IGNORED

Hitting the driver consistently on face, but losing out on distance

Note: This thread is 3571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got a similar problem... My drives off the tee aren't usually more than 200 yards (if I'm lucky) and are probably closer to 170-190... I'm finally getting them to go straight instead of a slicing fade due to changing my grip.

What I lack for in distance off the tee I'm trying to make up for in my short game. I occasionally am blessed with an phenomenal shot close to the green. I'm trying to improve there because I don't think my drives will be much longer in the future. If I think about more of a hip turn while swinging my ball goes into a banana slice.

Get a lesson. It costs what, the same as a round with a cart? I went through the whole routine working on my slice, analyzing it, making progress, having setbacks, when I was out of ideas, I got a lesson. Hit a couple good ones during the lesson, more the first range session and the half a large bucket on the second range session I spent on the driver had some really good shots for me, nice little draw, and an increase in distance. The only time I seem to hit the old towering banana slice is when I fail to concentrate and try to swing out of my shoes.

A good teaching pro can see  stuff you are not even looking for. For instance, he took one look at my  glove and saw I had a grip problem from the wear pattern.

One think I was doing when I was trying to ramp up my swing,like triggering it from the hips, was that I was lifting away from the ball, in an instinctive bid for more power. The pro pointed that out too. I didn't believe him at first, but I really concentrated on not doing it, and was able to start driving slice free with power. (well I am pushing 60, so carrying the 200 yard sign for me is plenty of power.)

Quote:
My advice (coming from a 16 handicapper)... don't get caught up in distance or clubhead speed.  Use those things as tools to know where you are going to hit the ball and concentrate on your actual swing and less on numbers.  The numbers will improve if you concentrate on your swing mechanics.

Totally disagree.  The main difference between me being a 15 capper and me being a 5 capper is distance.  60 yards with the driver and about 30 with each iron. Yes, different strokes for different folks, but distance is, IMO, the best way to get better if you don't already have it.

Notice I said "best" and not "easiest".

How are you physicially, OP?  Your facts were kindof all over the place, but if you can swing the club 100 mph "off balance" I think the best thing to do is improve your balance (which is actually fairly easy to do).

I got longer by taking 6-8 months working with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary/dp/0312605625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1404756430&sr;=8-1&keywords;=fix+your+body+fix+your+swing''

and making sure I had keys 2 and 3 down *cold*.

Now, I have serious issues with my golf swing, mainly that i don't have key #1.  But having a clubhead speed of 105mph and a forward impact condition, coupled with a reliable shot shape, makes you a pretty good golfer on its own. This isn't easy, and my swing isn't great because my head rips forward when I hit the ball, but I can play well because I'm long and my fade is reliable.

I'm not a 300 hitter, but a golf course can really open up when you can hit it hard with a reliable shape.  Before that book and doing key 2 and 3 drills *Constantly* on the range (get forward at impact) I hit my driver about 200-220 with a swing speed in the high 80s.  You can get it faster.  It just takes working an hour or two every single day off the course for about half a year.  THat book will show you how to add speed.

A new driver might help, but a new body would help more.  The book has a bunch of "self-assessment" excercises that will tell you if you can get longer by improving your body.  At a low-80s swing speed, its almost certain (Especially if you are serious that you can swing 100 mph "off balance").

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went back on the launch monitor to try a few things, as well as a 9.5* Jetspeed in Stiff flex. My swing speeds were about 88 mph up to 89 mph. The stiff flex felt a lot better when contacting the ball. The monitor said I was hitting the ball farther with the Stiff flex 9.5* versus the 10.5* Reg and 9.5* Reg. I have to agree that it is my technique, because this time I really engaged my leg and core muscles, and let my arms extend versus trying to muscle it using my arms.

WITB: Driver: TMAG R11S 12* TMAG RBZ S2 3W HL (17*) RBZ S3 3H, 4H, 5H Irons: Rocketbladez 6-PW Wedges: Callaway MD2: 52/12S, 58/14C Putter: Nike Method Mod 30

It is a hard concept but club head speed is very dependent on release. Release is a horrible term in my opinion. I think of it as getting the handle to my back thigh when the club is parallel to the ground. Then as the handle moves 6" forward the club moves 3 feet. That generates big speed. Get some video I'll bet you see that the lag, club head lagging behind the handle is long gone by the time the handle gets to your back thigh. The feeling to me is driving the butt of the handle to the target. Get some video and work towards getting lag and release. You can get that club head speed way up.
  • Upvote 1

Totally disagree.  The main difference between me being a 15 capper and me being a 5 capper is distance.  60 yards with the driver and about 30 with each iron. Yes, different strokes for different folks, but distance is, IMO, the best way to get better if you don't already have it.

Notice I said "best" and not "easiest".

How are you physicially, OP?  Your facts were kindof all over the place, but if you can swing the club 100 mph "off balance" I think the best thing to do is improve your balance (which is actually fairly easy to do).

I got longer by taking 6-8 months working with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary/dp/0312605625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1404756430&sr;=8-1&keywords;=fix+your+body+fix+your+swing''

and making sure I had keys 2 and 3 down *cold*.

I have that book!

Good Exercises. And then I bought the Joey D Vid since I already had the bands and ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Try playing best ball with a longer hitter sometime if you don't believe the above is true.

I like the idea of handle to ball or path or target. The only thing I could add is that as I extend my right arm through the path I can feel how much i bend the shaft and its release through the bottom. I know a lot of people dont consider the right hand at all.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Note: This thread is 3571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!