IGNORED

Carry 2 x sand wedges??

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone ever carry 2 sw's?? I've dug my old high bounce sw out for tomorrow, it was ace at getting out of bunkers but crap off fairways! So I bought a low bounce one, which is the exact opposite! I've found myself in a few bunkers recently and I've suffered! So tomorrow I'm taking both! Just wondering if anyone else does/has done this?

Gaz Lee

@Hardballs ,

I would just stick with the high bounce.  It has multiple uses and if you use good pitching technique, the bounce actually helps more.  Low bounce wedges, for me, have less margin for error and can get stuck in the turf.  I use my 58-12 for everything from full shots to sand, pitches, lobs, chips and putting when the ball is against the fringe.

I would say it is my favorite club in the bag.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do the same thing, although some may not consider a 58 degree a sand wedge (11 bounce) with a 56 degree 14 bounce.

For me, it isnt costing me another club because my other option would be to put a 3 wood in the bag - and if i had it in the bag, i would use it which would not be kind to the scorecard.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I used to have an R7 sand wedge and lob wedge that came with my set of clubs that had a lot of bounce. I don't remember the amount but it was substantial.

I gave them away because it was so limited off of tight lies for really high and really short flop shots, although they were great for standard pitches, chips and getting out of bunkers.

If I could do it over again I would have kept those clubs and simply added my current Adams sand wedge with less bounce or put the Adams 60 that I rarely carry in the bag. :doh:

Even worse is that the course I play now has longer fairway grass and many less situations where I even need to hit the super flops.

Lesson learned: Don't give away my clubs until I'm sure that's what I need to do. :-D

But I do like to have at least one lower bounce club in the bag (just in case) and it doesn't make much difference to me if it's a 56 or a 60.

I carry two sand wedges. I use my G20 SW that has a higher bounce out of the sand. I constantly hit this club thin on tight lies or when chipping. I bought a Titleist Vokey with 8 degree bounce, and it has done wonders for my fairway shots and chipping.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

I carry two sand wedges. I use my G20 SW that has a higher bounce out of the sand. I constantly hit this club thin on tight lies or when chipping. I bought a Titleist Vokey with 8 degree bounce, and it has done wonders for my fairway shots and chipping.

This is my thought! I love my 56/06 cleveland sw of tight lies and It will not be leaving my bag in the immediate future, but I'm struggling in bunkers recently! So I'll be bagging my other as well this wkend, I don't even know the bounce but it appears huge! The leading edge is about 1/4 inch of the ground at address, utter blade machine on the fairway, although that could likely be due to my technique as well! I'll give an update after my game tomorrow!

Gaz Lee

@Hardballs , I use my 58-12 for everything from full shots to sand, pitches, lobs, chips and putting when the ball is against the fringe. I would say it is my favorite club in the bag.

It sounds like my favourite club in your bag! Hmmm, might need to rethink now! Thanks!... I think!

Gaz Lee

I don't really have a specific wedge just for sand. Depending on the distance and bunker condition I use 50-54-58. All have different grinds.

Dave :-)

Does anyone ever carry 2 sw's??

I've dug my old high bounce sw out for tomorrow, it was ace at getting out of bunkers but crap off fairways! So I bought a low bounce one, which is the exact opposite!

I've found myself in a few bunkers recently and I've suffered! So tomorrow I'm taking both! Just wondering if anyone else does/has done this?

Technically, I do.  I carry a Vokey 54° w/ 11° bounce, and a CG15  56° w/10° bounce.  However, only the Vokey is used for sand, and that is the only thing I use it for.  The 56 is my version of a high loft/utility wedge.  I don't carry anything with more loft than that.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I carry one SW, and I sure don't use it because it has a bit too much bounce (14). I use my 60 (06) for everything from sand to 95yd shots. Love that club!

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I played two SWs for a while. I had my 54.11 Vokey and a SW that came with my beginner set. The wedge from my set was good for everything other than opening the face up. I used it out of the sand also because it had a nice fat sole. Eventually I got rid of it for a lob wedge once I got used to my Vokey

Henry

How do you tell when buying say a 60 or 52 what the bounce is rated at?

Should have something like 60.07 on the back of the club. The second number is the bounce. The first number is the loft.

I knew a guy that used to play 2 [quote name="dragnframe" url="/t/75061/carry-2-x-sand-wedges#post_1000807"]How do you tell when buying say a 60 or 52 what the bounce is rated at?[/quote] And if in doubt just ask whoever is working in the store :-)

Henry

Ok. I am really limited on places to purchase clubs in my area. Basically have dicks sporting goods or dunhams sports, most of the time there's a high school kid in there that doesn't even know the difference between an girls wedge or men's wedge (yes I asked just to see if he had any clue of golf) so getting any help is pretty much thrown out the window before I get there.

Ok. I am really limited on places to purchase clubs in my area. Basically have dicks sporting goods or dunhams sports, most of the time there's a high school kid in there that doesn't even know the difference between an girls wedge or men's wedge (yes I asked just to see if he had any clue of golf) so getting any help is pretty much thrown out the window before I get there.

Me neither. ;-)

I carry a 56 and 60.....

The 56 has standard bounce and I don't even know what it is...probably around 8*........my 60 has less...maybe 4*.   The bounce isn't a factor when playing shots whether full or partial......from tight lies.  If I am playing a full 56 and don't want bounce, I square the clubface..pretty simple!!

When it comes to bunker shots, I favor my 60* with a firm lie, and 56* with fluffy deep sand lies.   Basic stuff...  Ball flight from a greenside bunker is all about shotmaking....   whether I choose the 60 or 56 is based more on the lie than anything else.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!