IGNORED

Irons for higher swing speeds

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not sure why but I was under the assumption that most people hit the ball too high compared to pros and not too low? I'm pretty sure that was my takeaway.. I'll check again though.

I would say it is a mix bag. I don't have stats on it.

No, most people think they hit too high. The problem is that they don't hit far enough, because most people flip.

I'm pretty sure Jeremie really hits high. He has a pretty high swing speed, and the Burners are notorious for having shafts that are too flexible.

That is true. Especially about their golf shafts with the burner irons. I had a set of Burners 2.0 for a while. They had X-stiff made by Taylormade shafts. They were frequency matched as regular stiff. So yea, they are a too light and not the right stiffness spec.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Abu3baid" url="/t/75493/irons-for-higher-swing-speeds#post_1013868"] I'm not sure why but I was under the assumption that most people hit the ball too high compared to pros and not too low? I'm pretty sure that was my takeaway.. I'll check again though.[/QUOTE] No, most people think they hit too high. The problem is that they don't hit far enough, because most people flip. I'm pretty sure Jeremie really hits high. He has a pretty high swing speed, and the Burners are notorious for having shafts that are too flexible.

I'll check on the thread I read and confirm.. JB ha a haughty swing speed but he is still working through his swing and flipping so ya it will be higher than usual.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'll check on the thread I read and confirm.. JB ha a haughty swing speed but he is still working through his swing and flipping so ya it will be higher than usual.

I'm not sure how much speed if any I'll lose though, because I wasn't using much body in my swing and I think that body torque will add more speed than flipping did. I could be wrong there though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Ok, I found a different set of irons that I'm curious about. Cleveland 588 TT with stock cleveland stiff shafts. I hesitate to buy the Razr X Tours because they are said to be high launching irons which I'm trying to get away from.

I use the 588 TT, my average driver SS is over 100, usually 98-105. The cool thing is the interchangeability with the other Cleveland irons. I hated the stock shafts, putting the KBS Tour in those heads made a huge difference. Just bought a 588 MT 5 iron and I also have a few 588 Altitude irons. Haven't used those in a while but despite the SGI properties and fugly look a lot of low handicap golfers use the 588 Altitude long irons. I went to a 7 wood instead of a 4 iron but when I used the Altitude 4 it was like a hammer.

My experience is most don't hit it as high as they think they do. Have you ever been on Trackman or FlightScope? Last Fri when I was at our supervised practice we rotate through the stalls and get about 15 minutes on FlightScope. Our coach tracks our numbers for us. Anyway my flight is higher than most, it was higher than any other student that was there that day. I averaged in the 68-78 feet range with decent contact on limited flight balls, bad hits were considerably lower. Some of those folks were only getting it to about 40-50 feet, decent golfers. A young guy there talking to my coach plays on the Loyola Marymount golf team and he was hitting it more like a pro. It was so much higher than everyone else there really impossible not to notice it.

Dave :-)

[QUOTE name="Abu3baid" url="/t/75493/irons-for-higher-swing-speeds/18#post_1013878"] I'll check on the thread I read and confirm.. JB ha a haughty swing speed but he is still working through his swing and flipping so ya it will be higher than usual.[/QUOTE] I'm not sure how much speed if any I'll lose though, because I wasn't using much body in my swing and I think that body torque will add more speed than flipping did. I could be wrong there though.

What I meant is that with your swing speed once you are hitting the right position through impact your ball flight will change even with the clubs you have.. I think hat is where you are headed if you keep it up with Erik!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I use the 588 TT, my average driver SS is over 100, usually 98-105. The cool thing is the interchangeability with the other Cleveland irons. I hated the stock shafts, putting the KBS Tour in those heads made a huge difference. Just bought a 588 MT 5 iron and I also have a few 588 Altitude irons. Haven't used those in a while but despite the SGI properties and fugly look a lot of low handicap golfers use the 588 Altitude long irons. I went to a 7 wood instead of a 4 iron but when I used the Altitude 4 it was like a hammer.

My experience is most don't hit it as high as they think they do. Have you ever been on Trackman or FlightScope? Last Fri when I was at our supervised practice we rotate through the stalls and get about 15 minutes on FlightScope. Our coach tracks our numbers for us. Anyway my flight is higher than most, it was higher than any other student that was there that day. I averaged in the 68-78 feet range with decent contact on limited flight balls, bad hits were considerably lower. Some of those folks were only getting it to about 40-50 feet, decent golfers. A young guy there talking to my coach plays on the Loyola Marymount golf team and he was hitting it more like a pro. It was so much higher than everyone else there really impossible not to notice it.

I don't have any numbers on ball flight just yet, I go by eye and the fact that others have told me that my ball flight is indeed high. I may get the 588 TT's just because they are a good price and they are better clubs than the burner pluses I have. If I don't like them then no big deal because they didn't break the bank.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

What I meant is that with your swing speed once you are hitting the right position through impact your ball flight will change even with the clubs you have.. I think hat is where you are headed if you keep it up with Erik!

