IGNORED

Tony Romo Quits Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Tony Romo used to play in U.S. Open qualifying every year, but after having back surgery, he hasn't posted a score since January 2013.

"You’ve got to get yourself healthy then figure out where you’re at and go from there for everything,’’ Romo told the paper. “It’s not just golf. It’s a way you live life. I don’t think about it as [giving up] golf. It’s just life. You want to give yourself the best chance to succeed on the football field."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a Dallas Cowboy fan,

FINALLY!!! I mean, I don't mind that he golfs. I didn't like that he was doing so much to try to play in the US open. I mean that had to take a serious amount of his time away from football to do that.

Though my Cowboys wont be fixed until Jerry decides to step down. So NEVER!!! Here comes another 8-8 season for my Cowboys! :cry:

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thats probably one of the smartest things he's done in a while only because of his back issues. If he goes down on the field the BRUTAL Dallas media will say he plays too much golf in the off-season.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Just because he hasn't posted a round doesn't mean he quit golf..........that's what I took from this.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

As a big time cowboys fan, I have to say that I hope that Romo doesn't quit golfing. I think he has shown pretty well how much he cares abou winning. I also get tired of people blaming him for the Cowboys' woes. He's a good player. The man can keep his hobby. I do wish he'd make could friends with a few defensive linemen who are looking for work.

Romo will soon have the rest of his life to play golf and the money to do it whenever and wherever he wants. However, his time window from proving he's not simply a stats compiler who can't win big games is closing rapidly.

All of his focus needs to be on the shorter timeframe.

John

Playing golf in his spare time has nothing to do with his performance on the field..............arguing that it is.......would be pure ignorance.  IMO

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I always wondered why people gave him so much crap about playing golf. All those guys do, he just happens to be one that isn't god-awful at it. Brady and Belichick stunk it up at the Pebble Pro-Am this year, and no one gave them shit for it. Hopefully Romo's back heals up in time. He's always a fun player to watch.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Brady and Belichick stunk it up at the Pebble Pro-Am this year, and no one gave them shit for it.

Nobody's going to give anybody a ration for stinking it up in an occasional pro-am. The hardcore fans will view that scenario as exactly what should happen, as it indicates their priorities being in the proper order.

Playing golf in his spare time has nothing to do with his performance on the field..............arguing that it is.......would be pure ignorance.  IMO

What's ignorant is claiming to know what does or doesn't affect particular aspects of someone else's life -- particularly someone who's viewed only from afar via media reports. That's nearly akin to saying that some celebrity's drinking has no effect on his family life. How the hell would you know?

Sure, that cuts both ways and also pertains to those who were critical of the emphasis Romo formerly put on golf, but remember, it was the principal party here who made the decision to abstain.

John

If I were Tony, I would have given it up about 4 years ago...

"Uh, Tony, that is Tiger Woods with his arm around your ...."

(can you believe the placement of the liner ... they picked the wrong attributes to block)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

FWIW, I know guys like Michael Jordan and lots of baseball players used to play rounds of golf DURING SEASON, even on days where they had night games.  Not commenting on his back issues, but I am sure many good football players (like Dan Marino) have played plenty of golf during the off season without detracting from their performance on the football field.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Not commenting on his back issues, but I am sure many good football players (like Dan Marino) have played plenty of golf during the off season without detracting from their performance on the football field.

This is really neither here nor there, but Marino never won any Super Bowls, either.

John

I think Romo knew he was running out of NFL years and had to focus on playing QB and not golf if he was going to keep his job.  Romo has had the reputation of being the guy that choked under pressure of a "big" game so to eliminate any outside factors that could be blamed he's giving up golf.  I'm sure once he's done in football or at least no longer starting he'll go back to it.  It's also possible, as others stated, he hasn't posted scores but that doesn't mean he isn't playing or practicing.

Joe Paradiso

The "fans" in Dallas use any excuse to pile on Romo ... around 2007, he went to Cabo during a bye week with Whitten. Since they lost the following week, that's all you heard ... talking heads grousing. And then, with the golf, it's all-grousling-all-the-time. Any time Romo "loses a game", it's about golf or his lack of dedication. I don't know how much Romo studies opponents using media compiled by the team, but I suspect that he studies diligently.

Dallas fans still remember Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman studying film, and they hold 2014 Tony to 1971 Roger or 1992 Troy to the film room. Well, if Roger and Troy were playing now, they'd be studying opponents just like Tony -- on his computer. And if Roger or Troy lost, they'd find some excuse to grouse about him. In fact, they did -- Roger tended to overthrow at the start of a game, and Troy was a statue... They were surrounded by  excellent to great defenses... Tony's teams don't have a defense.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It's also possible, as others stated, he hasn't posted scores but that doesn't mean he isn't playing or practicing.

The one thing he certainly wouldn't do is say he's giving it up and then continue to play. There'd be no way of keeping that from the media for long and once it got out, he'd get shredded like never before.

John

I'm a Giants fan and I DESPISE the Cowboys but I totally agree that Romo gets way too much shit. He's a great QB in a bass-ackwards organization.

He'll be back on the course as soon as the playoffs start :)

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Thats probably one of the smartest things he's done in a while only because of his back issues. If he goes down on the field the BRUTAL Dallas media will say he plays too much golf in the off-season.

I really hope this is a joke or u just aren't in the know.  I have lived in DFW area my whole life and the media here is so forgiving it's a joke. If u want brutal go to NYC and Philly media but the folks around here make excuses for our players all the time. The only media that gives anyone a hard time is Botox Jerry and I really just want that clown to disappear

I really hope this is a joke or u just aren't in the know.  I have lived in DFW area my whole life and the media here is so forgiving it's a joke. If u want brutal go to NYC and Philly media but the folks around here make excuses for our players all the time. The only media that gives anyone a hard time is Botox Jerry and I really just want that clown to disappear

That's because Dallas fans, as a whole, are intelligent. They know the reason the Cows are inconsistent is the lack of any defense or consistent running game. As a result, Tony feels like he must do it all. Of course, nothing can explain some of his inexplicable throws other than he feels that he must make something happen.

This year, they've tried again to increase the level of O Line play. Maybe it will help Tony and the running game ... having another fast  RB would help. JJ has drafted a couple of young and slow RB's, and the one reserve kid with speed suffered a knee injury last year.

Still, no defense ... just a new coordinator.

Back to golf -- it's good for Tony's mental psyche that he isn't playing. And he's getting over a back injury, so a vacation from golf is not a bad idea... football is sufficiently brutal.

Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!