IGNORED

Walkers: Do you carry your bag or do you use a push cart?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Walkers: Do you carry your bag or do you use a push cart?

• Carry my bag
    • Use a push cart

I haven't carried my clubs for a round of golf since my early 20's. I decided to stop carrying them then because I pulled something in my back and couldn't walk without pain for a day or two. I bought a 2 wheeled pull cart after that and have used it since then.

I'm hoping I lose it in a water hazard or a wheel falls off or it breaks and isn't fixable because I'm liking the looks of the 3 wheeled carts but my wife won't let me get a new one unless the one I have dies.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

I haven't carried my clubs for a round of golf since my early 20's. I decided to stop carrying them then because I pulled something in my back and couldn't walk without pain for a day or two. I bought a 2 wheeled pull cart after that and have used it since then. I'm hoping I lose it in a water hazard or a wheel falls off or it breaks and isn't fixable because I'm liking the looks of the 3 wheeled carts but my wife won't let me get a new one unless the one I have dies.

The three wheeled carts are the ish. Why not just "accidentally" forget your cart behind the car and back over it?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't carried my clubs for a round of golf since my early 20's. I decided to stop carrying them then because I pulled something in my back and couldn't walk without pain for a day or two. I bought a 2 wheeled pull cart after that and have used it since then.

I'm hoping I lose it in a water hazard or a wheel falls off or it breaks and isn't fixable because I'm liking the looks of the 3 wheeled carts but my wife won't let me get a new one unless the one I have dies.

Hahaha that's how I felt about the 2 wheeled pull cart that I used to use very seldom

I'd like to say I've considered that but don't want to risk damaging my car but that would be a lie. I think I'll just save up some $$ and buy one and leave the 2 wheeled cart for my son to use when and if he ever starts to play.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

I'd like to say I've considered that but don't want to risk damaging my car but that would be a lie. I think I'll just save up some $$ and buy one and leave the 2 wheeled cart for my son to use when and if he ever starts to play.

Check out Craigslist or eBay, there's lots of deals out there.

Colin P.

• 4 months later...

I frequently like to walk when I golf, and I have been carrying my bag a long time.  It's a five-pound bag, it doesn't seem particularly heavy when it's loaded, but I must confess this 61-yo can be pretty tired by the last few holes.  I also have some arthritis in my hip and I can pay a price afterwards.  For people with carts, do you notice a lot of difference from carrying the bag?

I just bought a push cart last fall, 4-wheeler. Makes all the difference in the world. Highly recommend.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm 62 and have a knee issue, so I can relate. They have them to rent at my club. Tried it once and it was awkward, especially up hills and around the greens. Gotta walk way around to get to the other side of a green while, when I carry, I can just walk straight across to the other side to leave my bag near the next tee.

Much easier to carry, IMO.

Bill M

I'm over 60, too. When I carry, I usually cut down on the number of clubs and use the lightest stand bag possible. On other days, I will use a 2 or 3 wheel cart. The 2 wheel cart is more agile (you can push or pull it), and the 3 wheel push cart handles a bigger bag with more clubs better than the 2-wheel cart. I would suggest getting a 2 wheel cart first, since they are far less expensive than a 3 or 4 wheel model. You can always get a 3 or 4 wheel cart later. Why not have all 3 options?

"Older Golfers With Push Carts Rule !!!"  That's my motto.  Carts just make walking golf easier. I was once having a chat with Jim Furyk, and ask him about the use of caddies. He told me that with out the use of a caddy, pro golfers would be out of energy by the 10th hole. My push cart is my caddy.

My bag weighs about 25 lbs, sometimes more. I'd never be able to carry it for 18 holes. If golfer is not riding in a golf cart, they need a push/pull cart. It saves on fatigue, and fatigue will hurt a golfer's score.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm 28, fit and healthy, but I still use a push-cart. Not because I can't carry, but because it helps my game and it means I can play more golf. I've been playing golf for over 10 years and bought my first cart a couple of years ago. I've got a lot of rounds of carrying behind me and never had any problems with it. I preferred carrying, since it meant I could walk freely all over the course with my bag.

My body is a lot better on the back nine and after a round if I'm pushing instead of carrying. This means that my swing isn't as affected by the walking compared to if I'd carried. I also like to fill the bag with balls, tees, clothing, water and stuff. If I'm pushing, the added weight doesn't matter much.

The main reason I bought it was so I could play more golf. Seasons are short here and I want to get in as much golf as possible. If I push, I'm more likely to play multiple days in a row. Once I got the cart, I also noticed how much difference it made to my fatigue during the round. I feel less worn out and more ready to play golf towards the end of back nine.

I would recommend that you play a round or even multiple rounds with a push-cart or pull-cart and see how it feels. It is an investement, especially if you get one of the higher end carts, and it would be better if you were able to experience the difference yourself before making the investement. Your local course may have rental carts, maybe you got friends that can lend you one for a few rounds.

I can only speak for myself, but I noticed the difference from the first round I played with a cart, so you probably won't have to play weeks of golf to see how it works for you. Although it could also have a more of a long-term effect on your shape.

TL;DR: Try it with rental or borrowed carts a few rounds.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I just bought a push cart last fall, 4-wheeler. Makes all the difference in the world. Highly recommend.

I use my son's cart for my morning rounds. The Bag Boy Quad is great, because it packs up really small.

I'm 62 and have a knee issue, so I can relate. They have them to rent at my club. Tried it once and it was awkward, especially up hills and around the greens. Gotta walk way around to get to the other side of a green while, when I carry, I can just walk straight across to the other side to leave my bag near the next tee.

I only carry on 9 hole courses. 18 holes is a pain to carry. Plus, I need to take the bag on and off every shot. That seems like more work than just pulling out a club. I also feel more relaxed when making my shot when I push.

However, I do like the feeling of freedom while carrying.

I'm over 60, too. When I carry, I usually cut down on the number of clubs and use the lightest stand bag possible. On other days, I will use a 2 or 3 wheel cart. The 2 wheel cart is more agile (you can push or pull it), and the 3 wheel push cart handles a bigger bag with more clubs better than the 2-wheel cart. I would suggest getting a 2 wheel cart first, since they are far less expensive than a 3 or 4 wheel model. You can always get a 3 or 4 wheel cart later. Why not have all 3 options?

Good idea. I should at least take out all the junk I lug around. Probably don't need 2 dozen golf balls either. :-X

"Older Golfers With Push Carts Rule !!!"  That's my motto.  Carts just make walking golf easier. I was once having a chat with Jim Furyk, and ask him about the use of caddies. He told me that with out the use of a caddy, pro golfers would be out of energy by the 10th hole. My push cart is my caddy.

My bag weighs about 25 lbs, sometimes more. I'd never be able to carry it for 18 holes. If golfer is not riding in a golf cart, they need a push/pull cart. It saves on fatigue, and fatigue will hurt a golfer's score.

Yeah, push carts are pretty good.

25 pounds is pretty light. Mine is a lot heavier than that. I probably carry too many things. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I use a push cart every round I walk, the difference in fatigue vs carrying is really noticeable. I

am 30 yo and play soccer competitively, I guess you could say I'm in "above average fitness shape" and  carrying still takes a lot out of me phisically. The benefits of the added rest from pushing and not carrying my bag, both during and after the round are inmense.

I use a SM Micro Cart and consider it one of the best golf purchases I ever made.

I like to carry, cuts a few yards off the total walk and allows me to feel a little closer to my game.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

My home course doesn't allow pushcarts but when I play other courses and walk I prefer pushcarts.   Just easier to push, leaves one hand free to hold a bottle of water or cell phone.  I also don't like stand bags so I prefer the push carts so my bag doesn't get wet from the ground.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Originally Posted by Lihu

I only carry on 9 hole courses. 18 holes is a pain to carry. Plus, I need to take the bag on and off every shot. That seems like more work than just pulling out a club. I also feel more relaxed when making my shot when I push.

However, I do like the feeling of freedom while carrying.

Yeah, carrying for a full 18 is tough, especially early in the season when I don't have my legs. It gets easier as the season wears on. But we can't always carry at our club, only later in the day and I rarely go 18 when carrying anyway.

Don't you find it to be a pain when you approach a green? At our club, most greens are well bunkered and you have to take the cart all the way around them to get to the other side, which invariably is the best line to the next tee. When carrying. I just walk straight through the green to the other side. And then there are the hills and mounds you need to traverse sometimes to get to your ball.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!