A high swing speed will deliver an excessively high shot with those Burner stock shafts. He would need to swing uncharacteristically slow and probably mess up his sequence.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't have any numbers on ball flight just yet, I go by eye and the fact that others have told me that my ball flight is indeed high. I may get the 588 TT's just because they are a good price and they are better clubs than the burner pluses I have. If I don't like them then no big deal because they didn't break the bank.

It's a good head. The only thing I don't like is the sound, kind of loud for me, though many modern CB's are loud. If I don't catch it close to the sweet spot sounds like I hit a rock.

I wouldn't vest too much interest into the flex unless you've already been fit and they've told you that the shafts are not right for your game. My typical 7i is 168 with the stock R300 shafts on my Titleist 712 AP1s. I hit a few demo shots with the S300 shafts in the same set and we found that there was virtually no difference. The difference in dispersion was not enough to justify the loss of yardage that we saw at the time (I think it was -5ish yards). I really did not gain anything by bumping up to Stiff. I actually had a lower trajectory with slightly less yardage.

I actually hit the ball very high myself and always hear "What the f..." or "Damn!" when I'm playing with new people and hitting a tee shot on a Par 3, or an approach shot from 140-200. Everyone always tells me I should get my flight down but I know I shouldn't based on several meetings with teaching professionals in my area.

On a side note, I also find it easier to hold fast greens, greens in general really, with a high trajectory and soft landing.

Just make sure you evaluate the whole picture and weigh all pros and cons before making a change.

I wouldn't vest too much interest into the flex unless you've already been fit and they've told you that the shafts are not right for your game. My typical 7i is 168 with the stock R300 shafts on my Titleist 712 AP1s. I hit a few demo shots with the S300 shafts in the same set and we found that there was virtually no difference. The difference in dispersion was not enough to justify the loss of yardage that we saw at the time (I think it was -5ish yards). I really did not gain anything by bumping up to Stiff. I actually had a lower trajectory with slightly less yardage.

I actually hit the ball very high myself and always hear "What the f..." or "Damn!" when I'm playing with new people and hitting a tee shot on a Par 3, or an approach shot from 140-200. Everyone always tells me I should get my flight down but I know I shouldn't based on several meetings with teaching professionals in my area.

On a side note, I also find it easier to hold fast greens, greens in general really, with a high trajectory and soft landing.

Just make sure you evaluate the whole picture and weigh all pros and cons before making a change.

Your R300 shafts are stiffer than the "Stiff" Burner stock shafts and they have a higher kick point. Plus, they are much higher quality shafts.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wouldn't vest too much interest into the flex unless you've already been fit and they've told you that the shafts are not right for your game. My typical 7i is 168 with the stock R300 shafts on my Titleist 712 AP1s. I hit a few demo shots with the S300 shafts in the same set and we found that there was virtually no difference. The difference in dispersion was not enough to justify the loss of yardage that we saw at the time (I think it was -5ish yards). I really did not gain anything by bumping up to Stiff. I actually had a lower trajectory with slightly less yardage.

I actually hit the ball very high myself and always hear "What the f..." or "Damn!" when I'm playing with new people and hitting a tee shot on a Par 3, or an approach shot from 140-200. Everyone always tells me I should get my flight down but I know I shouldn't based on several meetings with teaching professionals in my area.

Well, I'm not planning on getting rid of the clubs I have until I get a chance to play with whatever replacements I get.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Worth mentioning is the 588 TT has strong lofts. You will need 3 wedges after PW. But you can drop the 4 iron because it's really a 3 iron. I have a Hopkins 50 wedge -1 but I actually liked the Altitude D wedge. The wide sole and 11* bounce was forgiving around the greens and it was tough to mishit with full swing shots. I just ordered a shaft for it so I can use it again.

When I earn more GolfNow rewards I'll be buying an MT 6 iron. Going to go with 5-6 MT 7-PW TT.

Well, I'm not planning on getting rid of the clubs I have until I get a chance to play with whatever replacements I get.

Worth mentioning is the 588 TT has strong lofts. You will need 3 wedges after PW. But you can drop the 4 iron because it's really a 3 iron. I have a Hopkins 50 wedge -1 but I actually liked the Altitude D wedge. The wide sole and 11* bounce was forgiving around the greens and it was tough to mishit with full swing shots. I just ordered a shaft for it so I can use it again.

When I earn more GolfNow rewards I'll be buying an MT 6 iron. Going to go with 5-6 MT 7-PW TT.

Actually, get a set of used Mizuno MP-52. I think you can pick up a used set for less than $200 and they come with stock S300 shafts or better.

These have more traditional lofts and hit lower because of the shaft to boot. Keep your Burners in case you want high launching 6i to 4i.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I was curious about those mizunos but didn't know if I could handle them.

At a higher swing speed, there should be no problem. They will hit lower, the issue is if you can hit the longer clubs high enough. You might try something like mixing the clubs like using MP-52 PW to 7i, and 6i to 3i with the Burners.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The 588 TT will be way more forgiving than the MP-52. The MPF is something like 615 for the TT and less than 400 for the MP-52.

Obviously this isn't going to be as simple as I had hoped, ha.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Obviously this isn't going to be as simple as I had hoped, ha.

It never is, and can get pretty expensive.

The main thing is not to rush into anything to not waste money.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!