IGNORED

High hcp beginner golfer, new driver for medium clubhead speed (104mph) ?

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

LOFT UP!!!

Yep, launch it high and spin it less

@late347 all the drivers you mentioned are good, make sure to check out our reviews of some of those drivers

http://thesandtrap.com/b/reviews

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give the Cleveland drivers a shot. You may be surprised. They do t promote like the big 3 (ping,Callaway,taylormade) so most people do t even look there way.

So I bought the cobra biocell with stiff project X 62g shaft. I'm hitting way worse with this new club though :~( It's the stock length though... it's 45.75 inch shaft. And the grip is lamkin 3gen standard size. It feels almost like I have to really squeeze the grip to get hold of this club. All my other clubs are gripped with golf pride tour velvet. It feels just strange to use the lamkin grips, it's what I'm saying. It feels almost as though the lamkin grips are bigger size than golf prides. I'm using golf pride tour velvet standard and lamkin standard 3gen, the latter in this new driver. I was thinking about shortening the shaft definitely somewhat. I'm about 5 foot 8 tall. (my driver is longer than bubba's driver lol :-D) Do you think the grip style could also affect anything? I measured the circumference of my 3iron golf pride grip, and circumference of my driver lamkin 3gen. It turned out that lamkin 3gen is slightly bigger at exactly 9.0cm. Golf pride tour velvet is 8.9cm

so my hand size is men's small. I was thinking about trying some undersize grips at the golf store / practice range?

My most common fault shot are: push, push-slice, push-fade

i think as a beginner player you should stay away from a driver.

build yourself a swing first

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

From personal experience of once being a poor driver of the ball, I would highly recommend 12* loft! And to keep the length at, or under 45"! These 2 factors changed my game completely! As for shaft, it can get complex, either do extensive research and guess, or get a fitting! I guessed and got lucky!

Gaz Lee

So I bought the cobra biocell with stiff project X 62g shaft. I'm hitting way worse with this new club though :~( It's the stock length though... it's 45.75 inch shaft. And the grip is lamkin 3gen standard size. It feels almost like I have to really squeeze the grip to get hold of this club. All my other clubs are gripped with golf pride tour velvet. It feels just strange to use the lamkin grips, it's what I'm saying. It feels almost as though the lamkin grips are bigger size than golf prides. I'm using golf pride tour velvet standard and lamkin standard 3gen, the latter in this new driver. I was thinking about shortening the shaft definitely somewhat. I'm about 5 foot 8 tall. (my driver is longer than bubba's driver lol :-D) Do you think the grip style could also affect anything? I measured the circumference of my 3iron golf pride grip, and circumference of my driver lamkin 3gen. It turned out that lamkin 3gen is slightly bigger at exactly 9.0cm. Golf pride tour velvet is 8.9cm

I just got one, and reviewed it. When you say you hit worse with this club, what do you mean by worse? Your swing should be relaxed, and the same as with your dad's driver. The project X 6.0 is a pretty stiff shaft. It is stiffer than the stiff shafts in TM, Callaway and even Ping stock shafts. I have this shaft, and it feels really good to me. If you are in the 95 to 110mph swing speed range, it should feel fine. Did you get fitted with a simulator or Trakman? You are not that short, and shortening the club will only stiffen the shaft more and raise the kick point. You should note that the Project X shafts are not low kick point shafts and will tend to hit the ball lower unless you are level or a positive AoA. Try lofting up to 12 degrees. Grip will only affect affect you if the club is not in primary contact with your fingers.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I just got one, and reviewed it. When you say you hit worse with this club, what do you mean by worse? Your swing should be relaxed, and the same as with your dad's driver.

The project X 6.0 is a pretty stiff shaft. It is stiffer than the stiff shafts in TM, Callaway and even Ping stock shafts. I have this shaft, and it feels really good to me. If you are in the 95 to 110mph swing speed range, it should feel fine. Did you get fitted with a simulator or Trakman?

You are not that short, and shortening the club will only stiffen the shaft more and raise the kick point. You should note that the Project X shafts are not low kick point shafts and will tend to hit the ball lower unless you are level or a positive AoA.

Try lofting up to 12 degrees.

Grip will only affect affect you if the club is not in primary contact with your fingers.

ok so the low ball flight should be technique issue then I suppose.

I don't actually know anything about golf club technology except club loft (static loft). 105mph average was flightscope simulator.

Yea I tried a couple drivers at the store Taylormade sldr and cobra were the better clubs and cobra is better looking so I chose that one.  I did hit the cobra actually somewhat ok outdoors at the demo event when I first hit this club.  But even then I was hitting downward too much... :-\

Does grip change (from let's say lamkin standard -->golf pride standard) affect the club characteristics at all, or is it just baloney?

I guess my issue with the driver is that my dad's driver (my previous driver) was shortened down for him.

Maybe it was one inch shorter shaft. My new cobra shaft is 45.75 inch and old big bertha shaft is about 44.75 (me and my dad were comparing the clubs side by side.)

ok so the low ball flight should be technique issue then I suppose.

I don't actually know anything about golf club technology except club loft (static loft). 105mph average was flightscope simulator.

Yea I tried a couple drivers at the store Taylormade sldr and cobra were the better clubs and cobra is better looking so I chose that one.  I did hit the cobra actually somewhat ok outdoors at the demo event when I first hit this club.  But even then I was hitting downward too much...

Does grip change (from let's say lamkin standard -->golf pride standard) affect the club characteristics at all, or is it just baloney?

I guess my issue with the driver is that my dad's driver (my previous driver) was shortened down for him.

Maybe it was one inch shorter shaft. My new cobra shaft is 45.75 inch and old big bertha shaft is about 44.75 (me and my dad were comparing the clubs side by side.)

What I am saying is the Project X 6.0 you bought with the driver is a low trajectory shaft, which in turn requires better swing mechanics because the shaft does not kick up as much at impact.

BRAND Project X
SHAFT TRAJECTORY Low
SHAFT TYPE Graphite
SHAFT WEIGHT 60 to 70 Grams, 67 Grams or Less
TIP DIAMETER 335.0
TORQUE

3.6 to 4.8 °s

If there is a chance to change to the 5.5 shaft you might like the results more. It will kick up more because the shaft is a little bit less stiff.

If you shorten the driver I would recommend getting another shaft. You can order new fittings for your driver for other shafts. A less expensive alternative would be a UST Mamiya Proforce V2 55 .335 Graphite Wood Shaft for around $60 to $70.

Then later on, you can revert back to the factory shaft.

Are you sure you have a true 105 swing when you are actually driving? Because even with my 95mph swing, my ball flight is high enough with the 6.0 shaft with a flat AoA.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What I am saying is the Project X 6.0 you bought with the driver is a low trajectory shaft, which in turn requires better swing mechanics because the shaft does not kick up as much at impact.

BRAND

Project X

SHAFT TRAJECTORY

Low

SHAFT TYPE

Graphite

SHAFT WEIGHT

60 to 70 Grams, 67 Grams or Less

TIP DIAMETER

TORQUE

3.6 to 4.8 °s

If there is a chance to change to the 5.5 shaft you might like the results more. It will kick up more because the shaft is a little bit less stiff.

If you shorten the driver I would recommend getting another shaft. You can order new fittings for your driver for other shafts. A less expensive alternative would be a UST Mamiya Proforce V2 55 .335 Graphite Wood Shaft for around $60 to $70.

Are you sure you have a true 105 swing when you are actually driving? Because even with my 95mph swing, my ball flight is high enough with the 6.0 shaft with a flat AoA.

I think I would caution going to the 5.5 because in the nike driver's they were prone to breaking at the hosel. When mine broke they sent it back with a Kuro Kage instead. I'm pretty sure it was a 5.5. I'll have to check to make sure though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

BRAND

Project X

SHAFT TRAJECTORY

Low

SHAFT TYPE

Graphite

SHAFT WEIGHT

60 to 70 Grams, 67 Grams or Less

TIP DIAMETER

TORQUE

3.6 to 4.8 °s

average is between 104-105

peak speed was 113 ! (I was really surprised about that)

105 was average for the cobra at the club fitting center, thus sayeth the radar of flight scope monitor...

