IGNORED

2014 Open Championship (British Open) at Royal Liverpool Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It looks like Tiger makes the cut, but I hope no one is keeping their hopes up for anything crazy to happen.. I don't think Rory is running away right now.. Unless he keeps at it 4 shot lead can disappear in a hole or two.. If he goes low again tomorrow though might as well give it to him Sunday in my opinion!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would be good to see Woods somehow finish top 10 to keep his momentum going to the PGA. I hope McIlroy doesn't runaway with it because the group at -6 is an interesting one and it would be fun to see them duke it out, I'm neutral on McIlroy and I'm fine with a runaway once in a while. Two in a row? Meh.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Guess that answers my question, Tiger bounces back with a Birdie on 18.  I get that he must have been burning inside on 17, just never seen him walk up and just quickly hit balls like that.  Seemed like that happened quite often today and made it seem to me like he was disinterested.  Part of me was thinking after 17 that he didn't really want to make the cut if he wasn't going to be in the mix coming into Saturday.

You can bet Tiger wanted to make the cut (and did).

He needs tournament reps, badly.  There is only the WGC Bridgestone he's going to play in before the PGA Championship.  Even though he pretty much doesn't have a chance this weekend (even though anything is possible), he'll use the weekend to sharpen his tournament play conditioning in an attempt to iron out the rust.  Again, reps.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

You can bet Tiger wanted to make the cut (and did).

He needs tournament reps, badly.  There is only the WGC Bridgestone he's going to play in before the PGA Championship.  Even though he pretty much doesn't have a chance this weekend (even though anything is possible), he'll use the weekend to sharpen his tournament play conditioning in an attempt to iron out the rust.  Again, reps.

I don't disagree that he needs reps and that he wanted to make the cut.  Just wasn't the feeling I was getting when watching him go through the motions.

My Sticks - Titleist 913D3 9.5* , 913F 3W 15*, 913H 21* & 24*, Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW w/ DG S300, Vokey SM5 52* & 56* & 60* Wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura X

I've watched the golf coverage every weekend for over 20 years.  I don't think I have EVER seen so many issues in one event with cameras and cell phone photos.  And not just with Tiger.  Has anyone else noticed how disruptive the galleries and photographers have been these first two days?

Worse than I can ever remember.  That would be so frustrating as a player.

Going to be a run away, Rory snooze fest.  Good for him, but bad for those of us that wanted to see an exciting major.

Not if the weather goes bad... but it looks as if it won't be terrible... bad for our excitement.

Rain tomorrow but wind forecast at 8 mph

Sunday - partly cloudy and winds at 11 mph.

Looks as if Big Hitter, the Llama, DJ, is the only one who can stand toe to toe with Rors.

So my guess is that Rors will be drinking from the cup...

(and now I've just hexed Rors)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor!?!?

Sounds like no one has any confidence that DJ can stand up to Rory. He's been there plenty of times before and will be in control of his game. We've seen Rory blow up before and this time, I think DJ can handle the pressure. Not saying he's going to win, but he'll keep it really interesting this weekend and could get inside Rory's head with his power.

Sounds like no one has any confidence that DJ can stand up to Rory. He's been there plenty of times before and will be in control of his game. We've seen Rory blow up before and this time, I think DJ can handle the pressure. Not saying he's going to win, but he'll keep it really interesting this weekend.

Maybe Paulina can distract Rors.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Sounds like no one has any confidence that DJ can stand up to Rory. He's been there plenty of times before and will be in control of his game. We've seen Rory blow up before and this time, I think DJ can handle the pressure. Not saying he's going to win, but he'll keep it really interesting this weekend.

:bugout: What?

• Upvote 1

I've watched the golf coverage every weekend for over 20 years.  I don't think I have EVER seen so many issues in one event with cameras and cell phone photos.  And not just with Tiger.  Has anyone else noticed how disruptive the galleries and photographers have been these first two days?

Worse than I can ever remember.  That would be so frustrating as a player.

The Open allows mobiles. The USO, no cell phones. I forget, were there many interruptions during the US Open? Were the interruptions in the Open by professional photographers or the general public?

It's interesting how the R&A; lets pocket computers in and the USGA doesn't. I'd like to hear the private conversations between the event runners on that one.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The Open allows mobiles. The USO, no cell phones. I forget, were there many interruptions during the US Open? Were the interruptions in the Open by professional photographers or the general public?

It's interesting how the R&A; lets pocket computers in and the USGA doesn't. I'd like to hear the private conversations between the event runners on that one.

I seldom even have my cell phone with me and it's just a regular old cell phone. I think I may have taken a few pictures with it before I got the Zi8 camera that I usually use.

If I remember right the cell phone camera, and the Zi8 don't make a sound when I take a picture. There is not a chance a golfer could even know I was taking their picture. I had the Zi8 with me when I went to an LPGA tournament and since nobody told me I couldn't take pictures I took both still pictures and video of quite a few players and nobody but me had a clue.

I don't know what kind of cameras are disrupting Tiger and others but it's obviously something that makes a sound or a flash.

Not sure I've ever seen the suggestion of an interesting conversation with the acronym R&A; attached to it that often, but they banned phones in 2006 after Tiger woods complained. The ban was repealled in 2012. There are supposed to be marshalls supplied by the navy who eject over zealous and inappropriate phone users from the course (personally I'd extend that to people shouting "in the hole").

The problem the R&A; have created this year is that they've installed free wi-fi across the course and encouraged fans to use portable devices to keep up to date with scoring etc and stream live pictures (from their own App). Taking photographs without a license is actually not allowed, although the reality is that people are doing. I think we need to get on top of it and eject a few folk, but it sounds as if the R&A; are trying to enhance the spectator experience through IT and generally use it as vehicle for promoting awareness.Tiger is unique being golfs only global mega star, and for the best part he handles it well with a degree of dignity. Bubba Watson is the only other player who has seen fit to complain (perhaps he wasn't getting enough attention). Bubba might have made a mistake with his bleating though ahead of Gleneagles. If the RC does nasty he's clearly demonstrated he can be 'got at'

I should note however, (and we've seen it from generations of American golfers over the decades) that those who complain the most always seem to be the ones posting the highest scores. It's only about 10 years later when they start to get the hang of links golf and when they're giving a victory speech that they start to proclaim their undying love affair for it (don't they Phil?). As a consequence, we not taking Bubba's bleatings too seriously and are chalking him up as 'just another one'. Let's see what he's saying in a decades time

I didn't see anything today that would convince me that Tiger's gonna back up.... ....and I say Tom Watson plays the weekend!

Just got off the golf course. Looks like I was one for two on my predictions here! Wow....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!