IGNORED

Irons for higher swing speeds

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It took me forever to choose new irons, multiple demos, trying different shaft head combos. It was worth it. The combo of improvement due to lessons and using the right equipment led to immediate lower scores a year ago. The first time on the course the severity of mishits was noticeable.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately I don't know that I'll ever have the luxury of getting such a comprehensive fitting because that would typically be done for higher end clubs. I can't say I'll have the money to spend more than 400-600 on a set of irons.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I disagree. A fitting is affordable and just a way to get your numbers. From there you can just go try and see what looks and feels good. We'd spend a little time at each fitting cart. Wasn't hard to see what clubs were similar, clubs marketed to certain golfers all share some common features. I knew what type of club worked best for my abilities and I limited it to that. After I was fit I waited until I found used irons on the cheap then had those rebuilt with parts I sourced myself. I don't think I have $600 in my TT's. You can order direct from Cleveland and get a 4-PW TT set with good shafts for around $500 now. I just ordered a 588 MT 5 iron with a KBS Tour 90 for $72.

Nicer courses host demo days. I don't need or want new irons but I still go when I get the email invites. The Titleist guys had a launch monitor when they were here a few weeks ago.

Dave :-)

Ok, I found a different set of irons that I'm curious about. Cleveland 588 TT with stock cleveland stiff shafts. I hesitate to buy the Razr X Tours because they are said to be high launching irons which I'm trying to get away from.

Released in 2011, the RazrX Tour irons were placed in the GI range by both Maltby and the GD Hot List. Has a Vertical COG = .761". Callaway PreOwned (CPO) says this model has a lower and deeper VCOG than the prior model, which would increase launch angle.

The shaft in the iron likewise would influence launch. On CPO, most common shaft for the RazrX Tour was the low-launch Dynamic Golf S300. It would be best if you could test the RXTs to see how they fly with a given shaft.

On the other hand, the Cleveland 588 series iron models got a price cut this spring. The 588 TT is GI, with a VCOG =  .781". The stock TRAction 85 shafts (mid-kick) weight 85 grams in stiff, so these would be a lot lighter than the DG S300 (130 grams). Lighter weight shafts contribute to higher launches. Again, try before you buy.

I tried a 588 TT demo set in January (in-door expo) with R.flex TRAction 85 shafts. The shots flew well, but the shafts felt a little light to me.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Crap, rofl, this just isn't going well.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I wish I had your problem. I hit a very low ball. If your swing speed is too high, just work on swinging slower. If your ball flight is too high, move it back in your stance. I play TT DG S300 in my irons. They do have a high kick point. Lower ball but more control.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I wish I had your problem. I hit a very low ball.

If your swing speed is too high, just work on swinging slower. If your ball flight is too high, move it back in your stance.

I play TT DG S300 in my irons. They do have a high kick point. Lower ball but more control.

Swing slower? Why in the world would I do that? Considering most people are trying to increase their swing speed. And my ball placement had to move forward due to being too far back before. It's middle or just in front of middle.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Swing slower? Why in the world would I do that? Considering most people are trying to increase their swing speed. And my ball placement had to move forward due to being too far back before. It's middle or just in front of middle.

I think the only issue is if it screws up your natural cadence.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think the only issue is if it screws up your natural cadence.

Yeah, typically when I try to slow down I end up all over the place way worse than normal speed. Either way, slowing down swing speed doesn't seem like the smart way to go for most people. Swing speed = distance = closer to the hole = better chance to score well. Or at least this is what I heard is in some really good golf book.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

If your swing speed is too high, just work on swinging slower. If your ball flight is too high, move it back in your stance.

I don't think either of those two are particularly good advice.

Speed is an advantage.

Flipping can make the ball flight too high - putting the ball back in your stance is a quick fix, nothing more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought I read earlier in this thread where you thought your swingspeed was too high. Many people do overswing. The height of your shot is determined mainly by the loft of your club at impact. Think about what's happening there before you think new clubs. With respect to what your looking at, all the shaft flex and kickpoint does is put the clubface in a slightly different loft at impat. If you think your ball position is right, then don't move it. But if it's going too high, it may be a variable you want to check. My hands are pretty well ahead of the ball at impact, causing a low ball flight.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I don't think either of those two are particularly good advice. Speed is an advantage. Flipping can make the ball flight too high - putting the ball back in your stance is a quick fix, nothing more.

Speed you can control is an advantage and if the ball is indeed too far forward, then moving it back is not a quick fix. We can't know the answer unless we actaully see the swing.

Speed you can control is an advantage and if the ball is indeed too far forward, then moving it back is not a quick fix. We can't know the answer unless we actaully see the swing.

He has seen the swing, it's in my swing thread.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

The height of your shot is determined mainly by the loft of your club at impact.

The height of the shot is a function of launch angle, spin, and ball speed.

Bubba Watson can hit the ball a lot higher than a lot of people despite delivering a lot less loft with the same clubs because he spins the ball and mostly because the ball has so much speed it can climb for a long, long time.

Yeah, he has a My Swing thread and his flip is quite evident (though improving).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the end, I think if @Jeremie Boop better, he will notice the ball will go lower. I still think he will hit it too high with those burners.

Not sure what he is looking for. My best advice would be just try out some irons. Either at a demo day, or on a launch monitor.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In the end, I think if @Jeremie Boop gets his swing better, he will notice the ball will go lower. I still think he will hit it too high with those burners.

Not sure what he is looking for. My best advice would be just try out some irons. Either at a demo day, or on a launch monitor.

I have an appointment set up to do a flightscope session Saturday to get numbers so I can work with the guy on recommendations for clubs. Figured at this point it's just a good idea. I don't expect any more major swing changes that would cause me to change gear in the future. I assume, maybe falsely, that once I nail down this shorter backswing that most of my changes will be smaller tweaks.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

[QUOTE name="saevel25" url="/t/75493/irons-for-higher-swing-speeds/36#post_1014363"]   In the end, I think if @Jeremie Boop gets his swing better, he will notice the ball will go lower. I still think he will hit it too high with those burners.  Not sure what he is looking for. My best advice would be just try out some irons. Either at a demo day, or on a launch monitor.  [/QUOTE] I have an appointment set up to do a flightscope session Saturday to get numbers so I can work with the guy on recommendations for clubs. Figured at this point it's just a good idea. I don't expect any more major swing changes that would cause me to change gear in the future. I assume, maybe falsely, that once I nail down this shorter backswing that most of my changes will be smaller tweaks.

Probably a little OT and maybe someone can correct me but I feel like changes should only be considered tweeking once someone is working on key#5 and fine tuning key#4.. Then again that's just my opinion!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!