IGNORED

Wear sunscreen people!!!!

Crim
Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My skin is very sun-sensitive, so I cover up with long sleeves, long pants, and big-brimmed hats. I don't want to rely on sunscreen.

The Solumbra company out of Seattle sells very good sun protection clothing. I wore one of their long-sleeved cover-ups when hiking across the Grand Canyon, twice, in full, high-altitude sun, and was completely protected.

• Upvote 1

I was happy to see Lucy Li's heavy dose of sun screen - wonder if they put any on her arms/shoulders as well?  Not sure if she was protecting against cancer or some sort of cultural thing (some Asians don't like the tanned look - social, cultural thing).

I hate starting posts with "As a Black Man" But here goes

My wife (who is white by the way and works as an Oncology nurse) makes me wear sun screen but I thank her for it. I always thought my skin had some sort of "built in UV protection" but she told me that was BS. So yes I carry sunscreen in the bag and use it regularly. It's always fun when I run out to go buy some, I get a confused look here and there. We all need UV protection!

Lmao! I use to share that same mentality, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't wanna take any chances with my health. Period. I wear that joint once I plan to tee it up...

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

As an olive-skinned Italian-American I use to feel a little burn, but never anything like my Irish or German firends.  I never wore sunscreen and just allowed my olive skin to ripen to a deep brown and wore plenty of light colors to contrast my complexion well - a deep tan was in.  6 years ago I had a small growth on my upper lip and humored my lily white Irish wife and went to a dermatologist.  Basil Cell Carcinoma followed by surgery on my lip about 5 weeks before my daughter's wedding.  Even since then I wear SPF 50 on my exposed areas and have not had a problem since, but most of the damage was likely done in my teens and 20's.

Heed the advice on this thread and wear sunscreen regardless of your complexion.  My burn is not as obvious as my fair-skinned friends and my skin can take more sun than some others without me looking like a pink-red fire engine, but repeated and permanent damage does get done.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpatbee View Post

Even since then I wear SPF 50 on my exposed areas and have not had a problem since, but most of the damage was likely done in my teens and 20's.

Heed the advice on this thread and wear sunscreen regardless of your complexion.  My burn is not as obvious as my fair-skinned friends and my skin can take more sun than some others without me looking like a pink-red fire engine, but repeated and permanent damage does get done.

Actually SPF 50 is almost no gain over SPF30.  If you are paying more for the extra protection you are getting ripped off.  This quote kills that myth :

Quote:
Many people mistakenly think that a sunscreen with an SPF 45 rating would give three times as much protection as one with an SPF of 15. This is not true. SPF 15 sunscreens filter out about 93% of UVB rays, while SPF 30 sunscreens filter out about 97%, SPF 50 sunscreens filter 98%, and SPF 100 filter 99%. The higher you go, the smaller the difference becomes. No sunscreen protects you completely.

My wife was told by her oncologist (she is a melanoma survivor) that SPF 30 was quite sufficient protection, along with using good sense about exposure.  Anything more than that is just giving a false sense of security.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Great thread.  Wear sun screen.  At not just on the golf course.  Walking the dog.  Mowing the lawn.  Probably preaching to the choir.  Or maybe, to mix up the metaphors, I'm just joining the chorus.

About hats.  Ditch the gimme caps and buy a hat with a brim all the way around.  A 3 inch brim is good.  I go to a dermatologist who is kind of a character, and he says baseball caps should come with the same cancer warning that packs of cigarettes have to carry.  I think that's a little extreme, and I've got my fair share of caps, but I try to wear a real hat when I'm going to be out all day.

Ditch the gimme caps and buy a hat with a brim all the way around.  A 3 inch brim is good.

This was one of my very first times out at the range (notice the hiking boots), I still use that hat when the sun is really beating down. It's amazing.

It's from Coolibar, rated UPF 50+

They have some nice golf sun hats to choose from

http://www.coolibar.com/thumbnail/Sun-Hats/Mens/Golf/pc/2222/c/2272/2228.uts

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Lmao! I use to share that same mentality, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't wanna take any chances with my health. Period. I wear that joint once I plan to tee it up...

Yeah Im with you, why take chances? My wife had to give me a sun screen crash course because that was the LAST thing I ever thought I'd need to buy for myself LOL

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Actually SPF 50 is almost no gain over SPF30.  If you are paying more for the extra protection you are getting ripped off.  This quote kills that myth:

My wife was told by her oncologist (she is a melanoma survivor) that SPF 30 was quite sufficient protection, along with using good sense about exposure.  Anything more than that is just giving a false sense of security.

