IGNORED

2 people show up for a scramble so they both hit 2 shots everytime. Low handicaps. Unfair?

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 3587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I remember playing in a scramble and the team in front of us only had 3 players so the good golfer was hitting 2 shots every time. I remember being so pissed. One of my co workers came in today and said he and his friend showed up for a scramble yesterday and were -16 they hit 2 shots every time. They are both low handicaps. I said, "If i was another team I'd be pissed"! I don't see how they could ever be allowed.

3 people in a 4 man scramble should have ROTATED the extra shot between them on each hole. We've had to do that occasionally. The twosome should have been told to play best ball only. OR told they would be ineligible for any prizes if they: 1- couldn't find at least another player, 2- played 2 balls each. I agree- blatantly unfair to the other participants. I won't call them "competitors" because it isn't a recognized format. Bad sporting form, there.

Very unfair.  Especially on putts.  I think two guys hitting two shots each would have a HUGE advantage over four guys hitting one shot each.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 3some should be rotating for sure.  I'd be pissed too, but then again I refuse to play these events.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

• Administrator
I remember playing in a scramble and the team in front of us only had 3 players so the good golfer was hitting 2 shots every time. I remember being so pissed. One of my co workers came in today and said he and his friend showed up for a scramble yesterday and were -16 they hit 2 shots every time. They are both low handicaps. I said, "If i was another team I'd be pissed"! I don't see how they could ever be allowed.

I get your point, but at the same time… what if there was a team of four low handicappers?

I long ago gave up on the idea that anyone actually deserves to get upset about a SCRAMBLE. If you can't just have fun playing something resembling golf with buddies, don't play. If you think it's an actual "competition," don't play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I get your point, but at the same time… what if there was a team of four low handicappers?

I long ago gave up on the idea that anyone actually deserves to get upset about a SCRAMBLE. If you can't just have fun playing something resembling golf with buddies, don't play. If you think it's an actual "competition," don't play.

I think it goes with the old saying, "the second golfer is always the best golfer", I know we have all absolutely blown a shot, reloaded and then hit a perfect shot.  So if you would give a good golfer, two chances to hit every shot, I think it would be unfair.

But I completely agree with not getting upset about a scramble, I like playing them from time to time, it's a fun day with friends playing something resembling golf.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

It's a scramble.

Nothing about it's fair to begin with, but yeah, that gives that team an advantage.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think it goes with the old saying, "the second golfer is always the best golfer", I know we have all absolutely blown a shot, reloaded and then hit a perfect shot.  So if you would give a good golfer, two chances to hit every shot, I think it would be unfair.

But I completely agree with not getting upset about a scramble, I like playing them from time to time, it's a fun day with friends playing something resembling golf.

The one outing I like is a shamble, which is take the best drive, play then everyone plays in from there and you can take the best two or three scores. In that outing they pay out 1st, 10th, and 20th place with prizes. I think this is a great way to make sure that everyone is involved in winning, not just those who decide to put down a good score.

The other outing I play in, is a small one. Only about 9-12 groups play each year. The guy who runs it, sets up the teams with A, B, C, D players. The winning score on 4 out of the last 6 years have been -6 or -7. It is consistent each year, and makes it really fun because the people who play in this outing are out to compete fairly.

Yea, if it is a big outing, I assume a small handful of teams will cheat, and I am just out there to have fun with my friends or family.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Tournament organizers should have assigned one other player to that group, if for no other reason than to keep the other two honest. Some of my golf buddies, for events where we can't get four, will show up with one or two and get paired with other singles or twosomes to form a complete team.

I assume you're talking about the fairness of two good players each getting two attempts at each shot rather than questioning their honesty. I play in many scrambles in which teams of average golfers turn in scores in the mid-50s, which raise some eyebrows at the scoring table. There's an annual 36-hole scramble tournament in Tampa each year called Birdie Barrage. A few years ago, when teams started turning in 18-hole scores in the high 40s, organizers began hiring junior golfers and others with a basic knowledge of golf to stand behind each green, watch the group putt, then record scores for each group to later compare to that group's card. Not surprisingly, winning scores for 36 holes were 20 to 25 under instead of 35 to 40 under.

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

It's a scramble.

Nothing about it's fair to begin with, but yeah, that gives that team an advantage.......

I don't know ... seems like the only way I'd call it an advantage is if they actually had rules for the makeup of the teams.  For example, my father in laws club has one every Tuesday afternoon and each team includes a good, ok, blah, and sucky player.  If you had a two man team of just a good and ok player each hitting two shots, then, yeah, they've got a huge advantage.

But if it's just a typical charity event where there are no guidelines to follow regarding the makeup of the teams, then I don't think 2 has any inherent advantage over 4.  Two 20 handicappers can hit 10 shots each and they still are going to get their asses handed to them by a foursome of scratch golfers each hitting one.

