IGNORED

Questions and advice on new grips

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a new driver a month or so ago and changed the grip in the shop to a Winn DriTac midsize. I rather like the grip, but also looking at other alternatives as I plan on regripping my other clubs as well and have heard of the wear issues with Winn, plus I like the idea of the air installation and adjustability.

I play a combination of Ping G25 irons and Adams Hybrids. The Pings I was fitted for last year  and they have the mid-size grips from Ping on them, while the hybrids are older (except one of them) and have standard grips.

I actually have smaller hands, but do have issues with nerve damage and arthritis in my hands (and at 38 years old no less) so went to midsize a while back to help with the pain and grip. The midsize from ping are very hard grips and have not helped in that department, but they have helped with my gripping of the club. They are getting a bit slick though and I am looking for more of an all around solution.

After much research, I am very interested in Pure grips and have checked them out to some extent. Looking to get the grip kit with the compressor tool (already have the compressor) for installation. I see that their midsize wraps are rated as medium for impact, while the standard size P2 wrap is soft.

Based on my situation with the arthritis and nerve damage, what are your thoughts on these grips and which way do you think I should go? Has anyone tried both? Has anyone done P2 with a tape buildup, and if so how much tape and how does it effect installation?I feel a little more comfortable with midsize, but can probably swing either.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

i would absolutely go with PURE grips.  they last and last.  easy peasy installation too.

a compromise would be the pure midsize wrap.  it has a medium firmness and slightly oversized feel.

http://www.puregrips.com/grips/view/pure_midsize_wrap

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought a new driver a month or so ago and changed the grip in the shop to a Winn DriTac midsize. I rather like the grip, but also looking at other alternatives as I plan on regripping my other clubs as well and have heard of the wear issues with Winn, plus I like the idea of the air installation and adjustability.

I play a combination of Ping G25 irons and Adams Hybrids. The Pings I was fitted for last year  and they have the mid-size grips from Ping on them, while the hybrids are older (except one of them) and have standard grips.

I actually have smaller hands, but do have issues with nerve damage and arthritis in my hands (and at 38 years old no less) so went to midsize a while back to help with the pain and grip. The midsize from ping are very hard grips and have not helped in that department, but they have helped with my gripping of the club. They are getting a bit slick though and I am looking for more of an all around solution.

After much research, I am very interested in Pure grips and have checked them out to some extent. Looking to get the grip kit with the compressor tool (already have the compressor) for installation. I see that their midsize wraps are rated as medium for impact, while the standard size P2 wrap is soft.

Based on my situation with the arthritis and nerve damage, what are your thoughts on these grips and which way do you think I should go? Has anyone tried both? Has anyone done P2 with a tape buildup, and if so how much tape and how does it effect installation?I feel a little more comfortable with midsize, but can probably swing either.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

If you have a high swing speed, you might want to think about firmer grips. I have Lamkin crosslines and find them excellent (and they were inexpensive). I've had them for a year and they still look brand new. Softer grips tend to promote choking the club in the downswing, and I've always heard that changing grip pressure is a no-no. You're right about Winn Dri-Tacs - they wear easily. I still use them on my wedges, though, because I like the soft feel on short game shots. I don't play with a glove from 60 yards in.

I installed Pure midsize wraps at the beginning of the season. I love them. They are very easy to install, very durable, and very tacky after wiping them down with a wet towel. They are soft but firm, not squishy. I can't comment on how they would be for someone with arthritis or nerve damage.

If you have a high swing speed, you might want to think about firmer grips. I have Lamkin crosslines and find them excellent (and they were inexpensive). I've had them for a year and they still look brand new. Softer grips tend to promote choking the club in the downswing, and I've always heard that changing grip pressure is a no-no. You're right about Winn Dri-Tacs - they wear easily. I still use them on my wedges, though, because I like the soft feel on short game shots. I don't play with a glove from 60 yards in.

Unfortunately firmer grips are not an option due to the arthritis and nerve issues, or else I will be limited to playing once every two weeks in order to recover my hands which is not something I want to do. I definitely need the softer ones for the impact.

Can't agree with you enough on changing grip pressure during the swing as this is something I have dealt with in the past. The softer and larger grips actually seem to help me with that because the confidence in my grip is better and I can feel the right pressures as opposed to a firm grip always feeling like I have to give it the death grip, and often this leads to the club spinning in my hand because I am regripping at the top. This is kind of the opposite of what you are saying, but mine does seem to be a different situation.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions.

I installed Pure midsize wraps at the beginning of the season. I love them. They are very easy to install, very durable, and very tacky after wiping them down with a wet towel. They are soft but firm, not squishy. I can't comment on how they would be for someone with arthritis or nerve damage.

That is one odd thing with the Winn grip that I notices in that it does feel a bit squishy. Great on the hand pain issue, but does feel a little odd and not sure I like it or not. I liked it on the simulator, but so far my drives with the new driver/grip have not been great and wonder if that is part of it.

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!