IGNORED

Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?

1badbadger
Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?

• Love her
    • Hate her

I am squarely in the middle. I can relate to a lot of the OP. She is a huge pre-Madonna.

I'm pretty sure she's post-Madonna....... :-D

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@misty_mountainhop ,  I notice that Sir Tiger Woods also uses the word 'grinder' to describe a 'work day'  so Michelle Wie is not the only golfer of note  using a 'made-up' word.  And  i would hasten to add that English words can be made-up at will.  The  USA at least does not have a 'Proper Word Committee' as some countries do, eg. France and China. Don't know about UK.  Whether any made-up English word is accepted by the population is another story.

Personally, i also find the word 'grinded' a bit off, and my computer spell check does not like it either. We all know the past tense of grind is ground, i think. I ground the coffee beans.

Yeah, it's a curious word with many meanings

She's adorable and finally matured into a professional.  I really enjoy watching her play.

couldn't have said it better.

I vote the world needs more Wie Kia commercials ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nQ4IueEiA

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

LPGA needs Wie to do well, she's well known, dare I say a "star" of women's golf?  Can't ask for anything more, fun, attractive, fit and starting to live up to all the hype that surrounded her before she went to Stanford.

In the last few months (since Tiger's surgery) I've found the LPGA more fun to watch when Wie was contending than most weeks of the PGA Tour.

Joe Paradiso

@misty_mountainhop,  I notice that Sir Tiger Woods also uses the word 'grinder' to describe a 'work day'  so Michelle Wie is not the only golfer of note  using a 'made-up' word.  And  i would hasten to add that English words can be made-up at will.  The  USA at least does not have a 'Proper Word Committee' as some countries do, eg. France and China. Don't know about UK.  Whether any made-up English word is accepted by the population is another story.

Personally, i also find the word 'grinded' a bit off, and my computer spell check does not like it either. We all know the past tense of grind is ground, i think. I ground the coffee beans.

Yeah, it's a curious word with many meanings

Hmm. I was being slightly ironic. However, I have little problem with 'grinder' - at least the word exists even if its use in the context of a golfer is slightly odd and recent. 'Grinded' makes no sense - as you point out, what's wrong with 'ground'????

As for Wie's golf, as I said, more power to her if she makes the most of her talent. Shame about the undoubted side show that'll always be associated with her now but media outlets and agents all need to make fortunes I guess.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I was kind of wondering how many people are in the "middle" as the poll is binary.

You are such the engineer @Lihu

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Hmm. I was being slightly ironic. However, I have little problem with 'grinder' - at least the word exists even if its use in the context of a golfer is slightly odd and recent. 'Grinded' makes no sense - as you point out, what's wrong with 'ground'????

Because "ground" has the connotation of physically smashing things (likely with a twisting motion), like one would do to coffee beans or pepper.

New words and uses for words are invented all the time, and the point of communication is to be understood. Do you understand what someone is saying when they say "I was really grinding out there" or "It was a grind today" or "I grinded my best and got the job done in the end."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Because "ground" has the connotation of physically smashing things (likely with a twisting motion), like one would do to coffee beans or pepper.

New words and uses for words are invented all the time, and the point of communication is to be understood. Do you understand what someone is saying when they say "I was really grinding out there" or "It was a grind today" or "I grinded my best and got the job done in the end."

Although saying something was "a grind" has long been in common use. You're right of course about new words coming along all the time but I'm not sure what "grinded" adds when we already have "ground". I'm being a pedant I know - I wasn't that serious and it was obvious what Wie was saying, so job done re. the communication side.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Not that this makes a huge difference, but grinder has been used in MMA for years, usually to refer to a wrestler that works hard and grinds/tires his opponent out. It's also a word frequently used in the training room for someone that works extremely hard. "That dudes a grinder."

She's certainly not the first to have used it, maybe the first in golf...though I feel like one of the PGA pros has used it before. Can't say for sure.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Not that this makes a huge difference, but grinder has been used in MMA for years, usually to refer to a wrestler that works hard and grinds/tires his opponent out. It's also a word frequently used in the training room for someone that works extremely hard. "That dudes a grinder."

She's certainly not the first to have used it, maybe the first in golf...though I feel like one of the PGA pros has used it before. Can't say for sure.

As I said, I have little problem with "grindER" . It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.

Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.

As I said, I have little problem with [U]"grindER"[/U]. It was [U]"grindED"[/U] (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd. Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.

I'm with you, it's just not a word and don't believe it'll be added to Webster's anytime soon because ground covers it pretty well.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

As I said, I have little problem with "grindER".

I understand that, I'm just saying grinder is used all the time. She's definitely not the first to say it...especially in sports.

Joel Holden

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

She's adorable and finally matured into a professional.  I really enjoy watching her play.

couldn't have said it better.

I vote the world needs more Wie Kia commercials ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nQ4IueEiA

OK - I admit, I love her commercials:

Granted, it's alot of roll, but still, 600 yards & on in two is pretty impressive for a chick:

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.

Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.

I'm with you, it's just not a word and don't believe it'll be added to Webster's anytime soon because ground covers it pretty well.

I understand that, I'm just saying grinder is used all the time. She's definitely not the first to say it...especially in sports.

According to the book "Tin Cup Dreams" the term "Grinder" applies to the golfers that went through Q-School.

Great read BTW. http://www.amazon.com/Tin-Cup-Dreams-Long-Makes/dp/0786886471

http://www.golfgrinder.com/

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.

****, I misread this and thought you said you have "A little problem with grinder."

My bad.

Joel Holden

****, I misread this and thought you said you have "A little problem with grinder."

My bad.

http://grammarist.com/usage/grinded/

"Grinded" is also a "rare" term according to these dictionaries.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grinded

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/word/grinded/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grinded

"Grinded" sounds like a word from Shakespeare like "Thou hast grinded mine fury to bits. . ." :-$

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I love to watch Wie play, she is a compete package, tall, sexy, smart,  she brings some fun to the LPGA. The best thing she could have done was get her education, if her golf carrier was to ever end, a Stanford Education will always be there for her, that to me shows how smart she was/is to go back to school.

Plus if you look at all the Colleges, Stanford has the highest ROI of any school according to Forbes money.

At a Glance
  • Student Population: 19,945
  • Undergraduate Population: 6,988
  • Student to Faculty Ratio a : 12
  • Total Annual Cost c : $58,846
  • In-State Tuition c : $42,225
  • Out-of-State Tuition c : $42,225
  • Percent on Financial Aid d : 72.0%
  • Percent Admitted e : 7.0%
  • SAT Composite Range f : 1380-1570
  • Forbes Financial Grade: A+

Forbes Lists
  • #1 in Private Colleges
  • #1 in Research Universities
  • #1 in the West

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I'm a fan. She is a smart talented golfer. Wie brings fans to the LPGA. I hope she has many more wins and wins many more majors.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!