IGNORED

Hitting Irons

coach13
Note: This thread is 6070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm ready to start learning how to hit the ball first then the divot, I've been working some. I've hit a few good shots so far. I sweep or scoop and it works fine. Do I need to change. When I have hit the ball first ball flight is better and straighter. I can find a lot of information on the internet but still don't understnad. If I move the ball back to much rsults in a shank, to far hit it fat, and sometimes just a little ground before the ball and thats work fine. will I get more distance by hitting the ball first. Do i actually hit down on the ball and make the divot or hit the ball then make the divot. Confused as you can tell. I've been fortunate and playing well for my first year put a a lot of time in. And ready to get better.

Driver: Cobra HS9 X 9.0 YS Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 16* NV Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 20* NV Stiff
Irons: King Cobra FP 4-LW
Putter: Cobra Optica SL-01 Ball: Bridgestone B330

The I deal hit is ball first then divot. Watch some of the pro's hit, and their divots start coming up after they've hit through the ball. Unfortunately for me, there is a very fine line between hitting the ball first then making a divot. The only way I can correct this is at the range, and putting a tee in the ground next to my ball and see where my divot is, then adjust the ball postion in my next swing. This has taken a lot of note taking to know where to put the ball in each clubs stance. Hope this helps.

Cris
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Thanks Tonight I moved the ball back in my stance and it really helped. I still not taking a divot in front on some a little but I'm skimming the ground right behind it I'm getting closer. Do you start in the middle maye for a 5 iron and 7 just little behind it I know it is different for everyone. I gain a lot of distance tonight just by doing that.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI
Adams A4 Hybrid Irons 3-LWRife 2 Bar Hybrid PutterSrixon Z Star XAdams Cart Bag

Yea, thats typically what i do. But due to the extreme inconsitency of my swing (34 handicap), I have to adjust alot every round. Thats why I like to hit a small bucket before I go play, and the courses that don't have driving ranges, I typically score a little higher as it takes me a couple holes to get on line with my ball placement.

I know that if you have a dead on exact swing 95% of the time this could help your ball striking alot. I'm just not physically/mentally there yet! Good luck.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Thanks I feel like I may still be scooping or sweeping. I'm getting ready to go out to the range and work on it some more. My 4 iron and hybrid i can feel and see my hands ahead of the club and hit the ball well. I just can't get myself do this with rest of my irons.

Next time you're at the range, try some half-swing chips, focusing on hitting down on the ball and getting ball-first contact. I've been doing this for the last few weeks - starting with my PW, then eventually moving up to my 5-iron. If you're consistent in doing this, you will start to learn the proper release mechanics leading to a ball-first strike.

At least for me, when I take a full back-swing, my brain releases my wrist too early, leading to a cast of the club. I'm able to hold the angle of my wrist during the downswing much easier when I take the club just halfway back. I've been working on this the last few weeks, and I'm hoping it will engrain the proper release mechanics into my swing enough so that I can eventually incorporate it into my full-swing.

The I deal hit is ball first then divot. Watch some of the pro's hit, and their divots start coming up after they've hit through the ball. Unfortunately for me, there is a very fine line between hitting the ball first then making a divot. The only way I can correct this is at the range, and putting a tee in the ground next to my ball and see where my divot is, then adjust the ball postion in my next swing. This has taken a lot of note taking to know where to put the ball in each clubs stance. Hope this helps.

All of this moving the ball around in your stance will only lead to pushes, pulls and finally flipping. Learn to hit the ball with a flat left wrist. This creates the line of compression. You will learn to hit the ball straighter, farther and with great spin. Ever want to back up a ball like you see on TV? Start by putting with a flat left wrist, then chipping, pitching and finally full swings. A couple sources to get great information: Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone- a great book that teaches this. www.bendoylegolf.com www.brianmanzella.com

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Thanks for all the informaton. I'll check the information out and keep practicing.

I wouldnt worry to much about taking a divot. With myself it came over time. started with my SW, and now goes down to most clubs.

Its not a must to take a divot, i used to cut the grass so to speak, and still hit the ball fine. If the ball is going pretty much where you want it, i dont see the need to get focus so much on taking a divot, it will come trust me :)
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

Thanks I moved the ball back in my stance a little and cutting the grass as you say, I like that. It's working prety good. before I played the ball up and scooped it. For me that is the easiest way to hit my irons. I think I will keep my new ball position and keep playing and hopefully over time it developed. Thanks I liked that advice.

Sometimes the phrase "hitting down" is taken too literally. I know I did. It really sunk in I was hitting way too down when I played on a wet course (Hello, wet state of Washington ) and one of my divots dug down 3 inches, maybe more into the soft ground. (Hello, China!)

I think the better phrase is to hit through the ball. Your mileage might vary. Hitting down wasn't a good thought for me when my ball was sitting up in the rough. I usually hit a under the ball, catching it high on the clubface.

Other drills that worked for me is to make little swings one handed. With the leading hand, the left, if you're a righty. Try hitting sand wedges 50, 75 yards with one hand. Also, this is weird, but try hitting the ball first with the ball way forward in your stance. Another tip, which I think I saw in a Chuck Cook (not sure if the name is right) video is to take a 5 iron and try hit the ball really low (I don't know, 5 yards high?) with a 1/2 swing.

You might want to verify your hands are ahead of the ball at impact by taping your swing. Sometimes what you feel or think you see, isn't so. Sounds like you are hitting the ball first, but it never hurts to check out your swing on video.

I enjoy hitting punch shots with the ball positioned back. Good for windy days. Bugs the hell out of one of my partners who has a high ball flight. You can hit some super low shots with the ball way back in your stance with a long iron. I once unintentionally hit a shot lower than I wanted, inches, over the water. That was cool to watch. The hydrofoil shot.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!