IGNORED

Anybody play with an open stance/ Trevino's "power fade"?

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately I've had really good ball striking (for personal standards, at least) but I leave a lot of shots to the right, probably about 20 degrees or so from being straight. I feel as if I've been swinging in to out and getting weight forward, but I always leave the club face a bit open. I google searched for golfers that play with an open stance and came across this:

http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/the-golf-swing/try-trevinos-unorthodox-power-fade-swing/

Does anyone here play similar to this and/or have any luck?

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The guy who was club champion at my course in 2012 does. He's about 50 years old and built like a bowling ball -- I'd guess him at 5'8" and 240 pounds. He just keeps wiggling his feet as he sets up, getting more and more open all the time, and then winds up and wails. He hits the bejeezus out of the ball.

John

[=1][/]can't hit a fade to save my life. Odd considering at one tlme a big slice was the only thing I had. Opening my stance just makes me hit left. I gave up on steering the ball.

Dave :-)

My normal shot is a baby draw, although hit a bunch pretty straight lately. I have tried an open stance, and get either a push fade, or a shot that goes left. Like Dave, I can't hit a fade to save my life, and a slice was my big problem when I started.

As an aside: I've been hitting driver with a slightly open stance, and I some straight, some off to the right (push).

Yep every time I try to fade it I just aim my body left.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I wish I knew how to consistently hit a power fade. My natural ball flight is a push/draw. Changing the swing path has proven difficult for me. So, when I need to hit a fade, I have to aim WAY left, open the face, and try for a push/fade. If I could just learn to do this consistently, it would save me 2 or 3 shots per round...

I google searched for golfers that play with an open stance

Nicklaus also played a fade as his stock shot, IIRC.  Not sure how (or if) his setup/alignment was significantly different from Trevino's, though.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

People with slices who aim down the left, SAY that they play a "power fade".

If they get it in the fairway, they are correct are they not?  Bubba Watson plays a huge slice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If they get it in the fairway, they are correct are they not?  Bubba Watson plays a huge slice.

That's just because he is hitting from the wrong side of the ball. It's a big hook to everybody else.

James

Does anyone use an open stance and hit a small push-straight pattern as their stock shot?

Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

I wouldn't call aiming 2 fairways over and hoping it comes back playing a "power fade". It's more like a "Hit and Hope Giant Slice"

Nicklaus also played a fade as his stock shot, IIRC.  Not sure how (or if) his setup/alignment was significantly different from Trevino's, though.

Yes he aimed his body a little left and hit push fades.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tried to play with this swing in mind today. Hit the range first, was shooting alright except for a slice with the driver. Went out on the course and it was awful. Lost distance, inconsistent ball striking, and ridiculously bad slices. Called it quits after 5 holes because I lost so many balls.

Some other part of my mechanics must've fallen apart. I felt as if I was swinging a bit out to in, then maybe that I was actually swinging too far in to out, I don't know.

Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

I bought Trevino's book about four years ago and spent a few months learning his swing. It's not too hard to do, really. The results were fantastic once I got it down. The ball went straight, straight, straight. The only problem was, your back wants to go one way through impact while you force it to keep it going another. After every practice session, my lower back hurt. That wasn't a good sign, so I stopped the experiment.

Does anyone use an open stance and hit a small push-straight pattern as their stock shot?

Tried to play with this swing in mind today. Hit the range first, was shooting alright except for a slice with the driver. Went out on the course and it was awful. Lost distance, inconsistent ball striking, and ridiculously bad slices. Called it quits after 5 holes because I lost so many balls.

Some other part of my mechanics must've fallen apart. I felt as if I was swinging a bit out to in, then maybe that I was actually swinging too far in to out, I don't know.

I've fought good club path, open face push/push-fade/push-slices for years.  Have been regularly tempted to try this approach.  Has never worked out long term.  There are famous players who've used this approach, but I'd caution you that it's much more likely that you've got swing faults that won't be fixed by just opening the stance and playing for a push – as opposed to a mechanically solid and consistent swing that results in a push-fade.

I'd guess your on course results aren't because opening up caused new swing faults, just that they caused you to try to compensate for your same swing faults with new compensations.  Get some lessons, start a my swing thread, join evolvr, etc.  If you can put together a mechanically solid swing with very consistent slight push-fade results, then consider adopting that as your stock shot.  But at a 22 HC, I'd bet that's not the point you're at.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I've fought good club path, open face push/push-fade/push-slices for years.  Have been regularly tempted to try this approach.  Has never worked out long term.  There are famous players who've used this approach, but I'd caution you that it's much more likely that you've got swing faults that won't be fixed by just opening the stance and playing for a push – as opposed to a mechanically solid and consistent swing that results in a push-fade.

I'd guess your on course results aren't because opening up caused new swing faults, just that they caused you to try to compensate for your same swing faults with new compensations.  Get some lessons, start a my swing thread, join evolvr, etc.  If you can put together a mechanically solid swing with very consistent slight push-fade results, then consider adopting that as your stock shot.  But at a 22 HC, I'd bet that's not the point you're at.

Yeah, I decided to scrap this whole idea and keep working on fixing my faults with a 'regular' set up. A couple weeks ago I played the best round of my life by really focusing on key #2 and a 4th key video about hitting draws with the driver, and I realized I haven't exaggerated getting my weight forward since. At the range yesterday I noticed when I realllly get my weight forward it kind of forces an in-out path, and I was hitting pretty straight shots.

I'm going to try and get a good recording DTL and face on swings next time I'm out and add them to my swing thread. Currently my videos are from crappy angles as my phone was leaning against a gate at the range. Thanks for the advice!

Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!