Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crim

Mid to Long Irons continue to elude me...(why did this "trick" work?)

8 posts in this topic

I am fine with everything about my game right now...except for 8iron to 4iron. I cannot stay consistent with those clubs in any way. I just can't seem to square that face up. I've been tweeking things here and there based on different things I've read and heard. The main thing I was doing today was trying to get my weight 90% onto my lead leg on contact. I just kept getting worse and worse contact and started slicing.

For completely no reason, I just tried to play the ball like a drive (i had to try something different)....but with my 7 iron. I kept my weight way back and then transferred it to the front...but definitely nowhere near 90%. In fact I didn't even think too much about getting the weight to the front at all. And wouldn't you know it, beautiful shots. I just don't get it, why would that work?

Is my swing path so far off that something I probably shouldn't be doing works?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Maybe I should reiterate about one thing, I say I was in drive position and then transferred my weight to the front. That's what I tried to do anyway, I'd say I was still feeling more around 50/50 at impact. But it just worked so well.

Long Irons for me is one swing thought."stay back and release through"

Then finish with weight forward.

Don't know what I actually do but if I feel like i get to the front early I get a big fade

I no longer carry "long" irons. Solved that problem.

Yeah I keep my weight pretty even when I hit my irons and I seem to hit them nice and straight for the most part.  I might lean back ever so slightly with a 3 or 4 iron to help get it up in the air but those are the only clubs I do that with.

You're probably spinning out trying to get to your left so much.

Getting your weight forward and "clearing" the hips are two completely different things..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're probably spinning out trying to get to your left so much.

I'd guess the same thing. @Crim , update your swing thread with new video. It will be much easier to diagnose, rather than to speculate.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades