IGNORED

What golf tip actually works?

Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You sees many pros thrust jumping? No, they stay down thru and way past impact. That may help with distance but not consistency. That will make you rise up thru impact, instead of steady head. I only say this because after recently videoing my swing, that seems to be what I have done for years, and I'm currently trying to correct it. My best tip would be to video swing and compare to pros with similar builds. Try to do what they do. What you thinking you are doing you're probably not.

You sees many pros thrust jumping? No, they stay down thru and way past impact. That may help with distance but not consistency. That will make you rise up thru impact, instead of steady head. I only say this because after recently videoing my swing, that seems to be what I have done for years, and I'm currently trying to correct it. My best tip would be to video swing and compare to pros with similar builds. Try to do what they do. What you thinking you are doing you're probably not.

Yes in fact I was shown how many pros heads lower. I use the ground forces and it actually helps me rotate better and faster. Definitely don't rise up early and hump the goats as they say. That move actually dies the exact opposite .

You sees many pros thrust jumping? No, they stay down thru and way past impact. That may help with distance but not consistency. That will make you rise up thru impact, instead of steady head. I only say this because after recently videoing my swing, that seems to be what I have done for years, and I'm currently trying to correct it.

I do. It is pretty common for good players to lower the head a little on the downswing then have it move upward somewhat. All these players are thrusting, their weight gets forward, knees are flexed, they're in their forward bend in the left pics and then they come out of their forward bend, they extend the legs, tuck their butt, point their belt buckles to the sky. It's a ballistic movement.

If you didn't thrust, followthrough would look something like this.

More on all that

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Understand how to interpret your ball flight after EVERY shot that you hit, and interpret impact in regards to clubface, clubpath,and ball position. Then learn to equate those conditions into a feels to build off of.  Working from impact backwards has lead to the biggest improvements in my game because if you truly understand what you are trying to do at impact your body tends to get into the positions necessary to achieve your goal and that is why I flat out despise swing tips.

Go take lessons. Thats the only "tip" that has ever worked for me.

Preferably from one of these guys ;-)

http://purestrike5sk.com/instructors.php

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Most tips that have helped me have involved static set-up adjustments for very specific conditions.

One of the biggest: You're in medium to heavy rough, and the ball has a bit of grass cushion under it. You notice your feet are "sinking" into the grass just a little. In this case, choke up on the club a little to ensure a solid hit. Otherwise, you risk contacting the ball with the top half of the clubface, and hitting a chunker.

Also, beginning golfers don't know how to properly apply a tip. For the first couple of seasons, just rely on your golf pro to get your swing improved.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

To implement and make changes to golf swings can take 1000's of balls for some, others can pick it up quicker.  The average golfer probably plays and practices once a week at best, they'll obviously be exceptions to this.  I think that unless you can commit to at least 3 hours of practice a week(at least one of these hours with a pro that knows what they're doing), you will find it difficult to make significant changes to your swing and you're better of going for a more intuitve, task lead, less technical style of coaching

Ever read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons?

Then you will learn how to hit a slice!!!

Mostly joking :-P

Preferably from one of these guys

http://purestrike5sk.com/instructors.php

Yep, high quality instruction there!!! :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ever read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons ?

There's some good stuff in there, and some stuff that's exclusive to Hogan. Not sure I would say it's categorically correct.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

Trying to convey golf knowledge is problematic from the beginning.

As I'm a slicer, my instructor told me to swing "from in to out".

Somehow, I must use my mind to interpret what this might mean

into signals into my muscles during my swing in order to correct the problem.

I discovered a partial cure, as I still slice from time to time,

I should just take a shorter backswing; that leaves less room for errors.

I might sacrifice distance but better accuracy is more forgiving.

Besides, nothing can be done about my ridiculous putting :(

Relax your muscles ... it's tough for tight muscles to swing to potential.

Maintain a healthy body

Stay positive

Keep your cool

Find a good instructor.

Use video

Be diligent

Laugh at yourself.

Be diligent

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

"Can someone provide me with a categorically correct theory of the swing that isn't cloaked in controversy?" Probably not,since there are so many different opinions on whats important in the golf swing.

To me, the most important part of the swing is getting to the top of the swing in a position that allows the club head to return to ball in a correct impact position. A golfer's impact position tells the ball where to go.

Best tip I ever received was to swing the club to right field, during the down swing, into the ball. This assuming my body alignment was on a line towards center field. That one tip improved my ball striking to where, once I got it ingrained into my swing,  I was saving between 7-10 strokes a round. It got me into the high 70 rounds.

The most proficient sport I ever played was baseball, and using baseball  terminology to improve my down swing was easier to understand. In fact another baseball description (term) was to swing at the golf ball like I would a base ball pitch, that was low, and out side.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Best Tip? Find a teacher who can teach you these things:

1. Key #1 - Steady Head
  2. Key #2 - Weight Forward (at impact)
  3. Key #3 - Inline Impact
  4. Key #4 - Diagonal Sweetspot Path
  5. Key #5 - Clubface Control

The teacher doesn't have to be a 5SK instructor. But whatever they're teaching you, it should result in getting you to ultimately do these things. I realize that most people (including me) on this site are a bit biased toward the 5SK, but these are really just fundamentals of a good swing.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

Was watching Micheal Breed today. He was highlighting Justin Rose's swing. Also, I heard him say this before, and that is, there should be no HIP SLIDE only rotation on the downswing. I suppose you could do it either way, but, doesn't a slight bump, or slide of the hips allow to get your 2 nd axis easier..? Also, doesn't the hip bump/slide allow for better transfer of weight forward..?

I find the 5 keys easy to follow, and it works.

Was watching Micheal Breed today. He was highlighting Justin Rose's swing. Also, I heard him say this before, and that is, there should be no HIP SLIDE only rotation on the downswing. I suppose you could do it either way, but, doesn't a slight bump, or slide of the hips allow to get your 2 nd axis easier..? Also, doesn't the hip bump/slide allow for better transfer of weight forward..?

I find the 5 keys easy to follow, and it works.

Left: Rose at address

Right: Rose during the downswing

Red Line is hips at set up. Don't know, sure looks like the hips slide to me! :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Left: Rose at address

Right: Rose during the downswing

Red Line is hips at set up. Don't know, sure looks like the hips slide to me!

I agree. Breed used a vid of Justin with what looks to be a 6i or longer at the last tourney. I didn't record it, but if you get a chance to see it via a rerun, comment here if you would.

Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!