IGNORED

NEW Titleist 915D Driver, First Look

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The more and more I look at the aesthetics of the new 915, I'm definitely going to have to see an improvement over length before committing. I currently play the 909, and I may just move into the 913 depending on the official test results

Staying true to it's release cycle, Titleist will be introducing their new 915 line of drivers. Here's a pic of the 915D2. Haven't gotten any info from Titleist but obviously the design feature that stands out is the slot on the bottom of the sole. It's called "Active Recoil Technology". The overall shape seems similar to their past pear shaped designs as does the black glossy finish.

What do guys think?

Looks really nice, but is this going to be the first driver to cost more than $600?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks really nice, but is this going to be the first driver to cost more than $600?

I don't see why it would be. I'd assume that they'd stay with the typical $399 price tag and then charge extra for shaft upgrades.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I don't see why it would be. I'd assume that they'd stay with the typical $399 price tag and then charge extra for shaft upgrades.

I saw one guess was around $449, but it might be higher?

Looks really cool.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think the 915 is what you expect from Titleist.

Nothing too innovative, but improvements on "newish" technology.

They already make a forgiving driver, and the channel adds additional forgiveness  -- it will increase ball speed and launch where many amateurs hit the ball -- too low on the face.

I suspect it will be slightly lower spinning and higher launch like most new drivers, with the added forgiveness of the channel. An attractive package with very good stock shafts and adjustable hosel system.

The Titleist market will eat it up with good reason.

Does one expect more tech given a two year cycle? Yes.

Does Titleist need to do so? Apparently not.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This thing looks so similar to my Nike driver that it's unsettling... I'm sure there are improvements and such but I could probably paint mine in the same scheme and people wouldn't even notice it wasn't a Titleist haha

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Every time a new driver comes out, my distance is fairly consistent. I was only getting about 7 more yards with the 913 over my current 910 D3, so I could not justify the $400 for 7 yards by any means. The 915 will probably be the same, but I do intend to put them up against one another as soon as possible. It would take something drastic like a consistent and highly noticeable increase to get me to upgrade.

The 913's are about to go on sale maybe it is time to pick up that 7 yards?

The 913's are about to go on sale maybe it is time to pick up that 7 yards?

Eh, mayyybe . I'll have to go demo one over at Golfsmith and see how I feel. I'm not one to usually upgrade clubs when I'm playing well and right now my driving is the best that it has been, ever. I'm really nervous about messing with club changes.

Eh, mayyybe. I'll have to go demo one over at Golfsmith and see how I feel. I'm not one to usually upgrade clubs when I'm playing well and right now my driving is the best that it has been, ever. I'm really nervous about messing with club changes.

I hear you.  I snapped a shaft on a Ping G20 and felt the same way.  I couldn't wait for a repair so I picked up a G25, WOW.  Big difference on center hits and off center hits picked up distance on both.  The question becomes what is 7 yards to you?  In many instances it would be a club.  That would effect scoring over the long haul so definitely worth checking out.  When you revisit it if you don't find the distance holds up I would hold tight for sure.

I saw one guess was around $449, but it might be higher?

Looks really cool.

I am pretty sure the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha was $499 when released so wouldn't be shocked if Titleist took it close to that number since they tend to use better shafts and a pricing precedent already exists.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Does one expect more tech given a two year cycle? Yes.

Like what?

The best driver I've currently got (and use) is the 913d3. What more could they have done? Other drivers aren't exactly doing a ton. The 915 has the hosel, and now the channel. What's it missing?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Like what?

The best driver I've currently got (and use) is the 913d3. What more could they have done? Other drivers aren't exactly doing a ton. The 915 has the hosel, and now the channel. What's it missing?

I have to agree with this. The only real tech advancement is in materials and being able to shift weighting around inside the club head. The COR limit and the 460 cc limit really has bottle up what can be done.

