IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post

The only thing to add, is grip it very lightly... Some folks have a great grip but unintentionally give it the power death squeeze..

Stay soft...

Agree that you shouldn't have "tension" in your forearms and wrists, but the club should be held pretty firmly. It should be firm enough that someone shouldn't be able to pull the club out of your hands. Having the grip positioned in the hands like I described helps secure a firm grip.

Quote:
Studies have been conducted on PGA Tour players and average amateurs. What they found was that the average PGA Tour player has the capacity to grip a club more than two times as firmly as the average amateur. So let's say a PGA Tour player says he grips the club at a "3 or a 4" on a scale of 1-10. The average amateur is only capable of gripping the club to a 4 or a 5, so that makes his grip pressure anywhere from a 6 to a 10 if you extrapolate the scale! Everyone's "3 to 4" is not the same.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree that you shouldn't have "tension" in your forearms and wrists, but the club should be held pretty firmly. It should be firm enough that someone shouldn't be able to pull the club out of your hands. Having the grip positioned in the hands like I described helps secure a firm grip.

This was hard for me to get used to but I really notice a difference when I put it into practice.  I used to firm up my grip and my elbows would go straight and tighten.  When I really focus on the right amount of pressure while relaxing (to an extent) my elbows and forearms, I really notice a difference in the ability to cup my wrist at impact which my latest my swing video showed me

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference in my iron play by stretching my left thumb down more. Before, I never thought much about it and wondered why my right hand never seems to stay in place on follow through.I have large, proximal knuckles on my thumbs so with a short thumb, my right hand slips off easy. Ball flight has a little tail to the right, missing greens on well struck balls. When I placed the left thumb in a more stretched position, I am able to cover it better with my right hand and it stays connected better. I don't stretch it as far as in pics and video here but it being longer now has created a much straighter shot. The hinging and release are improved. Thanks.

@mvmac ,

With regards to the left hand grip, and getting that heel of the hand to sit ontop of the grip. Would that feel more like there is more wrist angle, or the hands set lower at address than before, lets say if a person is more palmy. Wouldn't a palmy grip make the club handle more upright, unless the golfer makes an effort to keep the hands lower?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@mvmac , With regards to the left hand grip, and getting that heel of the hand to sit ontop of the grip. Would that feel more like there is more wrist angle, or the hands set lower at address than before, lets say if a person is more palmy. Wouldn't a palmy grip make the club handle more upright, unless the golfer makes an effort to keep the hands lower?

I'm obviously not Mike, but I have noticed that, with the grip in my palm, my wrist tends to be more cocked at address, which actually lowers the handle.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@mvmac ,

With regards to the left hand grip, and getting that heel of the hand to sit ontop of the grip. Would that feel more like there is more wrist angle, or the hands set lower at address than before, lets say if a person is more palmy. Wouldn't a palmy grip make the club handle more upright, unless the golfer makes an effort to keep the hands lower?

Yes setting the heel pad on top will create more of an angle between the shaft and forearms. Red line would indicate a palmy grip, it's set in a different part of the hand so the orientation of the shaft will be different.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face has closed.

Does this mean I should address the ball with a slightly closed club face, or do the dynamics of wrist movement during the swing take care of that in some way?

(As far as ball flight goes, the longer clubs do fade a bit (not a huge slice but definitely fading), while the short irons go straight left quite often.)

• 3 weeks later...

Jordan Spieth with the long left thumb, grip in the fingers of the right hand, pressure point 3 (first pad of the index finger) on the side of the shaft.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

Why is his left thumb visible in the picture???

Why not?

Maybe he uses larger grips, so there is a space where you can see it. But that is viewing from the left side of the club (if the club is at address). Also, Spieth's right hand isn't in a weak position, so the right hand isn't really over top, covering the top of the grip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post

Why is his left thumb visible in the picture???

I assume you are asking about Spieth. Why wouldn't it be visible?

Right hand shouldn't be "on top".

Quote:

The curvature of the rear hand fits into the base of the lead thumb.

Mike McLoughlin

Here is a link to a thorough description and discussion of Spieth's grip,

http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-grip/jordan-spieth-grip/

---- "Unlike many golf phenoms, this precocious Texan doesn’t boast textbook form. In fact, “unorthodox” would be a kind way of describing Jordan Spieth's grip.

Practically all accomplished golfers, from pros to the club level, match their left and right hands on the handle. In other words, the palms face each other directly regardless of their position (neutral, weak or strong).

Not Spieth’s. His left hand is in a relatively weak position, or rotated toward the target, while his right is somewhat strong, or rotated away from the target. This causes Spieth’s left arm to bend slightly while his left wrist bows outward at the top of the backswing.

It’s neither conventional nor pretty, but it certainly works. Still, many observers believe Jordan Spieth will have to alter his grip at some point to ensure long-term success." ----

In the Stack and Tilt book on page 52, it says : "The right hand grips with the fingers and covers the left thumb".

Here is a link to a thorough description and discussion of Spieth's grip,

http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-grip/jordan-spieth-grip/

I saw the pic of Spieth and thought it was a good demonstration of a functional grip, I still do. I don't think think it's a bad thing that you can see his left thumb, especially if he's arching his left wrist a little.As I said in my post, " Jordan Spieth with the long left thumb, grip in the fingers of the right hand, pressure point 3 (first pad of the index finger) on the side of the shaft."

Basically this is what I was trying to highlight (stole this pic from another instructor)

In the Stack and Tilt book on page 52, it says : "The right hand grips with the fingers and covers the left thumb".

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

is your picture of the glove a pic of how your glove should wear?

Illustrates where you DON'T want to see the wear. Notice how the wear spot is more in the palm and the thumb is shredded because of a lack of stability in the hand.

Mike McLoughlin

This thread has brought my entire swing back to life. Somehow, I got into the habit of having the club face much too closed at address. This was due to having my right forearm slightly rolled to the left. I was manipulating my hands during the backswing which resulted in a very "manufactured" swing. It felt like such work to return the club to the ball.

This grip has my hands SO relaxed at address and in a great preset position which allows me to simply make my turn. It also opens the club face maybe 8* at address which really helps me to use the bounce and not dig in on all of my irons. I'm able to work the ball again and have a much better ball flight. Thanks so much. I sometimes feel guilty getting free tips like this. It's like I stole something! :-D

I sometimes feel guilty getting free tips like this. It's like I stole something!

You can always become a Supporter ;-)

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin