IGNORED

How much did your custom-built driver cost?

Note:Β This thread is 3567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. How much did your custom-built driver cost?

• <$300
    • $300-$500
    • >$500

Premium shafts cost $500+ if you buy them direct from the manufacturer. If I'm spending that much for the shaft, I want to make sure it's the right shaft for my swing. I've decided to pay the $125 for the fitting. I'll keep you guys updated on the process.

The fitter's pay a lot less than the price you were quoted, but not likely that you nor I can get them at their price.

The fitting and DIY club is going to save you $$, but only if you get the least expensive shaft that works for you.

Thanks for the promise of updates, this is a very interesting topic for many of us.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My experience is usually a couple different shafts will work. When you get fit ask which shafts have similar performance when you figure out which fits best for you and try different shaft head combos.What I did, and this is the cool thing about smaller equipment companies like Geek, is after I was fit for shafts I called Geek and asked what shaft would work best with their head. Not surprisingly the owner of Geek was very helpful. I tried a couple shafts with his recommendation and it turned out an affordable shaft gave me the flight I was looking for. Don't shy away from cheaper shafts just based on price. If it works it works.

Dave :-)

Im worried that I can outdrive the guy I like to go to as a fitter. The guy I like who just sells stuff at Edwin Watts Golf can bomb me.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I know plenty of people that can "bomb me" that know nothing about golf clubs except for how to swing them. ;-)

I can almostΒ understand paying $125 for a fitting to an individual/small shopΒ who really knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment. I have a little problem with paying $85-100 to a big box sports or golf exclusive retailer for a fitting if I am buying clubs; not so much if the fitting is stand alone and can be applied to a club purchase within a reasonable time.

Forgive my ignorance, but of all the shafts available to achieveΒ a torque, stiffness, and launch, can a $500 shaft be justified over a $250-300 shaft? If the person selling me that shaft is making 30-40%, my b/s monitor would be going crazy if they told me out of all the shafts available, the only one to meet my numbers was $500. Couldn't the difference in the absolute perfect $500 shaft and the next best $250 shaft be less than a yard of distance or dispersion?

Yes, this is partly cynical, but also ignorant/curious seeking knowledge.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I have a buddy who is a pretty serious golfer.Β  He got custom fitted at a custom fitter shop.Β  He ended up with a nike covert 2.0 tour with a Motore speeder shaft.Β  I think he was into it around $750 all said and done....I about choked.

Having said that, if your going to someone who has a very, VERY, extensive shaft selection for multiple heads then it may be worth it.Β  But most big golf stores have fitting carts where you can try at least 3-5 different shafts in any given head.Β  And one of those is probably going to be pretty close...

Demo days can be a good way also.Β  Usually they have a big selection of shafts, and usually your outside on a range where you can really see what the club is doing...

Good Luck.

I am so glad that companies offer 800.00 shafts so that at least once, a man may experience the very best pinnacle of what is humanly and technically possible to experience. It is even more incredibly amazing when it works out without an experienced fitting partner in your corner.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Did the fitting today; it was definitely a good experience. Got half off the fitting since I ended up purchasing the driver.

The driver that worked the best for me was the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha with an X-stiff Fujikura Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec shaft. Average clubhead speed was 110.2, average carry 275.2, average total 293.0. Spin rate 2573 rpm. Here is my dispersion (Big Bertha Alpha in yellow).

I found out that I come in with a slightly open face and negative angle of attack, which is causing a slight push on all my shots.

As for the price, it's right around what I expected. I'm in the $500+ range.

Did the fitting today; it was definitely a good experience. Got half off the fitting since I ended up purchasing the driver.

The driver that worked the best for me was the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha with an X-stiff Fujikura Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec shaft. Average clubhead speed was 110.2, average carry 275.2, average total 293.0. Spin rate 2573 rpm. Here is my dispersion (Big Bertha Alpha in yellow).

I found out that I come in with a slightly open face and negative angle of attack, which is causing a slight push on all my shots.

As for the price, it's right around what I expected. I'm in the $500+ range.

Nice distance and dispersion pattern. How much is the "+"? Was it right around $500?

If so, that seems pretty reasonable. Nice shaft too.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nice distance and dispersion pattern. How much is the "+"? Was it right around $500?

If so, that seems pretty reasonable. Nice shaft too.

Thanks!

If I break down the price, the shaft cost $275, the head cost $400, the grip cost $14, and the fitting cost $75. So yeah, $764 plus taxes. Not cheap! :bugout:

Thanks! Β  If I break down the price, the shaft cost $275, the head cost $400, the grip cost $14, and the fitting cost $75. So yeah, $764 plus taxes. Not cheap!Β :bugout:

It's worth it if you gained 30 yards with better dispersion. I assume the R9 readings were your old driver? In any case, it's a great dispersion for that distance. Scratch golf is in your future!;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

$532

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 cc, Fujikura 7.2 Tour Spec shaft

LOFT UP!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

It's worth it if you gained 30 yards with better dispersion. I assume the R9 readings were your old driver? In any case, it's a great dispersion for that distance. Scratch golf is in your future!;-)

Yes, the R9 was my last driver.

Yes, the R9 was my last driver.

Wow, did you gain 50 yards on average?

That seems pretty significant.

I think I'll do what @billchao suggested. Get fitted.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Wow, did you gain 50 yards on average? That seems pretty significant. I think I'll do what @billchao suggested. Get fitted.

With my R9, the carry distance I got was the same as my total distance, because the spin rate was around 4500 rpm. If the fairways were wet I would actually get backspin on my drives. I lowered that rate by about 2000 rpm with my fitted club, while also gaining significant carry distance. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the distances I get out of this new driver on hard fairways. I would definitely recommend getting professionally fit - it may not be cheap but it's worth it if you're a golf nut like most of us on this site. :-P

Note:Β This thread is 3567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!