IGNORED

NEW Titleist 915D Driver, First Look

Note: This thread is 3389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Got a D3, F, and H.d today. Look great! Photos and initial testing tomorrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Amazing Driver.  It's going straight into the bag.  I'm finally letting go of the Driver I have used since late 2008 (909D2)  Time for an upgrade and this could not have been released at better time heading into the Christmas holidays to get it from Santa

Got a D3, F, and H.d today. Look great! Photos and initial testing tomorrow.

They refer to it as "forgiving" in the ads. Is the D3 a titleist that a higher cap can consider or is it still in the realm of the better ballstrikers.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

They refer to it as "forgiving" in the ads. Is the D3 a titleist that a higher cap can consider or is it still in the realm of the better ballstrikers.

The D3 tends to be the smaller, slightly lower spin one. The D2 tends to be the slightly more forgiving model. I'd be surprised if that flip-flopped this year.

Yeah, read the descriptions on the Titleist site: "Hit more fairways with the maximum distance and forgiveness 915D2." Plus they say it results in "more dynamic face closure" or something (i.e. the weight is more in the heel probably). Plus it's 460cc vs. 440cc for D3.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well plan is to go get fitted tomorrow I hope it goes well.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Okay wound up with 9.5* D3 with the Aldila rogue shaft stiff 70 gram. went to the range today and absolutely fell in love the rogue shaft fits me very well and the D3 head is a very strong club, I don't see this combo leaving the bag for a very long time. I did notice on the launch monitor the D2 was about 400 rpm's more spin over the D3 2800 average versus 2400.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Okay wound up with 9.5* D3 with the Aldila rogue shaft stiff 70 gram. went to the range today and absolutely fell in love the rogue shaft fits me very well and the D3 head is a very strong club, I don't see this combo leaving the bag for a very long time. I did notice on the launch monitor the D2 was about 400 rpm's more spin over the D3 2800 average versus 2400.

Nice! Sounds like a great fit. Time to update your signature with your new club! :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nice! Sounds like a great fit.

Time to update your signature with your new club!

Done

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I saw the 915 drivers yesterday, looks great.  This could be the biggest year for the driver, given the new products touting new technology.  I am waiting for a few more to come out and then give them a test.

Joe Paradiso

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have actual data that this 915 is truly any longer than than the previous Titleist driver model? Like with an iron Byron to see if it truly is longer??

In terms of actually ball speed off center hits. No. Since the COR limits drivers are all pretty much identical in ball speed on center hits. You might find one that is slightly higher because USGA doesn't sample every driver out there.

Besides that, what has helped distance is getting closer to optimal launch conditions. 10 years ago it was very popular to hit down on the driver, use a very low degree driver, and get height using backspin. Now you can get much more yardage hitting up, using loft to produce height, and getting lower spin on the golf ball.

Also, you have club fitting which allows players to fine tune those numbers in. Given a few millimeter difference in strike can balloon RPM's by nearly 700-100 and caused up to 10-15 yards loss in distance. In the end it will always be the golfer not the club.

You can add in more forgiving clubs as well. The COR limit is being spread further away from the center. So on average your miss hits go farther as well.

So longer as in ball speed off the center of the face, probably not. On off center hits, and optimizing your launch conditions because the 915 is a lower spinning model and has the active recoil channel that enhances forgiveness, then probably yes.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Does anyone have actual data that this 915 is truly any longer than than the previous Titleist driver model? Like with an iron Byron to see if it truly is longer??

No data but just what I have observed personally when I get a dead center contact strike I don't think I have ever had a more penetrating/towering ball flight than this club produces, the ball just flat out sinks into the club face it feels like and just comes off it like a missle. I have a friend who currently uses a 913 and he recently demoed a 915 and he said he averaged 10 yards longer over his 913, I believe he has his driver set at D1 setting and he instead used the 8.5* in the 915, I think he said his swing speed was somewhere around 110 and he averaged 302 with his old driver and averaged 312 with the 915, longest drive with the 915 was 321.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I tried the 915D3 with the Diamana D 70 gm pearl white shaft.The swing weight felt really good, and the simulated ball flight and distance were also very nice. It is so far the longest and most consistent driver I have ever hit, and it was totally haphazard that I even tried it. Wow, I almost missed this one because I gleaned over it in the past thinking it was too pricey.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Titleist 915 is the best Driver [for me] that I've tested ball striking with in a long time. I pulled the trigger and I'm absolutely hitting it longer than ever. Keep in mind I've been playing a 909D2 since'08.. so I don't upgrade often. After getting on the launch Monitors and getting fitted I was stunned and ordered one immediately. I have been so pleased with it's performance. I went with this setup: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 Fujikura Motore 661 S. My wife was shocked at the price but again, I don't upgrade often so I went for it, and made a perfect choice for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!