IGNORED

Getting ready for my major

GHIN0011458
Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today was cool though. I played with a guy who does have a start on the web.com tour and he shot 85. Course is no joke either. It was so hard to get close to the hole. On the par 5 I actually one hopped, hit the flag and spun back into the rough where I failed to get it up and down. Another time I hit a poor sand shot.. rolled back down into the bunker and got up and down for 4. First hole hit a low hook and played for a bogey. I started hitting the ball better finally on 10 after I ate a snickers. For real.. snickers work. Anyways some bad breaks and the longest put I made was around 18 feet other than that it was maybe 8 feet. The other guy I played with played 2 years of pro golf and is a member at the course. 2nd best putter I have ever seen. He shot 72 but it could have easily been a 79. He made 15 footers all day long.

• Administrator

Let's stick to the topic eh?

Edit: Never mind. I'll move them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fair enough - good round GHIN. Far and sure tomorrow too...

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Missed the cut by 8. Not a good round but I am happy considering I improved by 10 strokes this year from last. We had a par 4 that was 534 yards today. They moved number 2 tee box back. Its interesting to see what the leaders have to say and how difficult the course is. The guy who shot 85 shot 68 today with unreal ball striking and putting. The number one thing I will be working on is more spin and higher flight at the beginning of next year. I think my driving and chipping are well above average but my proximity to the hole and putting are below average. Greens ended up around 12.5 and my putter let me down mostly today. Had 33 putts. Not the speed just kept closing the toe down before impact. Greens were as firm as could be and were turning slightly purpleish. All in all if I keep improving I should make the cut next year or year after. I am actually averaging 2.5 strokes less per round in tournaments than last year. I have a 2 day event on a 7000 yard par 72 next two days so hopefully will finish the weekend strong. 16 gir 23 fairways of 28 zero penalties 29-33 for putts greens hit and not held is 6

Missed the cut by 8. Not a good round but I am happy considering I improved by 10 strokes this year from last. We had a par 4 that was 534 yards today. They moved number 2 tee box back. Its interesting to see what the leaders have to say and how difficult the course is. The guy who shot 85 shot 68 today with unreal ball striking and putting. The number one thing I will be working on is more spin and higher flight at the beginning of next year. I think my driving and chipping are well above average but my proximity to the hole and putting are below average. Greens ended up around 12.5 and my putter let me down mostly today. Had 33 putts. Not the speed just kept closing the toe down before impact. Greens were as firm as could be and were turning slightly purpleish. All in all if I keep improving I should make the cut next year or year after. I am actually averaging 2.5 strokes less per round in tournaments than last year. I have a 2 day event on a 7000 yard par 72 next two days so hopefully will finish the weekend strong.

16 gir

23 fairways of 28

zero penalties

29-33 for putts

greens hit and not held is 6

Congratulations on your per round improvement of 2.5 strokes. This is huge. Is you handicap really scratch? Seems like the scores you shot would put you in the +2 range.

How about that, you witnessed a +4 handicap shoot an 85 and a little math and voila a +2 handicap can shoot 87 or more. ;-)

In any case, you performed well. What was the course rating BTW?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Congratulations on your per round improvement of 2.5 strokes. This is huge. Is you handicap really scratch? Seems like the scores you shot would put you in the +2 range. How about that, you witnessed a +4 handicap shoot an 85 and a little math and voila a +2 handicap can shoot 87 or more. ;-) In any case, you performed well. What was the course rating BTW?

The course rating on the card for every day play is 75. I am willing to go off course average for the two days is fair at a 77.0.. slope is 141. I'm not sure what I played to but I didn't feel like I played well really, just smart. Also, I don't think he was a plus 4. He has one start on web.com and missed the cut I really think he is a +2 ish. He's on Adams Tour but hasn't made any cuts. Korbin Kuehn is his name. Good player no doubt.

Missed the cut by 8. Not a good round but I am happy considering I improved by 10 strokes this year from last. We had a par 4 that was 534 yards today. They moved number 2 tee box back. Its interesting to see what the leaders have to say and how difficult the course is. The guy who shot 85 shot 68 today with unreal ball striking and putting. The number one thing I will be working on is more spin and higher flight at the beginning of next year. I think my driving and chipping are well above average but my proximity to the hole and putting are below average. Greens ended up around 12.5 and my putter let me down mostly today. Had 33 putts. Not the speed just kept closing the toe down before impact. Greens were as firm as could be and were turning slightly purpleish. All in all if I keep improving I should make the cut next year or year after. I am actually averaging 2.5 strokes less per round in tournaments than last year. I have a 2 day event on a 7000 yard par 72 next two days so hopefully will finish the weekend strong.

16 gir

23 fairways of 28

zero penalties

29-33 for putts

greens hit and not held is 6

Why you're waiting until next year to start working on this? I'm not calling you out, just curious.

- Shane

Why you're waiting until next year to start working on this? I'm not calling you out, just curious.

I still have some tourneys this year and it will be a major change for me. I'll make small steps toward the goal this year but to make everything natural will take time.

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/75467/getting-ready-for-my-major/36#post_1019142"] Congratulations on your per round improvement of 2.5 strokes. This is huge. Is you handicap really scratch? Seems like the scores you shot would put you in the +2 range. How about that, you witnessed a +4 handicap shoot an 85 and a little math and voila a +2 handicap can shoot 87 or more. ;-) In any case, you performed well. What was the course rating BTW?

The course rating on the card for every day play is 75. I am willing to go off course average for the two days is fair at a 77.0.. slope is 141. I'm not sure what I played to but I didn't feel like I played well really, just smart. Also, I don't think he was a plus 4. He has one start on web.com and missed the cut I really think he is a +2 ish. He's on Adams Tour but hasn't made any cuts. Korbin Kuehn is his name. Good player no doubt.[/quote] Yeah, but the range from 85 to 68 is large don't you agree? I am glad you witnesses it really because of you didn't I'm not sure you would believe someone can shoot an 85 and then a 68 on consecutive days.. Congrats though, I'm sure you will learn from that experience!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

This is a really major change in the swing because you need to put a lot more downward power into the ball. The timing to do this is really precise. At least that's what I gather from reading a lot of biographies of differrent golfers who needed to adapt to modern faster greens. I also queried a couple scratch golfers playing D1 college level, and they said that sticking greens in regulation with the stimp ratings of the pro courses is really hard. The holes are longer requiring you to use a longer club on the approach too. [quote name="GHIN0011458" url="/t/75467/getting-ready-for-my-major/36#post_1019154"] I still have some tourneys this year and it will be a major change for me. I'll make small steps toward the goal this year but to make everything natural will take time.[/quote] Good luck on those tourneys. I hope you do as well or better than you did this last one.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!