Sort of unrelated ... but my reassociation with golf a few years ago (October 2011), came in a 4-man charity scramble on a two man team.  My office was getting together a bunch of guys and they dragged me out there (I had "retired" from golf because of a bad back) because they knew I played.  There ended up being 6 of us total, so I paired up with the least adept of the other 5, and we ended up playing as a twosome.  Not until several days after the tournament did it dawn on me that we probably should have played a couple of shots each to make it fair for us.  Didn't matter, we (I) beat the foursome from our office, so that was all that really mattered ... those bragging rights. :beer:

But if it's just a typical charity event where there are no guidelines to follow regarding the makeup of the teams, then I don't think 2 has any inherent advantage over 4.  Two 20 handicappers can hit 10 shots each and they still are going to get their asses handed to them by a foursome of scratch golfers each hitting one.

How about 2 scratch golfers hitting 2 shots each against 4 scratch golfers hitting one shot each?

I actually play scramble format all the time when my buddy wants to play with me.  He can hit decent shots, but does not have much consistency.  He enjoys playing the scramble format because he can easily get past his bad shots.

When I get two chances at a short game shot or putt, it makes a huge difference.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

How about 2 scratch golfers hitting 2 shots each against 4 scratch golfers hitting one shot each?

I actually play scramble format all the time when my buddy wants to play with me.  He can hit decent shots, but does not have much consistency.  He enjoys playing the scramble format because he can easily get past his bad shots.

When I get two chances at a short game shot or putt, it makes a huge difference.

I suppose that there would be a slight advantage for the two guys on the putting green.  If I missed my first putt, then I'll know a little better than another guy how much harder or softer I need to hit it.

Going back to the OP, I'm trying to decide what I would do if I was a tournament organizer and was faced with the dilemma of a two man team.  I certainly wouldn't want to have to award them a first place prize while telling 110 other guys that I let them each hit two shots from every spot.  Even though I don't think it's a big advantage, I recognize that others wouldn't agree.  I'm thinking that I might tell them that they could have 3 shots total, alternating the third shot between each of them.  Or I'd allow them a few extra mulligans, or some other random "cheat" that we'd likely be selling everybody.  Or, maybe I'd just give them each an extra 10 or 20 raffle tickets and tell them sorry.

I don't know, but I'd definitely play it by ear.

Yeah I always said if they invented a golf game where I got two tries at every shot even I might be a golfer. ;-)

I sup pose that there would be a slight advantage for the two guys on the putting green. If I missed my first putt, then I'll know a little better than another guy how much harder or softer I need to hit it. Going back to the OP, I'm trying to decide what I would do if I was a tournament organizer and was faced with the dilemma of a two man team.  I certainly wouldn't want to have to award them a first place prize while telling 110 other guys that I let them each hit two shots from every spot.  Even though I don't think it's a big advantage, I recognize that others wouldn't agree.  I'm thinking that I might tell them that they could have 3 shots total, alternating the third shot between each of them.  Or I'd allow them a few extra mulligans, or some other random "cheat" that we'd likely be selling everybody.  Or, maybe I'd just give them each an extra 10 or 20 raffle tickets and tell them sorry. I don't know, but I'd definitely play it by ear.

Yep. Just think....would you rather have 4 try's at the same shot or have 4 different guys of roughly the same hcp taking the same shot. Not just on the green either. But again, it's a scramble. It's never fair and it sure as heck isn't golf......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yeah I always said if they invented a golf game where I got two tries at every shot even I might be a golfer.

And you'd certainly return a better score than one you would return, but I doubt it would be that much better than two separate you's either.

Yep.

Just think....would you rather have 4 try's at the same shot or have 4 different guys of roughly the same hcp taking the same shot.

Not just on the green either.

But again, it's a scramble. It's never fair and it sure as heck isn't golf......

I'd rather have 4 trys at the same shot, but that is because, like most, I overestimate my own abilities and I think I'm better than I probably am.

A better question would be if I'd rather have somebody else , who has the same handicap as me, hit 4 shots in a row, or if I'd rather be a part of a team of 4 different guys.  I'd rather the latter. ;)

I'll take me hitting 4 shots every time and would come close to taking me hitting 2 against 4 equal players hitting 1 each. Maybe dialing in a "practice shot" or two doesn't make much difference to you. I can see where it wouldn't make much difference for some golfers (especially better ones) but it makes a world of difference to me. I can and do make every mistake in the book (and some that aren't in the book) but I'm not very likely to make the same mistake twice in a row.

Most scrambles I've been in each group typically has an A, B, C, and D player and if you're short a player you rotate players hitting the extra shot.

Yes this hear! So basically the twosome of low handicappers, were two A players. Very unfair they should have split them up and added them to other teams.

My second player is always better. Funny how that works.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 3587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!