IGNORED

New Myrtle Beach Trip Thread - FIRST TIMER LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Note: This thread is 3430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First I'll say that I did look through other MB threads here, but I know that courses that were great 5 years ago could be dog tracks now, and vice versa.  I'm an avid golfer (like most on here), and I've taken a few golf trips before yet I've never been to MB.  I'm coordinating a trip this year via MB Golf Desk (took advice of a poster from another MB thread).  We're going during the second week of November.

I'm likely going to book a "Rewards Package" where you book 4 rounds from 22 select courses and get $100 gift card to use at any of the courses.  I have not yet booked the trip.

Anyway, I have a tentative itinerary, and was hoping to get some opinions based on more recent course experience.

A few quick details first: I'm all about the golf.  Not planning the trip around restaurants, night life, etc.  I place a priority on course maintenance and course layout/aesthetics.   We're not really big fans of links style courses (though Wachesaw is on my list).  Also, I'd like to stay at a place that has a nice practice facility.  What time's would be best to start our rounds (i.e. is 8:00 - 8:30 too early based on temp)?  What are your top picks from the list considering price/value as well? Also, how's the practice facility at Pawley's?

Here's our itinerary and the list of course choices.

NOTE: We can only play EITHER Grand Dunes OR MBN King's North (which would you suggest)?

We're tentatively scheduled to play:

-Grand Dunes

-Willbrook Plantation

-Wachesaw

-Pawley's Plantation

Staying at Pawley's Plantation condos (free breakfasts)

We're driving in from Charlotte (I live there) so I was thinking of playing Grand Dunes first since it's farther north before driving down to Pawley's Island.

Thanks for thoughts!

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

You can also try the forum here: http://www.myrtlebeachgolftalk.com/Forum.aspx Lots of local knowledge and info from all kinds of golfers. Not to take away from all the insight and knowledge you'll get from this forum, of course....;-)

Check out these threads

http://thesandtrap.com/newsearch?search=Myrtle+Beach

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can also try the forum here:

http://www.myrtlebeachgolftalk.com/Forum.aspx

Lots of local knowledge and info from all kinds of golfers.

Not to take away from all the insight and knowledge you'll get from this forum, of course....

Nice.  Thanks!

Check out these threads

http://thesandtrap.com/newsearch?search=Myrtle+Beach

I did go through a bunch of these threads and got some very helpful info, and I'm using MB Golf Desk to book my trip based on a post from one of the threads! :beer:

NOTE: We can only play EITHER Grand Dunes OR MBN King's North (which would you suggest)?

-Grand Dunes

-Willbrook Plantation

-Wachesaw

-Pawley's Plantation

Staying at Pawley's Plantation condos (free breakfasts)

We're driving in from Charlotte (I live there) so I was thinking of playing Grand Dunes first since it's farther north before driving down to Pawley's Island.

Thanks for thoughts!

I have never played any of those courses but our group was planning a trip for next year staying at Pawley's Plantation because we learned about the same deal you mentioned during our trip down there in April.  I'd be interested in your feedback on the courses and condos when you get back.

Joe Paradiso

I have never played any of those courses but our group was planning a trip for next year staying at Pawley's Plantation because we learned about the same deal you mentioned during our trip down there in April.  I'd be interested in your feedback on the courses and condos when you get back.

I'll post after we go.....

Also, I'd like to stay at a place that has a nice practice facility.  What time's would be best to start our rounds (i.e. is 8:00 - 8:30 too early based on temp)?  What are your top picks from the list considering price/value as well? Also, how's the practice facility at Pawley's?

-Grand Dunes

-Willbrook Plantation

-Wachesaw

-Pawley's Plantation

Thanks for thoughts!

You have picked a pretty good lineup IMO, except for Grand Dunes I have played them all.

My ranking from least to best:

Willbrook - very good course. Some tight holes but not very long.

Pawley's - Haven't played there in about 13 yrs but what I remember is a great course. A few holes are on the marsh.

Wachesaw - One of my favorite courses at the beach. Tom Fazio design, lots of variety, long holes, short holes, tight holes.

Based on the temps that time of the year (47-68 degs) start times a little later in the morning would be preferred.

I can't remember the practice facility at Pawley's but I looked it up on Google Earth and it doesn't look bad at all.

Based on your course selections you should have a blast.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

OP,  used to live in Myrtle and now actually living about 45 minutes north of your current location.  Let me know if you need any non-golf advice about the area.  Well you can ask me about the golf also but these folks and the ones on MBGT probably have that covered for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts on playing River Club vs Willbrook (anyone)?

Willbrook is $28 more.  Thoughts on course mainetance/value/difficulty/layout?