The only reason I went to the SLDR over my 910 D2 is because of the COG location, and how much lower spinning it is. It just out performed the 910D2 and 913 drivers. Though overall I love the look and feel of the Titleist, but not enough to counter the way the SLDR fits my swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Like what?

As I stated, those who like Titleist will say it's enough. It's enough for me to demo it.

The 915 is an attractive driver and in the Titleist tradition, will have more performance enhancements. I don't think Titleist worries about the latest. The point I was making is "Should they be more innovative?" or should they "remain on the path of tried and proven technology" given a two year cycle.

They apparently will remain on the path of tried and proven -- which is their mode. It works, so if you have a two year cycle, why go out on a limb with new tech? It's the conservative approach and one you expect from Titleist. It works for their market.

The latest tech seems to be adjustments for moving the weight lower/higher (Callaway), moving it forward and low (Taylormade) or moving the weight back even more but achieving spin decreases (Ping G30)and I've seen news of adjustments for moving the weight forward, to the middle, and back, more aerodynamics, thinner, and more forgiving, all over the face which they've addressed with the channel. There is cup faced tech, etc. But everything is a balance. Titleist chose a balance with which it is comfortable for the next two years.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

As I stated, those who like Titleist will say it's enough. It's enough for me to demo it.

The point I was making is "Should they be more innovative?" or should they "remain on the path of tried and proven technology" given a two year cycle.

That doesn't really answer the question. You do so later, but this type of text sets anyone who disagrees up as a Titleist fanboy or something. Surely you can see what I mean by that, no?

The point I'm making is "HOW could they be more innovative?" Other companies are not doing anything that's blowing the doors off the driver market. Titleist is a bit more traditional, but… what's TM doing besides naming things "Ballz"? Moveable weight, playing with CG locations, hosels, channels… all things the Titleist driver's done. We aren't even seeing composite drivers (those seem to have come and gone).

The latest tech seems to be adjustments for moving the weight lower/higher (Callaway), moving it forward and low (Taylormade) or moving the weight back even more but achieving spin decreases (Ping G30)and

So in answer to my question, your answer is "moving weight around" which, btw, I'm sure has been done to some level in this driver. It had to, with the change to the shape of the driver.

If you're talking about moving weight manually, yeah, other companies do that, but… people don't actually end up moving weight around. They set their drivers up and they're done.

more aerodynamics, thinner, and more forgiving, all over the face which they've addressed with the channel. There is cup faced tech, etc. But everything is a balance. Titleist chose a balance with which it is comfortable for the next two years.

So your answer to what technology they're not using is basically "user moveable weights"?

If I'm reading you wrong, I'm happy to be corrected. But that's how it seems.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agree.

Fanboy? Did not intend that, but everyone has a market and "TItleist" seems to attract a hardcore group of above average, traditional as to equipment -- golfers. Some people love Titleist, some TM, some Callaway, etc. and will buy upon release just to buy it. The more discerning are attracted to the driver because it performs for them. I think that is true with any major brand.

Yes, I think a lot of driver tech is driven by rigidity, thinner, higher tech faces, aerodynamics , saving weight, moving it around to "optimum" areas, and making some of that weigh usable and adjustable for customization. Yes, they may adjust it once and be done. Some of it may not be useful.

So I'm saying that Titleist is not as flashy as Callaway or TM in terms of the latest and greatest. Does latest and greatest make a performance difference? I think it depends on the golfer.

Ok.

I've been golfing with my 909 for a while now and have never had a reason to change. I'm not very long, but I hit about 270 avg.  and starting to wonder if I can get some length.  Just my opinion, but as much as I like Achusnet, Taylormade has always been the longest driver for me, so I prob should go that way, but TM always looks gimicky even if they are the longest...but the boys at the club are hounding about my 909.  Its the feel, crack and accuracy of the Titleist, even back to the 975D. Love it. Who really cares, why not tee up this new 915 and give it a shot at least. I'm due.

That's the first time I hear that 270 yards is not a long hitter, that's pretty long even for CO. Unless, you're a collegiate player or pro.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!