I was also under the impression (though possibly incorrect) that the higher the SPF the longer you were protected.  The effect of the lotion fades over time so a SPF 70 would over time would be reduced to an SPF 30 and then eventually no protection.

Joe Paradiso

I was also under the impression (though possibly incorrect) that the higher the SPF the longer you were protected.  The effect of the lotion fades over time so a SPF 70 would over time would be reduced to an SPF 30 and then eventually no protection.

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/sun/high-spf-sunscreens-are-they-better

Yep, it is the measure of time it will prevent sunburns. It also has no bearing on protection against UVA rays, it is a measure against UVB.

So the best thing, reapply sunscreen!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I put on some the other day in Michigan even though it was spitting rain all day (which is why there is no VLOG of my round BTW). Everyone thought I was crazy, but you never know when the clouds will break up and UV rays come blasting through.

- Shane

I put on some the other day in Michigan even though it was spitting rain all day (which is why there is no VLOG of my round BTW). Everyone thought I was crazy, but you never know when the clouds will break up and UV rays come blasting through.

Actually it doesn't matter, the sun can still damage your skin on even cloudy days.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Yeah Im with you, why take chances? My wife had to give me a sun screen crash course because that was the LAST thing I ever thought I'd need to buy for myself LOL

:-D I didn't buy it for myself either, the ones I have are gifts from someone much smarter than I am.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent article on pgatour.com

"Once dubbed one of the world’s sexiest men by People magazine, Adam Scott looked a bit more garish after a procedure in 2011 to remove a Basil Cell Carcinoma, a form of non-melanoma skin cancer, from his face."

Full article here.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/06/18/rory-sabbatini-adam-scott-skin-cancer.html

http://www.realfarmacy.com/scientists-blow-the-lid-on-cancer-sunscreen-myth/

It seems that it might actually be better to go with out sunscreen!!!

Also it seems that using Sunscreen can reduce the Vit D production due to the blocking of UVB rays. Which can promote other diseases.

Also a doctor who is one of the leading authorities on skin cancer says that the link between sun exposure and melanoma is not proven.

There is also studies showing that Sunscreen itself is toxic, and have cancer promoting agents.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

http://www.realfarmacy.com/scientists-blow-the-lid-on-cancer-sunscreen-myth/

It seems that it might actually be better to go with out sunscreen!!!

Also it seems that using Sunscreen can reduce the Vit D production due to the blocking of UVB rays. Which can promote other diseases.

Also a doctor who is one of the leading authorities on skin cancer says that the link between sun exposure and melanoma is not proven.

There is also studies showing that Sunscreen itself is toxic, and have cancer promoting agents.

Always interesting to read up on new science, but I use sunscreen mostly to avoid being burnt badly every time I go out. It is well known that wearing sunscreen prohibits vitamin D production. That many sunscreen brands has toxic or allergy promoting agents is also known. I always check the sunscreen health tests before buying a sunscreen and avoid those with unfortunate agents. Not the best article I've seen though.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

[URL=http://www.realfarmacy.com/scientists-blow-the-lid-on-cancer-sunscreen-myth/]http://www.realfarmacy.com/scientists-blow-the-lid-on-cancer-sunscreen-myth/[/URL] It seems that it might actually be better to go with out sunscreen!!!  Also it seems that using Sunscreen can reduce the Vit D production due to the blocking of UVB rays. Which can promote other diseases.  Also a doctor who is one of the leading authorities on skin cancer says that the link between sun exposure and melanoma is not proven.  There is also studies showing that Sunscreen itself is toxic, and have cancer promoting agents.

That's a pretty shoddy article. It's no secret that some sunscreens have chemicals that aren't great for you. You can find some that minimize or eliminate that risk. That 2000 Swedish study that is linked to, the median SPF tested as 6. The article fails to mention that. At 6 SPF, I'd actually expect people to have higher rates of sun exposure. People are still putting on sunscreen, so they feel protected, but something like that is going to wear off very quickly. They're not going to reapply it as often as they should, and they're going to overrate its effectiveness. At least the people not wearing sunscreen know they're getting burned. As for vitamin D, there are ways to be smart about getting it. You can get a day's worth in about 15 minutes of sunlight. You can also get it through diet, though obviously it depends what kind of food you're eating.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I put on bug spray but have never really used sunscreen.

My girlfriend pretty much puts it on me when we're going to be out in the sun for a while because she knows I won't even think about doing it.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!