IGNORED

Being tall an advantage?

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 2398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Imagine what she could do without the herniated disks.

Over drive all the greens from the red tees? Serves her right! :-$

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Imagine what she could do without the herniated disks.

No kidding, reminds me of that episode of Bewitched when Samantha drove the ball 400 yards while playing with Darren and Larry Tate. Of course she was a witch, and it was a fiction show...

Just checked her bio. Average 75 in college. Low of 68. That's pretty impressive since most of your competitive rounds are on strange courses.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Just checked her bio. Average 75 in college. Low of 68. That's pretty impressive since most of your competitive rounds are on strange courses.

You should make her play the championship tees. ;-)

Actually, there is an Arcadia High student that closely matches your description. She definitely hits far, and is maybe 5'5"-ish.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Where is Arcadia High? Sounds Canadian. I see you're in So Cal. I worked in Woodland Hills for a year about 25 years ago. Man time flies.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Where is Arcadia High? Sounds Canadian. I see you're in So Cal. I worked in Woodland Hills for a year about 25 years ago. Man time flies.

Not too far. I have a few friends who live there.

Do/did you work in defense?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 1 month later...

Back on topic, taller guys have longer lever arm due to arm length , torso, legs etc. They may hit the ball further or perhaps with less effort, but they still have to putt. I think today's athlete for most sports is over 6 feet to 6'3" is the norm. Yes there will always be exceptions.

Maybe in a decade, maybe longer, I believe the next dominating athlete in golf will be 6'3" to 6'5" 225 lbs+.... And could very well be Chinese.

I guess we're both wrong, given the recent Open Championship results.

The top 3 are under 5'9", and also impressive that that Rory got 2 eagles in one round. He might be a paradigm for golfing ability.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I guess we're both wrong, given the recent Open Championship results. The top 3 are under 5'9", and also impressive that that Rory got 2 eagles in one round. He might be a paradigm for golfing ability.

Haha, not fair lihu, these 3 also happen to be golfs young guns at the top of the game, but who knows, maybe the more compact swing yields good results! Rory's swing is one the best to my eye!

Gaz Lee

I am 6'6" and have a lean, muscular frame. As most people have stated it does give a distance advantage due to a wide swing and leverage but otherwise it really is a skill game. I generally have an advantage due to my length off the tee but I still have to execute the shot into the green. The drawback is many tall golfers never get properly fitted for clubs and that obviously leads to problems.

I am 6'6" and have a lean, muscular frame. As most people have stated it does give a distance advantage due to a wide swing and leverage but otherwise it really is a skill game. I generally have an advantage due to my length off the tee but I still have to execute the shot into the green. The drawback is many tall golfers never get properly fitted for clubs and that obviously leads to problems.

Actually, not having clubs that fit might be one of the main reasons. It looks really uncomfortable hunching over the irons even though they are already +1.5 inches. Let's see, I'm about 5'10" and use a standard length club. If I were 6'6", i would need a club that is almost 8" longer just to have the same comfortable setup position. I've never seen 46" shafts for 6i. I wonder why more amateurs don't just get longer clubs? Every time i see a tall player hunched way over a club, I just think "That doesn't look comfortable, at all".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I would feel terrible if my lack of height limited my ambitions in golf to winning the Open.

Let me be the first to reassure you.....your height is NOT the limiting factor in your ability to win The Open, or any other major championship. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Top 3 @ the Open yesterday - 5' 10" and under. I recall Curtis Strange noticing the disparity in height between DJ and RM and RM holding up his own with DJ distance wise. Mo Martin. Ladies Open winner. 5' 2".

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Let me be the first to reassure you.....your height is NOT the limiting factor in your ability to win The Open, or any other major championship.

In my case, it might be taking up golf for the first time at the advanced age of pushing 60, but just think of what RM could have accomplished if he had only been taller!

In my case, it might be taking up golf for the first time at the advanced age of pushing 60

Nope, that's not likely it either.....

But look at it this way, at least you and I don't have to worry about what to do with all that money and all those super-hot girls.  Well, I guess the girls help take care of some of the money, but it's still gotta be a pain in the butt! :-P

In David's bag....

David in FL, what is your problem? Are you mad because you spend so much time playing golf that you win contests based on times played in a year, yet still suck when compared to a PGA pro?  It's nothing to be ashamed of, I am sure if you had all of their social advantages, you would be playing on the tour too, or at least Web.com, no, wait, I am sure you would be winning majors too.

It is just pretty obvious to me that if being short is a career limiting factor in golf, nobody has told RM.

David in FL, what is your problem? Are you mad because you spend so much time playing golf that you win contests based on times played in a year, yet still suck when compared to a PGA pro?  It's nothing to be ashamed of, I am sure if you had all of their social advantages, you would be playing on the tour too, or at least Web.com, no, wait, I am sure you would be winning majors too.

It is just pretty obvious to me that if being short is a career limiting factor in golf, nobody has told RM.

?????

Nope, I'm not on tour because like 99.99999% of us, I'm just not talented enough at this silly game.  Nothing else.

Sorry, I was trying to elicit a chuckle.  Apparently my ability to communicate humor is off today.

In David's bag....

In my case, it might be taking up golf for the first time at the advanced age of pushing 60, but just think of what RM could have accomplished if he had only been taller!

I'm not that positive that if RM was taller if he could be "better". Two eagles on a major course in one round is enough for me to say that height doesn't matter in golf. It's only talent. Plus, I have also seen enough 5'7" golfers drive over 300 yards. They are more athletic when they swing, but their more compact bodies also allow them to be more so BTW, I did get some chuckles from what @David in FL stated. He was not trying to be insulting. I think he referring to the odds of anyone making the PGA regardless of height. ;-).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!