IGNORED

Kaymer takes 'unplayable' and tidies up drop zone

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just did not seem correct to me when i read in the NYT Sports Section just that scenerio.

"Instead, Kaymer wisely chose to declare his ball unplayable, which allowed him to move it two club lengths, to a better spot, with a penalty stroke added.

Kaymer was also allowed to bend over and scoop up large chunks of pine straw needles, throwing them backward as if he were tidying up the landscaping in his front lawn. The result was a more favorable spot to drop his ball, and although he still had to avoid tree trunks and low-lying branches in his path to the fairway, Kaymer was far from rattled."

Cleaning up the drop zone versus improving the lie: what's the diff?

Just did not seem correct to me when i read in the NYT Sports Section just that scenerio.

"Instead, Kaymer wisely chose to declare his ball unplayable, which allowed him to move it two club lengths, to a better spot, with a penalty stroke added.

Kaymer was also allowed to bend over and scoop up large chunks of pine straw needles, throwing them backward as if he were tidying up the landscaping in his front lawn. The result was a more favorable spot to drop his ball, and although he still had to avoid tree trunks and low-lying branches in his path to the fairway, Kaymer was far from rattled."

23-1/6 - Removal of Loose Impediments from Area in Which Ball to Be Dropped

Q. Through the green, is it permissible for a player to remove loose impediments from the area in which he is preparing to drop his ball?

A. Yes.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Improving the lie means you change the lie when the ball is already on the ground. Cleaning a drop area is fine.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All he is allowed to do is remove loose impediments from the area where he intends to drop.  He can't smooth the ground or rearrange anything growing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

All he is allowed to do is remove loose impediments from the area where he intends to drop.  He can't smooth the ground or rearrange anything growing.

I saw Sergio do this a few years ago at a tournament in the Mid-East.  The course was all waste area.  The ball was on the edge of a small precipice with sand below.  He walked around the sand making up his mind to drop.  When he finally did, the officials let him smooth out the area before dropping.

I brought it up in this Rules forum and below was the discussion.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I saw Sergio do this a few years ago at a tournament in the Mid-East.  The course was all waste area.  The ball was on the edge of a small precipice with sand below.  He walked around the sand making up his mind to drop.  When he finally did, the officials let him smooth out the area before dropping.

I brought it up in this Rules forum and below was the discussion.

And I still feel that it's contrary to the intent of the rule.  I'm really surprised that the wording hasn't been added to include the area where the ball might roll into as being part of the prohibition against improving ones lie.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Loose impediments are not considered part of the lie.

There are no limitations to the removal of loose impediments through the green.  It's a penalty if your ball moves during their removal.  Also, you can not move a LI to purposely influence the movement of the ball, or alter physical conditions while the ball is moving. Rule 1-2.     When you are going to place or drop a ball, this is not a problem.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

John

Was a smart move by Kaymer and shows the benefits of knowing the rules.  If he had been forced or tried to hit the ball where it had come to rest after his drive, he would have ended up with at least double bogey on the hole.

Joe Paradiso

Loose impediments are not considered part of the lie.

There are no limitations to the removal of loose impediments through the green.  It's a penalty if your ball moves during their removal.  Also, you can not move a LI to purposely influence the movement of the ball, or alter physical conditions while the ball is moving. Rule 1-2.     When you are going to place or drop a ball, this is not a problem.

That is a good point and one that underscores how understanding the principles behind the rules can explain why the rules/decisions are what they are, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!