down to personal preference...  I like the "feel" of graphite shafts because they soften impact somewhat.  Others may want to feel that impact and think graphite feels dead.  I sort of like heavier shafts in my irons because to me I seem to be able to track the swing a bit better.  Others may love light shafts...

A more important question is which shaft PERFORMS best for YOU in a particular club.  That is a question best addressed by a good fitter with a launch monitor.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

With all due respect, that's an entirely subjective question with no real answer that doesn't boil down to personal preference...

I know that it's a subjective question, but I just want to know what kind of opinion/experience the players have.

KBS

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I imagine different shafts feel different to different people. I've been fit 3x and had people recommend shafts they swear by and hated them. My experience is some shaft and head combos feel weird together. I like the KBS Tour but after reading reviews some people had nothing good to say about KBS.

Dave :-)

I imagine different shafts feel different to different people. I've been fit 3x and had people recommend shafts they swear by and hated them.

Hi, thx for your reply. What did you hate about them? Did they feel dead at impact or how would you describe it?

Hi, thx for your reply. What did you hate about them? Did they feel dead at impact or how would you describe it?

I had a fitter put some PX 6.0's on Cleveland 588 CB heads. Felt like hitting a club off concrete it was so harsh. Part of it was the head, a little out of my league. The same shaft felt better in whatever the new Taylor Made clubs were at the time. But I tried the PX, DGS300 and KBS Tour in the 588 and the KBS felt the best to me. It was food for thought that day because I didn't buy anything.

Dave :-)

I depends upon:

• Clubhead speed generated: most don't want a shaft too spongy or too boardy
  • Swing characteristics: A golfer who has a quick transition from top to downswing will probably want a stiffer shaft than someone with a smoother transition

Also, it depends on golfer preferences: some want a shaft and club where they can really feel the impact, others want minimal feel and a ball that just goes straight.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

KBS :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hickory.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I depends upon: Also, it depends on golfer preferences: some want a shaft and club where they can really feel the impact, others want minimal feel and a ball that just goes straight.

And in which shafts do you really feel the impact?

KBS

Yeah, KBS Tour.  Not KBS C-Taper.  KBS Tour shafts feel sweet, the ball seems to just pounce off of the face and launch into the air.  C-Tapers feel like you're swinging your car door at the ball.  (FWIW I use C-Tapers, in spite of the crappy feel, because I like the low-launch/low-spin.  KBS Tours were too high.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Regarding the feel of irons: What do you think has more affect - the shaft or the clubhead?

I'd say on the whole the head contributes more to feel, but both play a role. Blades and forged clubs will transfer more vibration on off-center hits than a SGI iron. Some shafts dampen vibration and counter the bad feel of a mishit. All irons feel good when you hit them in the middle of the face. The right shaft--particularly the right weight--can help you hit the middle more often. At the end of the day, feel is mostly subjective. You've got to hit different head and shaft setups and find out what feels good to you.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!