IGNORED

Stag Golf - Help with Format?

mattyj3nks
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Morning all, I have organised a golf weekend next month for my brothers stag do at 2 courses none of us have played at before. I am just abit stuck on how i can score to make it fun for everyone as only 1 person has an official handicap. There are 8 of us..... 1 person has a handicap of 15 as is a member of a club 4 players shoot in the 90s 2 players shoot roughly 110 1 lad hasn't picked up a club in a few years. I am just wanting to find a scoring system so that each player can just mark their scorecards with their strokes and then after each round we can have a leaderboard and then a final leaderboard after the 2 days to make it abit more competitive but still fun. We will add in the usual closest pin and longest drive each day. Not sure what other games we could add in. I would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions from anyone on here. Thanks Matt

Welcome to the forum @mattyj3nks

You could do a Stableford scoring system that assigns a number for eagle, birdie, par, bogey, etc.  For each player, you assign a handicap per hole against the best player.  So the 110 player may get strokes on each hole compared to the best player.  This evens it out and you don't focus on the total number of strokes.

You can also have fun with closest to the pin, farthest from the pin, best drive, worst drive etc.  If a player does not make it past the forward tee on a drive, they have to wear a silly hat or something.

Lastly, my league has an "open the bar" on par 3s.  To open the bar, one of the group must land on the green.  Whoever is closest to the pin is the lead.  This leader must make par.  If he does, then the player who was furthest from the pin has to buy a round.  If the leader does not make par, He has to buy the round.

Have fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have seen there is a one day handicap scoring system called 'System 36' where the handicap is created after the round is completed based on how the player did. The player would be awarded:- Double bogey or worse - 0 points Bogey - 1 point Par or better - 2 points Their total point from 18 holes will then be deducted from 36 to give them their handicap for the day. That handicap can then be deducted from their gross score to give the nett score. Surely that would make the stroke play scores closer for day 1 of the weekend?? Then that same handicap could be used on Day 2 to play a stableford competition using the full handicaps..... Honest theoughts on that??

I think the less experienced players may get intimidated by that.  The true idea of handicap is about a players "potential" and not what they do on a given day.  A high handicap can have great days and really bad days, where the mid cap like me, will generally shoot between 80 and 90 consistently.

The best things about Stableford for a high handicap is they know they get a stroke, or sometimes 2, on a hole, so the pressure is off to par the hole.  It evens out the whole group dynamic and will make it fun.

Adding other games during the round lightens the mood too.  I know my friends are very competitive.  The open the bar game is fun.  You could make it a prize instead.

You could also do games like wolf where it changes every hole based on who played the last hole best.  But if it is a Stag party, I'm not sure their minds will be working that well after a few on course beverages.

http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_wolf.htm

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Boogie, So would you suggest just playing Stableford for both the 2 days? I have no idea what handicap i would give each player though, thats why i was thinking of using the 'System 36' to work out each persons individual handicap and thats what they use for the 2 days. Ive never done something like that as i usually just play golf with my brother and dad.

What we do when there is a mix of golfers many of who have 20+ handicaps is play a best ball matchplay.

Split into two teams of four with roughly same overall ability, and then send them out in pairs playing best ball (Texas scramble style) matchplay against a two from the other team. Play matchplay all the way to 18 and then sum the two teams up.

The best ball means that the weaker golfers shouldn't feel too intimidated by struggling along and you get some good banter in the team and matchplay aspects.

Hi, My name is Matt.

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!