IGNORED

2014 Open Championship (British Open) at Royal Liverpool Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't know if anyone has seen this. ESPN3 will have wall-to-wall Tiger coverage at The Open.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/07/espn3-to-live-stream-tiger-woo.html

I like it - because it means that, hopefully, the broadcast coverage will be able to show players around the course, instead of having to feel like they must have Tiger dominate the coverage.

(full disclosure - one of my pet peeves about TV coverage is that they pick out a very small number of players to show during the course of their broadcast, and when Tiger is playing you see even less of the rest of the tournament, whether he is in contention or not.)

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope the weather forecast doesn't hold true. I want to see wind, I want to see rain, I want to see ski caps....that's the what the British Open's about.

Instead the weather forecast a week out is calling for warm weather and low winds next week. If that holds true, it'll be like 2006 all over again where several guys were scoring double digits under par.

I hope the weather forecast doesn't hold true. I want to see wind, I want to see rain, I want to see ski caps....that's the what the British Open's about. Instead the weather forecast a week out is calling for warm weather and low winds next week. If that holds true, it'll be like 2006 all over again where several guys were scoring double digits under par.

Upside is that you don't have guys getting a huge advantage because they got out before/after the weather turned.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I hope the weather forecast doesn't hold true. I want to see wind, I want to see rain, I want to see ski caps....that's the what the British Open's about. Instead the weather forecast a week out is calling for warm weather and low winds next week. If that holds true, it'll be like 2006 all over again where several guys were scoring double digits under par.

Weather forecasts almost never hold true in north west England. It's anyone's guess what it will really be like.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Weather forecasts almost never hold true in north west England. It's anyone's guess what it will really be like.

It depends. Sometimes they do. If they're in a pattern, then usually it tends to stay the same every day. Like last year I visited Europe and every day it was 75 and sunny. It never changed. It was just a pattern they were in.

It depends. Sometimes they do. If they're in a pattern, then usually it tends to stay the same every day. Like last year I visited Europe and every day it was 75 and sunny. It never changed. It was just a pattern they were in.

Europe's a big place. Yes, it can happen, even in England, if there's a sustained and slow-moving high pressure system. But the west coast of the British Isles probably sees greater and less predictable variations than almost anywhere on the continent, it's a classic maritime climate. Having looked at the UK met office forecasts, they're hedging their bets and being pretty vague about next weekend. Anyway, we'll soon know. And like you, I'm hoping the wind blows a bit. I'd like it to be warm, though, I'm playing some big links courses myself next week.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Europe's a big place.

Yes, it can happen, even in England, if there's a sustained and slow-moving high pressure system. But the west coast of the British Isles probably sees greater and less predictable variations than almost anywhere on the continent, it's a classic maritime climate. Having looked at the UK met office forecasts, they're hedging their bets and being pretty vague about next weekend.

Anyway, we'll soon know. And like you, I'm hoping the wind blows a bit. I'd like it to be warm, though, I'm playing some big links courses myself next week.

Sorry should have been more specific. It was a golfing trip in Ireland. But yeah, hopefully the forecast changes. So far it's stayed pretty much the same.

Heard an interview with Tom Watson and he basically said that if the wind doesn't blow, then he thinks Royal Liverpool will play "very easy." In '06, the winning score was -18 and that was with fast, dry conditions. They're calling for soft and lush conditions this year.

I don't like it when a player gets jammed with an afternoon/morning tee time with bad weather both times. Specifically, I don't like it when this happens to Tigs.

Colin P.

I think Kaymer has to be the favorite going into this weekend. If anyone can make me think otherwise I would love to hear it.

Well, I had Martin, and Sergio in my mind to possibly win it. I went with Sergio first, then Martin. So, yeah...I agree.

Every major my brother and I do a 10-player pool, and I had first choice for the Open.  I picked Adam Scott.  He seems to be consistently the best player in the world right now.  Kaymer has looked great and he was my 2nd pick (4th overall).

The guy I bypassed was Justin Rose.  I picked before the Scottish Open, so that might have changed my mind, but Justin's record in the Open Championship isn't very impressive.

Well, Rose isn't usually going into the Open in such good form. He is this year. Plus the fact it's in England may give him extra motivation.

I think The Scottish Open is a good barometer for how players will do because of the links practice. Look at Phil last year. Won the Scottish then won the British. Rose isn't the biggest hitter, though, and Liverpool is going to reward the bombers next week. That's why I think guys like McIlroy, Cabrera, Scott and DJ are all good picks next week. They can bomb it and destroy those par-5s. Gotta put it in the fairway, though. Rough is a big factor.

I have a couple bets on the Open . One is for Woods to win, only because of the higher odds the book offered @ 18/1 . Who knows?  The other is a money  line bet he makes the cut.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have a couple bets on the Open . One is for Woods to win, only because of the higher odds the book offered @ 18/1. Who knows?  The other is a money  line bet he makes the cut.

Somebody on the Golf Channel said in his practice round at Hoylake he would have been unlikely to break 80 if he played 18 holes.

I like DJ's and Rickie Fowler's chances next week. Both traditionally fair well at the Open. Hoylake is gonna fair well for the guys with distance and specifically Rickie, has played well in the majors this year.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Please please be entertaining this time. Last two have been snoozefests, frankly. I'll take a Koumei Oda/Juvic Pagunsan playoff gladly compared to a runaway

Riley

Please please be entertaining this time. Last two have been snoozefests, frankly. I'll take a Koumei Oda/Juvic Pagunsan playoff gladly compared to a runaway

Wasn't last year's pretty good?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!