IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

I use the interlock grip. It somehow gives me a more stable feeling in the swing. i do have to look after one thing tho

i sometimes take a to strong grip and than i can hit some massive hooks

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

@mvmac

With this image below. Do you run the grip along the bottom segments of the fingers, or does it cross a bit diagonal towards the palm at the base of the little finger?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@mvmac

With this image below. Do you run the grip along the bottom segments of the fingers, or does it cross a bit diagonal towards the palm at the base of the little finger?

Bit more diagonally but might feel more in the fingers.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Is there anything wrong with having a strong left hand grip and a weaker right hand grip? I find that if I do this especially with my driver it makes it easier for me to get my club face where it needs to be at impact?

Is there anything wrong with having a strong left hand grip and a weaker right hand grip? I find that if I do this especially with my driver it makes it easier for me to get my club face where it needs to be at impact?

I always thought that the right hand more or less just fits in where the left hand is position. The top of the left hand's thumb fits into the lifeline area of the right hand.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I always thought that the right hand more or less just fits in where the left hand is position. The top of the left hand's thumb fits into the lifeline area of the right hand.

This is true, but take your grip and you can still place your left thumb in the lifeline of your right, and move your right hand weaker or stronger, at least I can.

This is true, but take your grip and you can still place your left thumb in the lifeline of your right, and move your right hand weaker or stronger, at least I can.

@Slowcelica , you can do whatever you want but from my experience it makes more sense for curvature of the rear hand to "fit" into the base of the lead thumb. If the right hand is weaker, V pointing towards your chin, then things aren't really secure. It's more about the base of the lead thumb, not the placement of the thumb in the lifeline.

Mike McLoughlin

My grip is traditional on the left and strong on the right...I just got back from a college golf academy and they were telling me to weaken the right hand...after feeling it, I feel like that would be better because I can barely manipulate the club when I do...which may be more stable and the same every time ...is that on the right track? Will I start hitting blocks? How long until I don't have to think about it anymore?

@mvmac

Not sure if anyone asked this. Is their any generalities about interlocking versus overlapping grips?

Just wondering because I find an overlapping grip feels like it gets the palm of the right hand slightly more over top the left hand versus the interlocking grip.

Though I find it easier to keep the grip consistent with an interlocking grip, versus an overlapping grip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Not a question about me but my 6 year old son, holds the club I think cack handed, he's left handed and puts his lead hand on the bottom and right hand on the top. I'm guessing I should go ahead and get him out of this habit now, but are there any successful golfers who did this?

My grip is traditional on the left and strong on the right...I just got back from a college golf academy and they were telling me to weaken the right hand...after feeling it, I feel like that would be better because I can barely manipulate the club when I do...which may be more stable and the same every time ...is that on the right track? Will I start hitting blocks? How long until I don't have to think about it anymore?

If it feels more stable or "secure", you're probably on the right track.

@mvmac

Not sure if anyone asked this. Is their any generalities about interlocking versus overlapping grips?

Just wondering because I find an overlapping grip feels like it gets the palm of the right hand slightly more over top the left hand versus the interlocking grip.

Though I find it easier to keep the grip consistent with an interlocking grip, versus an overlapping grip.

Either one is fine, just depends on how it feels and the length of the fingers. Jack Nicklaus has shortish, stubby fingers so interlock worked better for him.

Not a question about me but my 6 year old son, holds the club I think cack handed, he's left handed and puts his lead hand on the bottom and right hand on the top. I'm guessing I should go ahead and get him out of this habit now, but are there any successful golfers who did this?

This guy.

Mike McLoughlin

Either one is fine, just depends on how it feels and the length of the fingers. Jack Nicklaus has shortish, stubby fingers so interlock worked better for him.

I recently switched back to the interlocking grip. I am finding it easier to keep a consistent grip that way.

Not sure if it is just me, I find an interlocking feels more unified. It just feels like it takes the right a tad out of it more than an overlapping.

Also, do you just lightly keep the right hand on, or is the grip equally as firm in pressure as the left hand?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Also, do you just lightly keep the right hand on, or is the grip equally as firm in pressure as the left hand?

I'm pretty firm with both hands (especially the two middle fingers of the right hand), not to the point where I'm "squeezing" the grip but it's secure enough that someone couldn't pull the club out of my hands.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac - this really clears up some of my confusion regarding the grip. I put a dot on my glove over the snuff box to help me see where the snuff box is in relation to the handle. Does anyone know if this is acceptable for tournament play?

Larry

I put a dot on my glove over the snuff box to help me see where the snuff box is in relation to the handle. Does anyone know if this is acceptable for tournament play?

Yep that's allowed. Louis Oosthuizen had a dot on his glove when he won the 2010 Open Championship.

http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/louis-oosthuizen-wins-british-open-with-red-dot-trigger-to-focus/

Mike McLoughlin

Yep that's allowed. Louis Oosthuizen had a dot on his glove when he won the 2010 Open Championship. [URL=http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/louis-oosthuizen-wins-british-open-with-red-dot-trigger-to-focus/]http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/louis-oosthuizen-wins-british-open-with-red-dot-trigger-to-focus/[/URL]

Thanks - I remembered that he used it as a focus trigger but I wasn't sure if I could use it as an alignment aid.

Larry

• Administrator

Thanks - I remembered that he used it as a focus trigger but I wasn't sure if I could use it as an alignment aid.

You could write whatever you wanted on your glove and it's fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For the left hand I pretty much grip right at the base of my fingers so I can squeeze my knuckles tight I think that gives me the most speed and distance but lacks control I tried Haney and Nicklaus advice about left hand Palm grip but not entirely comfortable with it unless I m inside 150 yards as I cant get distance but I do believe it's better grip for control