IGNORED

Swinging well scoring bad!

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello to all. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem I have been having of late, namely I'm working with an instructor having lessons but my scores are going up! Been playing seriously for around 3years now with some breaks here and there, started having some lessons last year and this year to hopefully improve my game. Been told in the past I have a nice easy swing but wasn't happy with my distance so sought the help of a professional. After having some lessons I would say I had made a slight Iimprovement, but then recently I've been going backwards when it comes to scoring. I've been losing balls, going out of bounds and missing or over shooting greens constantly. Its been very frustrating as when I'm on the range the swing is working well. Just wanted to know from more experienced golfers if this is normal for someone taking lessons. Am I concentrating too much on the swing and not on the game/course management side of things. All advice welcome.

Hello to all.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem I have been having of late, namely I'm working with an instructor having lessons but my scores are going up! Been playing seriously for around 3years now with some breaks here and there, started having some lessons last year and this year to hopefully improve my game. Been told in the past I have a nice easy swing but wasn't happy with my distance so sought the help of a professional. After having some lessons I would say I had made a slight Iimprovement, but then recently I've been going backwards when it comes to scoring. I've been losing balls, going out of bounds and missing or over shooting greens constantly. Its been very frustrating as when I'm on the range the swing is working well. Just wanted to know from more experienced golfers if this is normal for someone taking lessons. Am I concentrating too much on the swing and not on the game/course management side of things. All advice welcome.

This must be very frustrating.  I think you need to have a good discussion with the instructor you are seeing to understand the changes you are currently making.

Naturally when we are swinging we make compensations.. some people make big compensations to even hit the ball and some make very compensations and it all depends on how bad of a swing flaw we have.  Once we start actively working on fixing the swing flaw we find that we are not able to make that same compensation, either because it was a timing one, or it is not even needed (another one is) until you are able to do something called finding the ball again.

The most important thing is that you stick to the changing of your swing, even if your game goes down the tubes, because if you didn't really need to change I don't think you would have sought out the instructor correct?

I would also recommend you take a look at the below threads for understanding on how you should practice, and what are some of the commonalities between all good golf players!

You could always post your swing in the my swing thread and maybe some of the golf people here will give you some good advice on where you need to improve!  Good Luck and welcome to the site!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had the same issue. Started taking lessons this year and really really love where my swing is heading but, having said that, it doesn't always seem to carry over to the course/scorecard. The worst is when I schedule a round the day after a lesson, just too many swing thoughts going on. I've shot my personal best this year but have also had some of the most horrific rounds as well which can be maddening. Hardest thing, for me at least, is having confidence just swinging with the "new" swing while I'm playing. On the range, it's easy to stick with what I'm learning since there are no real consequences but it's just as easy to fall back into old bad swing habits when I'm actually playing. I know its going to take time and a lot of practice for the new swing to become second nature but I really like what I see when it's working for me so I'm just going to bite the bullet and accept the fact that I'm going to have some real clunkers for rounds every now and again. Good luck!

When you practice, pick a particular thing you want to get down so it becomes habit. Then move on to the next thing. Check out the 5SK vids. Plus there are lots of others. I think the most fundamental thing is striking the ball and taking your divot after the strike. Ask yourself, from the top of the backswing, "how do I get into the hitting position". Work on this in slow motion. Understand what you have to do, then try to do it. Easier said than done. :) Look at Hogan's swing below. What do you have to do to get that done. Unless you're crippled, you can do that. Just practicing with full swings doesn't get it done sometimes. I'm helping my son-in-law. In the past year he's gone from 120s to hitting in the 80s. Still loses a few drives to the right. I'm trying to get hime to realize thaqt for golf there is a swing within the swing. I see someone on the range take one swing and I can tell if they are a very good golfer. Most start their writst release as soon as they start their downswing. There are some nice full swings, bur they are really swinging with their shoulders, kind of like a baseball swing. The downswing starts with the arm and shoulders, but when your hands get to your legs (wrists still cocked), then you release your wrists and "whoosh". That's where golf happens. Someone else on the forum posted this video of Ben Hogan. Watch what he does at the end to generate all his speed. What a beautiful swing. Wish I could have seen him live in his prime. Hope this is the right video. Youtube is blocked at my work. Can only see them from home. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmPuzgBXEM[/video]

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Thank you all for the replies. I played yesterday and shot a 93 on a par 66 (off yellow tees) which I was happy with considering how hot it was and how busy the course was. A common theme of late seems to be me thinking about my swing whilst playing. I made a conscious or unconscious effort to stop thinking about my swing as I played, this seemed to help loads. I also came to the conclusion that having a great looking swing which can consistently deliver is only half the battle me for at the moment and my short game, putting and driving all need lots of work, that being said some of the points you have raised have been very helpful thank you for taking the time to reply. Swing easy

My coach will tell me to hit 500-1,000 balls before I play next.  It takes awhile for it to become muscle memory.  You want to get to the point where it feels more natural and you can trust it on the course.

That being said... If it's sunny in Seattle, I have to take advantage of it and play the next day if I can!  ha!

The key to taking lessons (from a coach you trust) is that you might get a little worse before it gets better.  If you're new swing feels uncomfortable and weird... you are probably doing it right!

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!