IGNORED

Wrist Hinge

sj12
Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I havent logged on in awhile but recently i've been struggling with my wrist hinge on the take away. Does anyone know how to tell if my wrist hinge is incorrect? And maybe a picture or diagram showing the proper wrist hinge. Thanks

You can hinge your wrists early in the takeaway or nearing the top - most people do it near the top.      I would only use as much wrist hinge as you're comfortable with - it's easy to overdue it, which leads me to being inconsistent.     I have been working on just using enough, but not too much hinge - it's all about feel.    The more hinge, the more distance, but the less consistency - you have to find your comfort zone.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply. I have a question, most teachers say you should hinge your wrists up to the sky. This feels extremely uncomfortable to me and usually causes a terrible day for ball striking. The most comfortable wrist hinge is shaped like this \ instead of up if you were facing my swing from behind. Is it ok to hinge at an angle?

• Administrator

You can hinge your wrists early in the takeaway or nearing the top - most people do it near the top.

I think most people do it continuously throughout the entire backswing.

Where they feel they hinge their wrists varies, but graphs and accurate measurements would show that they're hinging/cocking from the start, and continuously move throughout the backswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the reply. I have a question, most teachers say you should hinge your wrists up to the sky. This feels extremely uncomfortable to me and usually causes a terrible day for ball striking. The most comfortable wrist hinge is shaped like this \ instead of up if you were facing my swing from behind. Is it ok to hinge at an angle?

@sj12

It would help if you posted a video of your swing in the Members Swings section.  We could see what you are doing.  Also post the alternate way you think teachers are telling us.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For my swing I don't think about it , my wrist hinge is passive and I use gravity to assist hinging on the way down When I start to think about it I start to flip my wrist Those times that I tend think about it and flip a bit is a putting from off the fringe and flopping

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!