IGNORED

Help my Golf Game

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 35. I played a lot when I was younger(16-20) but never really practiced or took it serious. I then didnt play golf for almost 15 years. I decided last fall to start up again and Im taking it serious this time. I immediately went to a Pro. Since September I have taken 7 lessons. Im willing to put in the time but my practice sessions suck.

My problem is for some reason, when I go the my teacher I step up and hit the ball solid almost every time. He only makes small adjustments  and then Im great for the rest of the hour.

The issue is, as soon as I leave there and go to the range a few days later or a course, my swing falls apart. I can drive the ball off the team with good consistency but my iron play goes to complete shit unless in the presence of the instructor.

My question is what is the next step. Im an extremely frustrated and thinking about giving it up for good this time...

Driver: Nike Covert

3W & 5W: Cobra Baffler

3 Hybrid: Ping G25

4 Hybrid: Ping G25

5 Iron - Gap Wedge: Ping G25

SW: Ping Tour Series

Putter: Ping My Day(Old School)

First off, welcome to The Sand Trap. If you look around, there are tons of info on how to improve your swing,how to practice, ect.

Also you might consider making a video of your swing, and post in the member swing forum  here  http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Without seeing a person's swing, it's kinda hard to say what needs to be done. As far as hitting well while in the presence of your instructor, could be a number of things, as to why you can't hit em well on the ranger or the course.

Anyhow, good luck, and enjoy your stay.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My guess is when you are at your instructor, you might be focused more on your swing than when you are out on the course. Plus you are hitting shots in more of a faster, repetitive manner than when out on the course. Shots on the course can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 15+/- minutes between each other. Practice shots might only be a minute or so between each one.  A question I might have is, do you have a

pre-shot routine that you use between each shot?  If not, I would suggest you develop one for yourself. It helps to focus on the next shot at hand. Even better, it helps the golfer forget any poor shots hit previously.

Giving up the game is not the answer. Giving up at anything is a lot like suicide. It's not a very good option. Besides you already know you are capable of hitting some good shots.  Part of the fascination of the game of golf is the golfer's journey to be the best player he, or she can be. Very few people are born with the "gift" to play great golf from the start. Unfortunately frustration  is normal part of a golfer's journey. All golfers suffer some frustration with their game from time to time. You can file it under the mental aspects of the game. Keep playing, and have fun with the game..

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I found this happened to me once, had a lesson and within minutes I was hitting the ball further and straighter than ever, it was great! Thought I had finally sussed it, went back the next day to ingrain my new found ability! And couldn't hit a barn door! It is frustrating! But that's golf, moments of elation and joy followed by feelings of anger madness! We seem to end up accepting the game for what it does to us, the anger and madness turn to wry frustration which we laugh about later, just remember to laugh! Because if you don't, you'll cry! I only go to the range in the winter now! I seem to hit balls better on the course than the range! I don't even try and make sense of it!

Gaz Lee

The issue is, as soon as I leave there and go to the range a few days later or a course, my swing falls apart. I can drive the ball off the team with good consistency but my iron play goes to complete shit unless in the presence of the instructor.

My question is what is the next step. Im an extremely frustrated and thinking about giving it up for good this time...

Seems like you need to start practicing more like this

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!