IGNORED

I have room for a club in my bag, what should I get?

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently, the clubs I use and their distances:

Driver: 230-240, the rest of the clubs measured off the dirt:

3W: 210

5W: 195

7W: 182

9W: 170

6I: 160

7I: 150

8I: 140

9I: 130

PW: 120

SW: 100

LW: 80

I can step on all those clubs and get an extra five yards if I have to.  I just do a lower finish and draw them a bit.

Currently I have a 5I in my bag but since it goes about the same distance as the 9W and I hit the 9W better it gets reserved for punch shots.  I pull it about once every five rounds or so.

I'm thinking of getting a 64 degree wedge.  I'm not very good at taking distance off clubs, so I have real trouble sometimes from the 50-60 yard distance.  I often end up just hitting a REALLY HARD pitch and I don't think it's very productive.

Do you agree that this is probably my best plan?  And does anyone have experience with a 64?

Thanks in advance.

"Witty golf quote."

I suppose you could go with a GW as well... Something for that 110 yd range.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, but that seems to be less of a problem.  50-60 yards seems more common.  Third shot on Par 5s, forced (or unintentional) layups on Par 4s.  Plus, knocking 10 yards off a 120 yard club (8.3%) is easier than knocking 20-30 yards off an 80 yard club (~31.25%).

At least, that's the way it seems to me.

"Witty golf quote."

I've got a 64° and can hit it about 45-50 max. One thing I will say is that it will get the up and up and up. And it will land soft dead on a dime. I typically use it closer to the green for flops and super-flops or to get out of really really deep bunkers.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I've got a 64° and can hit it about 45-50 max. One thing I will say is that it will get the up and up and up. And it will land soft dead on a dime. I typically use it closer to the green for flops and super-flops or to get out of really really deep bunkers.

See, that sounds good to me.  The problem with taking a ton off my LW swing to hit it 50 yards is that it kills the spin.

How far do you hit your other wedges?

"Witty golf quote."

I've had this same debate myself many times. I ended up just spending a bunch of time practicing with my 52 and 56 and learned the shots I needed with those. Now pretty much anything from that distance in is a 52.

My 64 is both my favorite club in the bag and the one that's been with me the most years. I tend to usually go for the pin so I short side myself alot. The 64 is great when you have so little green to work with. Now keep in mind that I set up with my weight very forward and chip/pitch with more of a putting stroke so I'm delofting the club to about 60 or less but can still hit the super flop when I need to.

David

My 64 is both my favorite club in the bag and the one that's been with me the most years. I tend to usually go for the pin so I short side myself alot. The 64 is great when you have so little green to work with. Now keep in mind that I set up with my weight very forward and chip/pitch with more of a putting stroke so I'm delofting the club to about 60 or less but can still hit the super flop when I need to.

Sounds like you pitch like me.

I can't find a lefty one of these anywhere.  I'm going to just buy a $30 Acer off Ebay, see how it goes.  It's pretty much all I've found.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!