I'm a single digit handicap, but the other players range from low to high teens so if one course is more player-friendly while not sacrificing maintenance/quality I'd probably go with the player friendly course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachjimsc

You have picked a pretty good lineup IMO, except for Grand Dunes I have played them all.

My ranking from least to best:

Willbrook - very good course. Some tight holes but not very long.

Pawley's - Haven't played there in about 13 yrs but what I remember is a great course. A few holes are on the marsh.

Wachesaw - One of my favorite courses at the beach. Tom Fazio design, lots of variety, long holes, short holes, tight holes.

Based on the temps that time of the year (47-68 degs) start times a little later in the morning would be preferred.

I can't remember the practice facility at Pawley's but I looked it up on Google Earth and it doesn't look bad at all.

Based on your course selections you should have a blast.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Any thoughts on playing River Club vs Willbrook (anyone)?

Willbrook is $28 more.  Thoughts on course mainetance/value/difficulty/layout?

I'm a single digit handicap, but the other players range from low to high teens so if one course is more player-friendly while not sacrificing maintenance/quality I'd probably go with the player friendly course.

I would choose Willbrook. But the $28 adder is a little steep. Usually you get what you pay for at Myrtle Beach courses however.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I would choose Willbrook. But the $28 adder is a little steep. Usually you get what you pay for at Myrtle Beach courses however.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...
Will brook :) A friend and I played there June 2013. We are low handicap players (5 and 7 respectively) and the guys we got paired with were really struggling. We were patient and never said a word. We got to a par 3 after a couple of holes. My friend and I were on the green about 10 to 15 feet from the hole on our tee shot. On of the guys sprayed two tee shots into the marsh. They told us they preferred we play ahead so they "wouldn't hold us up." We respected their decision and we played on. We ran into 3 marshals that questioned us why we didn't stay with the guys we got paired with. The 3rd guy had the nerve to tell us that we were playing too fast and that they could ask us to leave!!! We finished in 3 and 1/2 hours. We both left laughing about how old and cranky everyone was. I like the course okay but apparently they don't like players under the age of 50 (everyone we saw looked 65 and older) or the hate the "while we are young commercials" and expect everyone to spend the entire day at their course by taking 5 hours to play a round of golf! Too many good courses to waste going back there.:-D

I have trip planned in September and we booked:

True Blue

Barefoot love

Grand Dunes

TPC

My first trip there!!!

• Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

True Blue

Barefoot love

Grand Dunes

TPC

My first trip there!!!

True Blue is my favorite course I have played anywhere.

Barefoot Love is great.

Haven't played Grande Dunes but I have heard great things - playing there next month

TPC - didn't care for it that much...too much hype (Heritage, Tidewater, and Legends Moorland are can't miss courses that are far superior IMO)

Will brook :)

A friend and I played there June 2013. We are low handicap players (5 and 7 respectively) and the guys we got paired with were really struggling. We were patient and never said a word. We got to a par 3 after a couple of holes. My friend and I were on the green about 10 to 15 feet from the hole on our tee shot. On of the guys sprayed two tee shots into the marsh. They told us they preferred we play ahead so they "wouldn't hold us up."

We respected their decision and we played on. We ran into 3 marshals that questioned us why we didn't stay with the guys we got paired with. The 3rd guy had the nerve to tell us that we were playing too fast and that they could ask us to leave!!! We finished in 3 and 1/2 hours. We both left laughing about how old and cranky everyone was. I like the course okay but apparently they don't like players under the age of 50 (everyone we saw looked 65 and older) or the hate the "while we are young commercials" and expect everyone to spend the entire day at their course by taking 5 hours to play a round of golf!

Too many good courses to waste going back there.

I'm confused.  Did you suggest Willbrook, but then talk about how bad your experience was?

True Blue

Barefoot love

Grand Dunes

TPC

My first trip there!!!

Looks like a great lineup, but it could be a lot of driving.  Not sure where you're staying, but Barefoot is farther north while True Blue is on Pawley's Island (south).  It's about an hour between them.  GD is central, and TPC is south/central.

I'm confused.  Did you suggest Willbrook, but then talk about how bad your experience was?

I was laughing at the concept of suggesting Willbrook after my previous experience.  In reality it is not that bad of a course.  I have been frustrated with some courses I have played in the past where the pace of play was too slow, however I have never been told by a marshall that they could "tell us to leave" for playing too fast at 3 1/2 hours!  In an era where pace of play is a huge issue you would think golf courses would welcome and encourage players to play in under 4 hours.  Maybe the marshall just needed to take a laxative. :)

Note: This thread is 3430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!