I guess I just gotta learn better swing tempo and make some fixes to my swing, huh?

Let me be clear though... My driver shots were never that great to begin with!

So the idea that the new club hasn't brought overnight changes is somewhat realistic in the end.

I will buy some new impact tape to test out the impact locations a little bit and see if poor impacts continues to be the case.

If I'm swinging hard, and the impact is solid... Then it would have to be downward strike at the ball, or too much backspin. And biocell seems to be somewhat low spinning driver so it's not exactly the worst offender in this matter.

average is between 104-105

peak speed was 113 ! (I was really surprised about that)

105 was average for the cobra at the club fitting center, thus sayeth the radar of flight scope monitor...

I guess I just gotta learn better swing tempo and make some fixes to my swing, huh?

Let me be clear though... My driver shots were never that great to begin with!

So the idea that the new club hasn't brought overnight changes is somewhat realistic in the end.

I will buy some new impact tape to test out the impact locations a little bit and see if poor impacts continues to be the case.

If I'm swinging hard, and the impact is solid... Then it would have to be downward strike at the ball, or too much backspin. And biocell seems to be somewhat low spinning driver so it's not exactly the worst offender in this matter.

IIRC you mentioned in earlier posts that you hit them out 240 typically and 275+ on occasion. Poor impact would never give you anything close to 240 yards carry.

If you're able to swing 105, I'm not sure what the issue is. I assumed you meant that your shots are going low.

So, what do you mean by "bad" shots?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

IIRC you mentioned in earlier posts that you hit them out 240 typically and 275+ on occasion. Poor impact would never give you anything close to 240 yards carry.

If you're able to swing 105, I'm not sure what the issue is. I assumed you meant that your shots are going low.

So, what do you mean by "bad" shots?

dat seems to be the jist of it.

I notice that I can get some roll even at the driving ranges. But I'd like better trajectory somehow...

Slightly negative AoA possibly.

Bad shots are push slice these days according to flightscope etc...

I'm gonna try max loft setting 12deg next time at range just for the fun of it. (I've been using 9.5deg thusfar)

Just to see if lofting up could help a little bit considering that I'm going to play with my dad twice on the weekend at my golf club.

dat seems to be the jist of it.

Slightly negative AoA possibly.

Bad shots are push slice these days according to flightscope etc...

I'm gonna try max loft setting 12deg next time at range just for the fun of it. (I've been using 9.5deg thusfar)

Just to see if lofting up could help a little bit considering that I'm going to play with my dad twice on the weekend at my golf club.

Swing slower too. You're not out there to prove your manhood by losing balls in the water. You're out there to play golf. Relax. :beer:

If you want to prove how strong you are, do another Scottish sport like the "Highland Games". :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Swing slower too. You're not out there to prove your manhood by losing balls in the water. You're out there to play golf. Relax.

If you want to prove how strong you are, do another Scottish sport like the "Highland Games".

hhehhheh...

I remember reading about those highland games on donald duck comic books...

Scrooge mcDuck tossing huge timbers forward one handed... for distance competition... :-$

I think that you're right though, if I throttle it down somewhat for those difficult fairways... If you get it about 250 yard out there it should be ok...

hhehhheh...

Scrooge mcDuck tossing huge timbers forward one handed... for distance competition...

I think that you're right though, if I throttle it down somewhat for those difficult fairways... If you get it about 250 yard out there it should be ok...

Just okay? You would be in position for many pars.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by late347

hhehhheh...

Scrooge mcDuck tossing huge timbers forward one handed... for distance competition...

Just okay? You would be in position for many pars.

I agree with @Lihu for most courses.

I would be extremely happy right now with 250.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I agree with @Lihu.  250 is plenty for most courses.

I would be extremely happy right now with 250.

I think you're not that far away from reaching 250, judging by your swing. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!