IGNORED

2014 Quicken Loans National Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think some guy named Tiger is playing this week..... ;-)

Tiger Woods makes his latest return to competition at this week's Quicken Loans National His foundation is the host and benefiting charity.

http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/2014/06/23/tiger-woods-fedexcup-prospects.html

The most dominant golfer of this era, Tiger Woods returns from a three-month injury layoff this week in an unfamiliar position.

Behind.

Behind in what, you ask? The short answer is everything. Wins, top finishes, Ryder Cup points and virtually every statistical category. Woods' best result in three starts this season is a share of 25th at the WGC-Cadillac Championship. A disappointing season thus far for Woods, who last year won five times including THE PLAYERS Championship and was ranked No. 1 in the FedExCup for much of the season.

One other area where Woods has given significant ground is the FedExCup standings.

With just 43 FedExCup points this season, Woods currently is 269 points out of the top 125 who qualify for The Barclays in late August. If the projections hold true (see table below), Woods will need to accumulate 371 points between now and the Wyndham Championship to earn a spot in the FedExCup Playoffs.

Event (field size)

5-year avg.

2014 Projection

The Barclays (125)

Deutsche Bank (100)

BMW Championship (70)

TOUR Championship (30)

The above projections are based on the increase in points available thanks to the PGA TOUR's wraparound schedule that debuted this season. No matter how the numbers are looked at, Woods still has a chance of pushing all the way into the Playoff picture in the coming weeks.

If Woods picks up with a "normal" schedule, he'll have four great opportunities to earn points starting with this week's Quicken Loans National, which the tournament host has twice won. If he doesn't add any events to his schedule, we should see Woods at the Open Championship and PGA Championship -- two 600-point FedExCup events -- and the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational, arguably Woods' best event and one that awards 550 points to its champion.

Theoretically, Woods could finish solo seventh in each of those four events and earn enough FedExCup points to exceed the projected total of 371 points. A solo seventh in the two majors would earn him 100 points each, a solo seventh at Bridgestone would earn him 95 and a solo seventh this week at Quicken Loans is worth 90. That would total 385 points.

Of course, a win in any one of those events would more than seal his spot in the Playoffs.

Below you'll see Woods' points earned at his projected remaining 2014 stops since the FedExCup went to its current point-distribution format in 2009:

WOODS' FEDEXCUP POINTS EARNED AT REMAINING PROJECTED 2014 SCHEDULE

Quicken Loans

National

Open

Championship

WGC-Bridgestone

Invitational

PGA

Championship

Total

DNP

DNP

DNP

A PGA TOUR Season-closing stretch like ones in 2009, 2012 or 2012 would qualify Woods for the 2014 FedExCup Playoffs.

While the numbers may be against him, the schedule is certainly in Woods' favor. Should he take advantage of his opportunities and climb up into the FedExCup top 125 before The Barclays, Woods could then chase after an unprecedented third FedExCup title.

Woods has qualified for six of the previous seven FedExCup Playoffs, though he did not compete in 2008 because of injury, and is the only two-time FedExCup winner (2007, 2009). In 18 Playoffs starts, Woods has 16 top-25 finishes and three victories, though none since 2009.

No matter if he gets there at No. 1 or No. 30, Woods would be a significant threat to take the FedExCup if he qualifies for the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola. In four starts there in the FedExCup era, Woods has three top-10 showings including a 2007 triumph and a 2009 runner-up finish, both allowing him to wrap up the FedExCup.

For many, like longtime FedExCup leader Jimmy Walker, the 2013-14 season is winding down and the FedExCup chase is becoming the focus. For Woods, with so much to play for in the coming weeks, it's just getting started.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watch it get higher ratings than the US Open.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm guessing Tiger Woods will get preference on when he tees off and who he tees off with (since it's pretty much his tourney). I'd be surprised if he doesn't choose Thursday morning-Friday pm. This gives him extra layoff time in between rounds. I also have a hunch he'll choose to play with Spieth.....maybe Rose, DJ or Day as his other partner.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing Tiger Woods will get preference on when he tees off and who he tees off with (since it's pretty much his tourney). I'd be surprised if he doesn't choose Thursday morning-Friday pm. This gives him extra layoff time in between rounds. I also have a hunch he'll choose to play with Spieth.....maybe Rose, DJ or Day as his other partner.

Thursday morning with Day & Spieth

Riley

Wow, good call.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• Administrator

http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/tournaments/quicken-loans-national/leaderboard.html

8:12 am Thursday, off #10, with Jason Day and Jordan Spieth.

That didn't take any prognostication - you could have just looked it up (hours ago if you wanted)…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
As I expected.

Color me doubtful… The tee times were available hours before you posted.

Plus he was going to have an afternoon tee time (for TV coverage) one of the days. The PGA Tour groups players by some "levels" and Tiger's had similar tee times and groupings for nearly two decades now (since 1997…).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Color me doubtful… The tee times were available hours before you posted.

Plus he was going to have an afternoon tee time (for TV coverage) one of the days. The PGA Tour groups players by some "levels" and Tiger's had similar tee times and groupings for nearly two decades now (since 1997…).

It's Tiger's tournament. He's going to get his choice of tee time and choice of who he plays with. If you don't think he has an influence in that, then I have a bridge to sell you. I had no idea the groupings ahead of time (but you can doubt it if you want), but it was pretty easy to guess the times and at least one of the partners. Even CBS in their telecast last week said Tiger would likely pair himself with Jordan.

• Administrator

Looking forward to watching. Though I'll be gone Sunday in Pittsburgh for my kiddo's U.S. Kid's Golf tournament.

OT stuff, for the most part:

It's Tiger's tournament. He's going to get his choice of tee time and choice of who he plays with.

And all I've said about that is that his tee time and playing partners are not significantly different than what you'd expect given his status (and the status of his playing partners). I've primarily commented on your Carnac impression… that simply required a browser and an Internet connection.

If you don't think he has an influence in that, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Not buying a bridge, and not buying that you "guessed" at something that you could have looked up hours before.

The PGA Tour uses a computer to build tee times, and makes some adjustments based on TV times, etc. Could Tiger have said "put me with these guys early/late"? Sure. Did you make an accurate prediction? No. It was published hours before your prognostication.

I had no idea the groupings ahead of time (but you can doubt it if you want)

Of course I doubt it. The tee times were published hours ahead of your "guess."

Even CBS in their telecast last week said Tiger would likely pair himself with Jordan.

I haven't said anything about that. Of course sponsors have the ability to tweak some groupings.

I'm just hoping for "solid" from Tigs. And that he doesn't reinjure himself...

Ditto..

I genuinely hope he doesn't re-injure himself. :beer:

But, I'd sure like to see him play like a goober. :-D

Not likely to happen though.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

yo mamma is a goober....

In spite of my best efforts, my mama likes Tiger.  She's 80 though, so I blame it on dementia..... :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!